Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times

Advertisements

I called about a few complaints we have had in our subdivision. But my question is, if they are not doing what they are paid to do, why should we pay them $120 PER MONTH?

I understand the situation, and I told the guy from the Property Mngt Co the same. He basically said, "We cant keep up with all the people not mowing their lawns. " He also added with all the foreclosures, they dont have enough money to mow the lawns that need mowed. He said "we mowed like 80 lawns last year in 2008." Yeeaaahhh? You mowed all those lawns one time a peice? Lawns need to be mowed every week to look good, unless its winter time and then it's every few weeks.

Basically, a nice property mngr that said the people like us that bought our house and are making it look nice are punished by those who just dont give a crap. Do you know there are houses with weeds that literally look like small trees? HIGHER than the mailboxes in some instances. Can you believe the Property Management CO had to hire people to mow the lawn at a house on our street, even though people live there? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? He said they had people go over to the house and mow the lawn even though the house is occupied! He said when the landscaping company mowed the lawn b/c the owner wouldnt do it himself, the family was on the back porch smoking ciggarettes as they watched another person mow their lawn. How incredibly ghetto!

We have also had to hire an off-duty cop to roam the streets (the very few that we have) and catch speeders (another BIG issue), and also other mischief.

A couple days ago, we saw a cop in our neighborhood, and yesterday we had 3 cops at one house on my street. There are things going on in here that you wouldnt think you'd have to deal with when you look at our neighborhood. To add to the madness, the cops were staked out in front of our subdivision, blocking the exit to leave the subdivision. I pulled up behind them b/c I was leaving to run errands, I looked behind me and saw that a few other cars were behind me, waiting to exit the subdivision. Could you believe that the people started honking at the cops to get out of their way, even as the cops were getting back in their cars to clear the lane? All they had to do was wait 10 seconds for the cops to get in their cars, and leave, but people started honking at them anyway. A few of them even went out the entrance lane, which is clearly illegal, right in front of the cops? How stupid and impatient can one get?

OK, back to topic... has anyone ever had troubles with the HOA not doing what they were hired to do, and is there anything I can do? I am being really patient b/c I know they (the Property Management Co) are having a hard time keeping up and correcting all these violations. What if I was trying to sell my house right now? Good luck to me is all I can say!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Your HOA laws must not be as strict as ours...if you dont follow your HOA rules, you get a letter and given a date to get the problem straight, and if you dont, they can take your home! Plus, they send you the bill if they have to hire to have whatever done...go to your HOA meetings and voice all of your concerns, and then VOTE if they dont do what you like...its a shame people dont take pride in their homes.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 PM

343 posts, read 1,045,672 times
HOA's are awful. Ours is very cheap, only like 30 bucks a month, but they do absolutely nothing. Yay, we have a pool in our neighborhood that we've never used. We're moving soon, and one of the "musts" in our new place is "NO HOA." No sense in throwing money down the drain.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
HOA's are awful. Ours is very cheap, only like 30 bucks a month, but they do absolutely nothing. Yay, we have a pool in our neighborhood that we've never used. We're moving soon, and one of the "musts" in our new place is "NO HOA." No sense in throwing money down the drain.
We pay $120 and we dont have a pool. How about that? And I have to tell you all this story again in case some of you didnt read it... A couple days ago, we saw a cop in our neighborhood, and yesterday we had 3 cops at one house on my street. There are things going on in here that you wouldnt think you'd have to deal with when you look at our neighborhood. To add to the madness, the cops were staked out in front of our subdivision, blocking the exit to leave the subdivision. I pulled up behind them b/c I was leaving to run errands, I looked behind me and saw that a few other cars were behind me, waiting to exit the subdivision. Could you believe that the people started honking at the cops to get out of their way, even as the cops were getting back in their cars to clear the lane? All they had to do was wait 10 seconds for the cops to get in their cars, and leave, but people started honking at them anyway. A few of them even went out the entrance lane, which is clearly illegal, right in front of the cops? How stupid and impatient can one get?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
HopToIt, the best way to get those lawns mowed is to call 411 or Team Metro and complain to them. TeamMetro will send someone out to the homes ASAP (as they are hungry for money) that have lawn issues, and as long as the grass/weeds/etc are a foot high (which come May will not take long) the homeowner can get fined. Which hopefully will get them to mow their yard. I called my HOA to see what could be done a house on my block as all the neighbors were fed up, and they basically said nothing. A month later TeamMetro showed up at that house (someone on the block got fed up I guess) the lawn is getting mowed and the junky car is gone.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
If you don't think the management company is doing a good job, have you called the HOA board?

Chances are that the owners of the homes with lawns being mowed are being charged back those costs. If they don't pay, the HOA should be liening the homes.

Have you been to an association meeting? have you asked if there is a committee you can join? The best HOA's have many active members who take pride in their community.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM

No not yet, but I certainly will join when I can!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Do you understand that owners elected by other owners are responsible for enforcing your HOA rules?
The management company takes it's orders from the elected board.

If rules aren't being enforced run for office, get elected and do the job.
If your election is over for the year then send a letter to the board with your specific complaints (read your documents and quote them) or go to a meeting and ask questions if they allow homeowner comments. Keep it civil with no personal comments.

I have lots of experience. That's why I live in a non-HOA neighborhood now :-)

Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM

24 posts, read 97,261 times
We had a problem in our HOA Development and the President of the HOA was the culprit. We finally were fed up and complained to the City. They have stricter rules and straightened it out or there would be city fines given out to him. If you are having problems with your HOA, (which I think their in a clique situation) start complaining to your Town or City Hall.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Our subdivision is built out yet (only about 50% I'd say, maybe a little bit more) and so we dont have our own HOA yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida