Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Flag is pricey because the residents are greedy and can't wait to make a buck.
Flagstaff is pricey because demand for home s exceeds supply. If greed alone worked I would price my house at a couple million and be out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
I am from Mpls., MN. Am thinking of perhaps retiring in Arizona, hear there is no tax on Social Security? I love downhill skiing and a few years ago, I stayed in Flagstaff, as I was thinking of perhaps living there. I went Spring skiing @ Ariz Snow Bowl which was great. I read up more on Flagstaff and seem to recall some tension with Native American tribes and the land around the Snow Bowl?
Are there any more liberalish towns straight West of Flagstaff and close to the Calif. border?
Flagstaff appealed to me because of its moderate temps (compared to MN!) and it is so near greenery which I know I would miss terribly, so am hoping for pines nearby and not to be super rural. Also, may be a tall order I know, but I am used to being surrounded by the arts:theatre, concerts, museums, and sports as a fun second. Seems like a very tall order as I write!

Lastly, I have a close relative in Los Angeles. So, is there anything straight west of Flagstaff, near Calif border, that meets even most of these desires? Near the Arz/Calif border, then would I only be approx. a couple of hours from LA? Thanks All, KPhit

Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kphitz View Post
Also, may be a tall order I know, but I am used to being surrounded by the arts:theatre, concerts, museums, and sports as a fun second. Seems like a very tall order as I write!
This is the West. We don't have cultural meccas outside the big cities.

Quote:
Lastly, I have a close relative in Los Angeles. So, is there anything straight west of Flagstaff, near Calif border, that meets even most of these desires? Near the Arz/Calif border, then would I only be approx. a couple of hours from LA? Thanks All, KPhit
Due west of Flagstaff is Kingman. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it there.

For great skiing, incredible scenery and a nicer (in my opinion) climate than Minnesota, try Lake Tahoe/Incline Village. You can't get any closer to the California border than that. It's even more expensive than Flag, though -- I was looking at $700k homes there recently that were nothing special. Down near the lake they are multiple millions. Reno is the closest city of size.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
If you run conservative, look into Doney Park. It is just east of Flag, and many more people out that way do the rural residential horsey thing.

One of the things I enjoy about Flagstaff is that it is a pretty live and let live place. A nice, friendly culture. Sure, west Flag. runs liberal, as that is where the academics live. But folks in all directions are more conservative. Also, there is a sizable Native American population in Flagstaff, which I enjoy, but you might night. They seem like really good folks for the most part.

It is pricey for the same reason the Mother Lode is pricey. It appeals to equity-rich boomers/ second home owners from Phoenix and S. California.

It is very pretty.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Pine trees and mountains do not equal a conservative populace. Flagstaff is a university town. City government is decidedly liberal. They are currently considering banning plastic grocery bags. The HORROR!!
Having said that, Live and Let Live is pretty much the rule in all of AZ. Liberal or conservative, I can't imagine anything more ABYSMALLY boring than having to associate with people all the time who think just like I do.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:57 AM

43 posts, read 105,222 times
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurstcowboy View Post
Hi, My wife might be transfered to the Flagstaff area for work and I'm just curious what housing costs are there. We currently live in the Mountains near Yosemite Ca. The mountains is where we want to live with property as well. Preferably where there are pine trees We would like to have a home with a couple acres at least that is also close to National forest or BLM land that we can use for riding ATV's and hunting and horses.

If anyone can give us some ideas of towns that would fit what we are looking for I would really appreciate it.

Also if anyone has some time, We are not your typical Californians, we hate this state! We love all kinds of stuff outdoors, ATV's Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Horses, Jet sking, Boating....anything outdoors really. We can't stand these liberals around here and the thinking process of most of the people here is absolutly crazy. Commen sense is being bred out of people here!! Anyway, tell us a little bit about Arizona and why you like it so much, and maybe what you don't like also.

Thanks for all the help
Casey and Melissa

Welcome to Arizona then!! I see to many transplants from the land of nuts and fruitcakes and the East Coast move here and they do everything they can to make AZ like CA. What it seems they hate the most is are great Pro Gun attitude. God Bless Arizona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM

43 posts, read 105,222 times
The most liberal cities in Arizona are Flagstaff,Tucson,and Sedona

Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
I'll give the liberals in Flagstaff and Tuscon this...they are more focused on a lot of issues that Conservatives can share, anti-GMO, anti-corporate feudalism, anti-surveillance society, anti-over vaccinations, even a embryonic mild mistrust of big government which is total absent in most liberals...A liberal in Flagstaff does not necessarily equate to an east coast liberal or SF cali liberal. Sure they have their "tribal" talking points that all liberals share, but if you get them with the guard down, sometimes you can actually have some give and take conversations. The Conservatives in the area might run more libertarian than those in the big cities as well.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,272 times
My husband and I just bought retirement property on the east side of Flagstaff off of Camp Townsend Winona Road. It is a log home on 5 acres of Ponderosa Pine bordering National Forest. It's out in the country but still only 10 minutes to the nearest grocery store and the mall...and Home Depot which my hubby runs to several times a day! We see elk and jack rabbits daily. The stars at night are amazing! We also are into the outdoors; the number of hiking trails within a 5 mile radius is outstanding. The Grand Canyon is a little more than an hour away. Walnut Canyon is 15 minutes away. We're retiring from Southern California and are definitely liberal but our next door neighbors who have 7 acres are conservative and we get along just fine. They are, like us, not into hunting but some of their kids are. Politics aside, Flagstaff is a wonderful place to live with a mix of friendly, interesting, and varied people. We love it! While it is definitely cheaper than SoCal, it's not cheap when compared to the Midwest. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM

26 posts, read 54,935 times
I ran across this thread over a year ago when I was first transferred to Flag. This is a great town. You can't beat the weather, you can't beat the people, and you can't beat the scenery. Sure, it's expensive compared to much of the country. We ended up downsizing by 1,000 ft. when we purchased our home. I was a bit nervous about a smaller home and my 5 member family, but have found that we don't spend much time inside. Every weekend we are off hiking around somewhere, enjoying the scenery, and having adventures.

The kids enjoy the trails around our neighborhood, we're very happy with the schools, and the people are friendly. As far as politics go, I enjoy the mix of liberal and conservative. I agree with several other posters, that a strand of libertarianism seems to run through the community.

If you find yourself being offered an opportunity in Flagstaff....take it. If you feel like you want to live in Flagstaff, FIND EMPLOYMENT FIRST!! In the short time that I've been here, I've met several people who have come here without a job, and end up having to move away to a place with better prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona