Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM

31 posts, read 230,462 times

Advertisements

who would be better off financially speaking in these two scenarios:

A couple making:

300k-400k starting and 500k-600k after a while in Australia. Tax rate for two thirds of that would only be 30% (I think) due to business tax in the higher income range. This would be living in cheaper area (not in the middle of a city >30 minutes away but nearish to coast). Definitely don't want to live in the middle of a city.

OR a couple making:

250k-280k starting and 350k-400k (POSSIBLY 500kish with good decisions) after a while in America and 200k-300k in debt (at start). Would be taxed at 33-35%. (again, not in the middle of a city >30 minutes away but nearish to coast)

Don't have super expensive tastes but would like to live in beautiful home/spacious and drive nice cars like bmws or porsches like caymans nothing toooo extravagant.

Overall both scenarios would get about same tax rate. So which one would be better off financially speaking. Would it be believable to be saving minimum $100,000 a year for retirement/investments? What kind of life style in Australia could this afford? What kind of life style in America?

Also, already have a US citizenship. I love florida, used to live there but I think I'd love Australia about the same. Have a brother in florida though and parents would have to live with me when they're older not sure how that goes if I went to Australia how they would go about getting to me because of visa issues?

Thank you a lot if any can share some knowledge about this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM

anyone?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM

198 posts, read 464,312 times
I don't think too many people making that kind of money attend these forums. As an unemployed person making 0 I would think common sense would dictate not going into debt. When I once had some money I visited Australia in 1989. It was extremely expensive. The cost of living was astonomical and I cannot fathom that it has decreased, but I do not know those facts. I hope you can find an ultra wealthy forum somewhere because it isn't here. If you would like to live in the backwoods of VT so we can relocate to Florida, please let me know. (of course I do not see too many BMWs and Porsches here cause they cannot handle our dirt roads). Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxmb View Post
who would be better off financially speaking in these two scenarios:

A couple making:

300k-400k starting and 500k-600k after a while in Australia. Tax rate for two thirds of that would only be 30% (I think) due to business tax in the higher income range. This would be living in cheaper area (not in the middle of a city >30 minutes away but nearish to coast). Definitely don't want to live in the middle of a city.

OR a couple making:

250k-280k starting and 350k-400k (POSSIBLY 500kish with good decisions) after a while in America and 200k-300k in debt (at start). Would be taxed at 33-35%. (again, not in the middle of a city >30 minutes away but nearish to coast)

Don't have super expensive tastes but would like to live in beautiful home/spacious and drive nice cars like bmws or porsches like caymans nothing toooo extravagant.

Overall both scenarios would get about same tax rate. So which one would be better off financially speaking. Would it be believable to be saving minimum $100,000 a year for retirement/investments? What kind of life style in Australia could this afford? What kind of life style in America?

Also, already have a US citizenship. I love florida, used to live there but I think I'd love Australia about the same. Have a brother in florida though and parents would have to live with me when they're older not sure how that goes if I went to Australia how they would go about getting to me because of visa issues?

Thank you a lot if any can share some knowledge about this.
The Aussie dollar is on par with the U.S. dollar now. I lived in Sydney in the early 90s for 2.5 years when the Aussie dollar got you about 70 cents US. Don't know your whole financial situation, but sounds like Australia might be a better choice for you, except for perhaps the parent part.

Just about every city worth living in Oz is on or near the coast, so finding a property ~30 mins from Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Brisbane would not be too tough. Sydney is a fabulous cosmopolitan city with much more to offer than any place in Florida and better weather (less humidity year round). Both Sydney & Melbourne are expensive cities to live in, maybe just a step down from NYC/Boston. In fact, Melbourne's sister city in the US is Boston and there are striking similarities between the two.

Aussies are definitely warm people and like to be out and about, not inside glued to their TVs like a great number of Americans. The work week for most used to be 35 hours (not sure about now), but it was quite common for an entire office to go out for cocktails and dinner.

I would go back in a heartbeart if I could get another work visa ...

Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The Aussie dollar is on par with the U.S. dollar now. I lived in Sydney in the early 90s for 2.5 years when the Aussie dollar got you about 70 cents US. Don't know your whole financial situation, but sounds like Australia might be a better choice for you, except for perhaps the parent part.

Just about every city worth living in Oz is on or near the coast, so finding a property ~30 mins from Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Brisbane would not be too tough. Sydney is a fabulous cosmopolitan city with much more to offer than any place in Florida and better weather (less humidity year round). Both Sydney & Melbourne are expensive cities to live in, maybe just a step down from NYC/Boston. In fact, Melbourne's sister city in the US is Boston and there are striking similarities between the two.

Aussies are definitely warm people and like to be out and about, not inside glued to their TVs like a great number of Americans. The work week for most used to be 35 hours (not sure about now), but it was quite common for an entire office to go out for cocktails and dinner.

I would go back in a heartbeart if I could get another work visa ...
Financial situation is what I stated in the situations with the couples -

A couple making:

OR a couple making:

Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
It would not be debatable with me, I would be gone to Australia in a second, I would not even bother to pack; throw some clothes in a bag and go, the movers can get everything later, or at least just throw things in a long term storage.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
The Australian economy & government spending habits are in far, far better shape than Florida is right now, and likely for a good long while in the future as well.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
I remember reading an article recently that one of Australia's leading political figures addressed the foreigner's in Australia and commented...learn our language...obey our rules...or get out of our country...a powerful statement that should help in making your decision...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 AM

162 posts, read 305,867 times
I would love to live in Australia - it's just so darned expensive if you want to live in a nice area. My aunt recently bought a very modest home in Kingscliff (gorgeous coastal town just south of Brisbane) and paid $600,000, which she considered a good deal! I was looking at homes on line and the crappiest ones were in the 200 thousands.
It's as beautiful as Florida but with a just fraction of the people, traffic etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I remember reading an article recently that one of Australia's leading political figures addressed the foreigner's in Australia and commented...learn our language...obey our rules...or get out of our country...a powerful statement that should help in making your decision...
bring this to the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida