Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,349 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I need your help.

My husband and I are planning to move to Florida sooner than later, (as in the next year or so), and we need to know where to go.

The general area we want to move to is somewhere between Orlando and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

My husband lived in Miami for about 5 years when he first came to the US from South America, (now there's a story I bet you never heard before ). But, it's been a long time and he's out of the loop as to how things are down there as far as real estate, education system, quality of life, crime rates, etc...(even though he won't admit it). All he knows that is probably still relevant is that Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/West Palm Beach are too expensive.

We currently live in South Philadelphia--yeah, the home of "Rocky" and the PHILLIES!!! (I'm a native and the hubby's been here for about 4 years). Unfortunately, this city isn't what it used to be, and I'm not raising any kids here. (If you're thinking of coming here, let me know and I'll fill you in). I've always wanted to move to FL and my husband loves it there since it's like home base for him as far as the US goes.

I'm a city girl at heart, so I don't want to move anywhere that's totally dead, but also has to be good for raising a family, (school systems, safety, etc.). I'd prefer to be close to a beach, (when you're surrounded by concrete your whole life, believe me, it's heaven). I also want to be close to the stadium(s) so I can watch my Phils play when they go down there.

Ok, so that's my story.

I could sit here all day and research statistics, demographics and the like, (which I probably will do anyway once we narrow down to a few locations), but I'd like to get some feedback from people who can tell me first hand. If anybody could shed some light, (no haters, please), it would be most appreciated!

THANKS!!!

P.S. I'm scared to DEATH of snakes! Please don't suggest any place that is known for them!

Last edited by LRam1018; 07-20-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,520,150 times
Orlando is a great city to raise a family. Check out the Orlando forums for a better idea also, unfortunately snakes are everywhere in FL.. But you can take some precautions to avoid them/keep them away from your home.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM

162 posts, read 678,352 times
Where do you foresee working? That’s often the determining factor. Are you retiring? Are you planning to raise kids here? I see in your original post it says that you are not raising them now.

Definitely do your on line research first to check all your boxes for how good schools are, the average incomes in an area, demographics, etc. I’m a Philly suburb girl, but still have family living in the NE section. Look at the real estate to see what you can afford for your lifestyle. A lot depends on what you want and what you’re accustomed to. I have friends who grew up practically in shacks in Manayunk but won’t move here unless they can move to Diddy or Stallone’s neighborhoods! Champagne taste on a beer budget! Then there’s the flipside with other friends just being happy having a single home here where it’s nice 9 months out of the year.

Also, the Phils play in Clearwater during spring training, closer to Tampa so you’d be able to see them more often than if you wait for a three game Phils/Marlins stint. The Flyers always come to Tampa for the Lightning matchup too.

I think it’s about an hour from Orlando to Coco Beach. That’s not all that much better than your current distance to AC for example. So south Florida may be your better option. It depends upon your priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida