Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 PM

90 posts, read 410,698 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering how bad the bugs really are in Florida...

What reinforces my fears about them is the fact that every house for sale or rent that has a pool ALWAYS has a pool cage. This is obvious evidence of the bug problem...if I look at Arizona houses for rent, none of them have pool cages.

So, what is your take on this? Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
I think pool cages are for safety sake such as keeping out kids and alligators and etc .. I think it is just a safety standard .

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM

263 posts, read 889,646 times
Default ^^^

Ditto. You don't want to be surprised by an gator in your pool, or have someone fall in and drown.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM

162 posts, read 677,486 times
Of the homes I personally know that do not have screen enclosures, the people lived up north previously and didn't think it was necessary. I do know of people without the enclosure who have found animals swimming in the pool and the occasional gator - even those who live in these nice little planned communities. Having had a pool both with and without the cage, I prefer having it.

It's so nice to be able to open all the doors and windows in the house (once the weather breaks of course) and see right into the pool without obstruction. The lanai area becomes a true extension of the living area. If I leave my screen doors propped open for the dogs I do get frogs, snakes, butterflies, dragonflies and wasps around or in the pool. During lovebug season the screen enclousre is a Godsend! That's probably the worst I've experienced of the bugs and it is shortlived but it's nice not having to deal with it while enjoying the pool.

It also keeps debris such as leaves from entering the pool and staining the finish. My pool stays much cleaner overall with the enclosure.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Yep, bugs. Although I live on a golf course and they spray the greens regularly, so we don't have as many bugs. I live right on a lake/pond also. I have seen gators in this lake. I have also seen possums, iguanas, and other wildlife outside my lanai. I have cats who go outside on my lanai. I would not to let them outside if there wasn't something between them, and ME, and outside world.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
There are advantages of having a screen enclosure and there are disadvantages.

Advantages:
Keeps out bugs
Keeps grass clippings out of the pool (pool stays cleaner)
Keeps kid/animals in/out.
Pool stays cooler in the summer.
Do not need an additional fence.

Disadvantages:
Ugly
Pool is more expensive to heat
Water stays colder longer into the spring

Having lived in houses that have/don't have screen enclosures I can say that there are advantages and disadvantages of both open and enclosed pools. It's a matter of preference. In my last house we had a larger home on a small lot. The pool took up most of the yard and having the screen enclosure made the pool area seem more of an extension of the house. I liked being able to leave the doors open in the winter to allow the fresh air in the house.

In my current house the lot is MUCH larger and there are extensive plantings around the pool. The lush landscaping makes the pool area seem more like a resort and less like an extension of the house. I love it also but more debris does get into the pool than my enclosed pool.

The open pool is much warmer than my enclosed pool was. That's not as great this time of year but I assume that the pool will stay warmer of the winter and heat up faster in the spring, which should lower costs for heating the pool this winter.

I think that pool design is very very dependent on the site the pool will be installed, AND the size and layout of the lot. I liked my enclosed pool but i also like my open pool. They are different.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,515 times
I'm not a fan of cages either...but the law mandates that you have to have something to block your pool off from outsiders wandering in (the whole "attractive nuisance" thing with kids, etc). You either have to have a 5 foot high fence, or a screened enclosure.

I went with a fence as I really don't like enclosures, but the enclosures can be nice...it's almost like an additional room on the house. Plus it keep grass clippings, etc out of the pool.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

227 posts, read 856,193 times
We've had homes with both. Without the cage more chances of animals and debris getting into your pool. We found out in S. FL that raccoons were coming and washing up at night and then pooping in the pool. We solved that by having the pool cleaner run at night.

I like having the enclosure we have as it keeps the pool and patio much cleaner and bug free. I too agree it's like an extension of the house. We use solar panels to heat the pool.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
After Andrew took down our pool screen we never replaced it, when we moved into this house we took it down. The pool cages really help in the summer months with keeping the mosquitos and other bugs out. I have seen a duck in my pool twice, frogs, the birds like to drink from the pool if the first step is low on water, we do get tree debris when it rains or its windy out. The pools with screens on them also stay a lot cooler in the summer months. My pool in the summer can and does feel like a bathtub July - September usually. I will say most of my neighbors don't have screens on their pools. Many people after Andrew just never replaced them. To me it's prettier without the screen, but it is also more work.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
I have been wondering how bad the bugs really are in Florida...

What reinforces my fears about them is the fact that every house for sale or rent that has a pool ALWAYS has a pool cage. This is obvious evidence of the bug problem...if I look at Arizona houses for rent, none of them have pool cages.

So, what is your take on this? Thanks for your opinions.

As simply and clear cut as I can put it: YUP!
All the other reasons are extranious and +s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida