Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Status: "Waiting for the rattlesnakes to emerge" (set 1 day ago)

49 posts, read 97,421 times

Advertisements

I love "roundybouts" since I grew up back east with the, mostly now gone, traffic circles.

I'm not waiting for the idjit tourists, as they look in bewilderment, approaching VOC, from I17.

I put the pedal to the metal and listen for their squealing brakes.

It's my town and I have right-of-way.

As far as putting one at Jordan Rd in beautiful down town Sedona, yeah that could be incorporated in the, yet again and again and again, plans to tear up the area to find more absurd ways of finding parking for the marauding hoards of tourists.

Since Jordan Rd eventually ends up at a large trailhead parking lot, albeit dirt, that's my expert opinion and answer to the parking problem.

They then have an option to hike up into many trails or hike back to downtown and view all the expensive homes sitting on the red rocks.

A special thanks to R_Cowgirl as the only one to address my OP question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:13 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
You are very welcome.

As for Roundabouts, I have a love/hate affair with them. Some of them are very confusing, and I've found myself taking the wrong road because people are speeding up behind me.
I understand the supposed benefits, and it does keep the stop and go driving down that stoplights cause.

But if the city who installs them doesn't make them big enough (as in the first Roundabout at the entrance to Oak Creek on the way to Sedona) then you have problems.

What problems you say? Notice the curbs with all the tire marks. There are some big trucks that need to make deliveries to Sedona and Oak Creek due to those pesky touristas you all mention. And since nothing in the world happens if Trucks don't move and don't deliver, we do need these big guys. The Roundabouts are sometimes too small for them and give them lots of headaches. I've been behind a truck that had to REAAAAALLLLLY squeeze to get around the one in Oak Creek. You might not think it's a big deal, unless you live in Oak Creek or Sedona and wanted/needed to use a moving truck to move in or out. Yes, you can go the back way, but what if your street crosses through that Roundabout and you have no choice?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 PM

I watched them put in 11 roundabouts and no two the same size!

I'm lucky I guess being on the southern edge of VOC. I just go across Beaverhead Flats, Cornville Rd, into Cottonwood to shop, missing out on the delightful tourist/roundabout experience.

I went the wrong way on a roundabout when they were building them, coming out into the one next to Ace Hardware in VOC. By coming out of the parking lot you missed the construction signs and the two lanes were just on big lane. Luckily no one was anywhere near me.

Yep, I've watched a few trucks that just bumped their way over the center of the smaller roundabouts.

Oh well, we have roundabouts galore, miles of pink sidewalks, an outstanding Search & Rescue to find the lost bodies and you'll find me up on the mesa's looking down on the red rock spectacle.

Fat chance finding me though.

Follow the javelina tracks and you might.

The piggies and I have our secret trails.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
MonkeyClaw wrote: My beef with the roundabouts is that people don't know how to use them. They come up to them, stop, and wait for them to be totally empty before entering. If someone is entering on the other side, the sit and wait instead of entering the roundabout. It ends up not being efficient at all.

As more and more drivers who are unfamiliar with them leave the ranks of the driving public, and more and more drivers grow up with them they will soon become very efficient.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
My beef with the roundabouts is that people don't know how to use them. They come up to them, stop, and wait for them to be totally empty before entering. If someone is entering on the other side, the sit and wait instead of entering the roundabout. It ends up not being efficient at all. Also, they put them in some places where they didn't need them. The backups on 179 are atrocious on the weekends. In fact, we avoid West Sedona (from VOC) on the weekend because we don't want to sit in traffic.
One of the reasons for the backups is poor road design which has led to the roundabout at Schnebly Hill Road being heavily used for U turns which slows up the traffic entering from 179. That is the only roundabout that really tends to back-up but it can have a domino affect slowing up 179 back to Poco Diablo.

The other example of poor design is the Post Office where it can be difficult to pull out into the traffic due both to volume and poor visibility. The exit from the Post Office should have been to the roundabout at Ranger Rd.

Other than that, the roundabouts have helped the flow of traffic. Getting through the Village is quicker with roundabouts than it was when there were traffic lights. In addition, it is much easier for traffic coming down Chapel Rd. to turn left than it was before the roundabout when it could take forever to get a suitable break in the traffic. Similarly, the Y flows better today than it did when there were traffic lights.

However, I do agree that there are many [tourists?] who do not know how to use roundabouts. Just today we saw a van stopped in the middle of the roundabout waiting on the traffic that was supposed to be entering. But it is substantially better today than it was when they were first introduced.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I just came from spending four days in Sedona and have to laugh at this thread. Traffic flowed well in the roundabouts and the roundabouts were great, they make traffic lights look so outdated and like a flawed design.

Also hilarious to see folks hating on the tourists! But expected .

Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Hating tourists is one of the most cherished activities in most tourist towns.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hating tourists is one of the most cherished activities in most tourist towns.
Oh of course. It reminds me of the people who like to wallow in their own self pity.

I would bet the majority of the "locals" in Sedona don't even live there, but on the outskirts or in Cottonwood.

Betting further, the ones who do live there, the majority are either business owners whose income depends on the tourists or transplants from out of state (in reality tourists) who purchase those high-priced, high HOA fee homes that look so pretty and have the view.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I would bet the majority of the "locals" in Sedona don't even live there, but on the outskirts or in Cottonwood.
Hey, I resemble that remark..........I think.

Define "outskirts".

I live right at the first roundabout in VOC coming in from I17.

I love the roundabouts and tourists since I don't have to deal with them.

I go the back way, as I call it, to get to anywhere and most of my friends live in and around the village.

Sorry to disappoint you but most of the business owners actually live in Sedona since they are the ones sucking the money out of the tourists and can afford the expensive homes.

Why would anyone with money want to live in a homely little town like Cottonwood.

Last edited by aridzona; 11-17-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM

aridzona wrote: Why would anyone with money want to live in a homely little town like Cottonwood.

And even people without money! I spent a week in Sedona at the end of January / beginning of February and really liked it as always. I thought I may want to live there again, but the rents seemed on the high side so I drove down to Cottonwood to get a feeling for it. No way I'd want to live there. No thanks! I bet that is one hot hell hole in the summer. Sedona's hot enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona