Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,412 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have always wanted to live in Florida, and i think now is the time. When it comes to moving to Florida there is a wide variety of cities! To be honest I've spent a lot of time on this forum trying to see what people view as their favorite city. And after hours of reading I have came to make a list of which i think are the best favored ones:

1.Daytona Beach
2.West Melbourne
3.Jupiter
4.Satellite Beach
5.Cocoa
6.Palm Beach
7.port orange
8.Coral Gables
9.Coral Springs
10.Venice
11.Parkland
12.Navarre
13.St Augustine
14.Gainesville

My criteria is:

housing & overall cost of living
crime
climate
strong job market
multicultural
natural beauty & access to nature
nice area with shops/restaurants
nice public spaces/parks
decent school system.

I pesonally would preffer South FL. So please tell me what do you think is the best/worst of those cities, and please mention why you believe so. Any suggestion would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:11 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
[QUOTE
housing & overall cost of living
crime
climate
strong job market
multicultural
natural beauty & access to nature
nice area with shops/restaurants
nice public spaces/parks
decent school system.
[/quote]

I would recommend Satellite Beach most from your list. Housing costs and overall cost of living is relatively low, compared to the others. It has a very low crime rate compared to all of your other choices. It features the usual coastal climate, many you mentioned aren't on the coast and don't have the ocean breezes. The job market is no better or worse than your other choicest though I'm not aware of anyplace with a strong job market currently. It only lacks in what you term multicultural. The only place that would fulfill that is South Florida but then you lose other criteria you're looking for. Satellite Beach is a beautiful town that hasn't been overdeveloped like the most of the cities you mentioned. You're right on the beach and also have a nice park system and bike trails. There are plenty of nice shops and restaurants nearby. The school system is excellent and has had a long tradition of quality education.

Satellite Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Satellite Beach Trail
Satellite Beach

Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
That's a pretty diverse list.

The town of Palm Beach is waaay too expensive, but, if you like South Florida access without the accompanying hectic-ness, Jupiter is your best bet on that list. It is the most Northern city (besides a small village called Tequesta) in Palm Beach County, which is the most Northern County in "South Florida."

Low crime, access to world class shopping and dining within a 10 - 20 minute drive, access to three major international airports, a greatschools.net school system rated "10" out of 10, Palm Beach County is very very diverse. Natural beauty, public parks, state parks and lots of nature preserves nearby (Jonathan Dickinson, Everglades, Blowing Rocks preserve, Loxahatchee preserve, etc. etc. etc.).

Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Consider Tallahassee.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Coral Springs, from your list. The only thing that's an issue from your list is cost of living, but you can find lots of stuff near Coral Springs that's less expensive.

The thing about listing many of the areas you do is that they are often part of a larger metro area...ie, Coral Springs is in Broward County. Broward has LOTS of municipalities that are right on top of each other and living in one is usually as good as living in another. Parkland abuts Coral Springs, for example...and much of that area is indistinguishable from the next.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Curious as to why the Tampa area isn't on the list?

I like Daytona Bch because of the beach and colleges, and St Augustine because it's close to employment and Jacksonville, but would also recommend Ocala for an all around small city near nature. Satellite Bch has a good high school but the general population area spreads out to include a large area; Melbourne, Palm Bay, Eau Gallie, Cocoa.

Have you been to any of these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida