Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak On a Leash View Post
Same. It reminded me too much of my native Jersey Shore traffic. Drove me nuts. That's why when I visited I camped south of Sedona and went into Cottonwood to do most of my shopping. And I was there in mid November until just after Thanksgiving. It's a pretty place but crowded. Definitely worth visiting at least once.

I'm sorry I didn't see a lot of this country in the '60s. Seems to get real charm and get away from the "cookie cutter" buildings and stores you have to leave the country these days.
Not at all, you just need to know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 12:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
It's SO beautiful! Well worth visiting. To me the rocks are magical, but not in a literal way. Certainly possible to visit & not do any of the new age stuff. Traffic is really bad though! We stayed in Flagstaff & had to travel over a holiday weekend due to my sis having kids & it was horrible, never again. It took us well over an hour to get to Sedona b/c the road followed Slide Rock Park (which I didn't realize) & it was some of the most frustrating traffic I've ever been in, bar none. A crawl, every single torturous mile.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
It's SO beautiful! Well worth visiting. To me the rocks are magical, but not in a literal way. Certainly possible to visit & not do any of the new age stuff. Traffic is really bad though! We stayed in Flagstaff & had to travel over a holiday weekend due to my sis having kids & it was horrible, never again. It took us well over an hour to get to Sedona b/c the road followed Slide Rock Park (which I didn't realize) & it was some of the most frustrating traffic I've ever been in, bar none. A crawl, every single torturous mile.
Traffic has been really bad recently. Uptown is always bad and that slows traffic coming in from the canyon. The recent extension to Tlaquepaque has made things worse as there are more pedestrians crossing the road to get to it and that stops the traffic. Why they didn't put in an over/under pass beats me. The roundabout at Schnebly Hill road has always been a problem because a lot of people use it to make a U turn and that slows the through traffic.

In addition, a lot of tourists - especially Californians - are clueless at navigating roundabouts, don't understand that 'yield' does not mean 'stop' and they slow everything down.

But the fundamental problem with traffic is that there are only three roads in/out and they all come together at the Y and until that gets fixed with some kind of alternative route around the Y, traffic will only get worse.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:53 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
From what I read, is the city trying to market itself as a hipster, hippy, trendy new age kind of small town? I don't find that appeal at all in my opinion. However, the scenery looks fantastic. I never been there before, but willing to check it out.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...new-age-hotels
Sedona has been known as a "New Age / metaphysical mecca" since....like...... forever....

That's always been part of its charm.

If you don't believe in the metaphysical aspects, then move on. It's really not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

In addition, a lot of tourists - especially Californians - are clueless at navigating roundabouts, don't understand that 'yield' does not mean 'stop' and they slow everything down.
I think you meant Phonecians (Phoenix residents). I know how to navigate a roundabout just fine, thank you very much!

Last edited by kttam186290; 04-23-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Sedona has been known as a "New Age / metaphysical mecca" since....like...... forever....

That's always been part of its charm.

If you don't believe in the metaphysical aspects, then move on. It's really not a big deal.

I think you meant Phonecians (Phoenix residents). I know how to navigate a roundabout just fine, thank you very much!

No, I mean Californians. You must be the exception that proves the rule.

No doubt you are an excellent driver but the last two near misses I had were California plates making a right turn from the left lane at the main Y roundabout. Mostly, they just come to a dead stop while they try to figure out what is happening. As I have grown to expect clueless behavior, I tend to be extra vigilant when navigating the roundabouts.

I am sure Californians are very nice people, just keep them away from roundabouts.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 04-23-2017 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
The wife and I were looking to retire in the Sedona area, but have changed our minds after watching property values climb ridiculously for what you get...even in the VOC. We were last there in September of 2016, and it was not too bad...but I would never set foot in Slide Rock Park or walk around downtown, either. We took a drive up Schnebly Hill Rd. in the Jeep, hiked the West Fork Trail and Templeton Trail, and it was everything Sedona should be. We have also mountain biked along the Bell Rock Pathway, among other loops down to Oak Creek and Cathedral Rock. We love it out there, and we don't engage in the "New Age" nonsense. You can still enjoy Sedona in it's natural state...you just have to do things that are not shared by the normal tourist entourage...hike and bike and off road and you'll still be able to enjoy it in its pristine state.
My only gripe is the cost of a small, outdated house in VOC is so expensive it makes no sense to buy there. You would need to renovate to the tune of 20k in order to update some of the homes, and it's just not feasible looking at the comps in the area. To buy a turnkey home you need to go in at least 400k or 500k for a modest place, and easily into the 500-700k range for a more "upscale" location...with hardly any land.
Sad, but we are looking into Utah and even North Carolina in order to stay within our budget and get a decent size property to keep horses and have some privacy. But we will always visit Sedona because we love it there.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:51 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
The wife and I were looking to retire in the Sedona area, but have changed our minds after watching property values climb ridiculously for what you get...even in the VOC. We were last there in September of 2016, and it was not too bad...but I would never set foot in Slide Rock Park or walk around downtown, either. We took a drive up Schnebly Hill Rd. in the Jeep, hiked the West Fork Trail and Templeton Trail, and it was everything Sedona should be. We have also mountain biked along the Bell Rock Pathway, among other loops down to Oak Creek and Cathedral Rock. We love it out there, and we don't engage in the "New Age" nonsense. You can still enjoy Sedona in it's natural state...you just have to do things that are not shared by the normal tourist entourage...hike and bike and off road and you'll still be able to enjoy it in its pristine state.
My only gripe is the cost of a small, outdated house in VOC is so expensive it makes no sense to buy there. You would need to renovate to the tune of 20k in order to update some of the homes, and it's just not feasible looking at the comps in the area. To buy a turnkey home you need to go in at least 400k or 500k for a modest place, and easily into the 500-700k range for a more "upscale" location...with hardly any land.
Sad, but we are looking into Utah and even North Carolina in order to stay within our budget and get a decent size property to keep horses and have some privacy. But we will always visit Sedona because we love it there.
You could go just a little ways out of Sedona and find much better bargains with land. If you love Sedona you're still very close but without the prices or crowds.

Or head to NC or UT too. Just saying, it's not the only town in the Verde Valley area.

Rimrock, 5700 N Spitfire Drive, 86335, AZ, Residential

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 PM

82 posts, read 94,768 times
Default I'll bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Two things come to mind when I see the rich elitist people migrating to a city... Boulder, Colorado and Berkeley, California.
Okay, so what are the two things?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:24 PM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFog View Post
Okay, so what are the two things?
Boulder, Colorado and Berkeley, California.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Well, Sedona is solidly Democrat, that's for sure. Interesting this old thread got revived.

I've spent a lot of time there on working vacations, even looked to rent a house there. Rents are through the roof, of course.

The best of all my visits was in December. Great time of year to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona