Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Call your power company and ask if they do energy audits for residential customers. Some will do them for free or a very modest fee. Also check with your bill and see if they've started to add addtional costs to the bill. My co-op now charges a $24/month 'customer fee' that they didn't used to and also a variable 'wholesale power adjustment' fee based on any price spikes from their suppliers when they have to buy power not generated from one of their plants.
If you have one of the newer meters you can just go out to the meter and monitor your use with no guessing. Turn things on and off and so on. No more reasons for excuses,
"I don't know what it making my bill so high"?
Yea right, classic denial, I think they actually believe it like someone is stealing the electric to hear them talk.
Electric use is completely within the control of the consumer. My bill averages $45.00 to $60.00 and it is no accident. A friend gave me a freezer he didn't want. The first month my bill jumped $40.00. I stuck it out front for bulk trash. You see people with 4 or 5 TV on with no one watching, every light on in the house, extra fridges running in their carports, half a dozen 100 watt flood lights on all night, of course no timers and they wonder why their bill is so high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 PM

329 posts, read 775,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
Lets just say that it went over a $100. extra on my bill.
B B gun, problem solved

Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times
I'm going to try Home - Modest Needs® unsure how this will work but it's better then no electric that's for sure. Look like it could be a slow process so I'm still going to check with other programs because I need it done soon before the electric is cut off but so far modest needs seems to be my only hope.

I see some whom have been waiting along time and I only put in headline Unusual electric bill I should of done better.

Hopefully it will be put up soon.

Last edited by Starlady01; 10-13-2010 at 06:48 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Well I applied but they ain't posted it yet. I have turned in all information and they said today now wait till tomorrow. My electric is cheaper then most applying but huge for me. A few of my friends and family already knew I had had problems in the past with high electric bill. I paid as much as I could myself. If they post it and I'm hoping so before I lose my electric. O my

Could be a ceiling fan as well combo flood light and ceiling fan the fan is connected direct to line unsure if that makes a difference or not the person installing was suppose to of know what he was doing I'm sure he did since he was hired by the government do install it.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM

After turning in all the forums and having to pay to fax a few costing over 6.00 they still want more and more.

After all this I decided I will stare or what ever it takes to pay it myself.
I ain't gonna beg anymore the heck with them. I would rather sit in the dark.

I don't care if I don't have Christmas or Thanksgiving I ain't gone to ask anymore.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
After turning in all the forums and having to pay to fax a few costing over 6.00 they still want more and more.

After all this I decided I will stare or what ever it takes to pay it myself.
I ain't gonna beg anymore the heck with them. I would rather sit in the dark.

I don't care if I don't have Christmas or Thanksgiving I ain't gone to ask anymore.
I don't really get what you are talking about. Why don't you just turn off everything except the refrigerator and hot water and turn that down. Your bill will be no more the $30.00 to $40.00 a month. You are the one in charge. Are you saying you want a charity to subsidize your wasteful lifestyle? Please explain.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I don't really get what you are talking about. Why don't you just turn off everything except the refrigerator and hot water and turn that down. Your bill will be no more the $30.00 to $40.00 a month. You are the one in charge. Are you saying you want a charity to subsidize your wasteful lifestyle? Please explain.

No, she is looking for sympathy to have someone pay her high electric bill even though she is looking at buying very expensive pots and pans (other posts of hers). Mango is giving you good advice and at least its the right time of year to be able to get by without A/C.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
No, she is looking for sympathy to have someone pay her high electric bill even though she is looking at buying very expensive pots and pans (other posts of hers). Mango is giving you good advice and at least its the right time of year to be able to get by without A/C.
Oh....so that explains Mike Peterson's post about the frying pan.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I want to point out I am not a hypocrite. My electric bill came yesterday and it was $55.00. I don't really do without but I am vigilant about the use. I am not poor I could spend what ever I want on electric but I see it as a game. I like seeing how low I can get it and not really live any different. I am an exception in that I don't use air conditioning. I don't like air conditioning. My house has some design features that make it a little easier to do without it. By the way that $55.00 bill was a little high for us. My wife was taking care of an old woman who was sick and she didn't come in the main house without taking a shower. The hot water may have run it up a little. Myself, I don't shower with hot water, just as it comes out of the tap. It is very refreshing, I hate the feeling of hot water on my body. People should try it sometime.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I want to point out I am not a hypocrite. My electric bill came yesterday and it was $55.00. I don't really do without but I am vigilant about the use. I am not poor I could spend what ever I want on electric but I see it as a game. I like seeing how low I can get it and not really live any different. I am an exception in that I don't use air conditioning. I don't like air conditioning. My house has some design features that make it a little easier to do without it. By the way that $55.00 bill was a little high for us. My wife was taking care of an old woman who was sick and she didn't come in the main house without taking a shower. The hot water may have run it up a little. Myself, I don't shower with hot water, just as it comes out of the tap. It is very refreshing, I hate the feeling of hot water on my body. People should try it sometime.
Our bill is usually pretty low as well. I love cold showers, but I often start with "tepid" water. I use cold water to wash clothes. We do use AC, but only when absolutely necessary (house gets to 85 degrees). When we don't use the AC, our bills are only about $60 per month. During summer when we use it 24/7 it is still only about $125.00. We have FPL, and their rates are lower than previous electric companies we have had (TECO and Lakeland Electric)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida