Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

HOAs have become commonplace in Florida, but they seem flawed in their very design. Now that the market is cracking at the seams, the flaws of HOAs are magnified. If it gets bad enough, I can see neighborhoods agreeing to disband their HOAs entirely and become non-HOA neighborhoods....we may see this in the near future.
Well in fairness doesn't this go back to the housing bubble and people getting put in homes they had no business buying to begin with?

Several subdivisions have disbanded HOA's over years. But imo it only means you stop paying dues...the underlying problems with irresponsible owners don't change. And get worse since with NO RULES AT ALL you get substandard renters, disgusting things like toys and trash piled up outside till trashday, the stupid unbelievable "canvas car ports" (something I never saw up north LOL) and 10 people living in a home built for 4.

Nah....I'll stick with the half baked HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well in fairness doesn't this go back to the housing bubble and people getting put in homes they had no business buying to begin with?
That definitely created more problems and put pressure on the HOAs (with homeowners not paying their dues, distressed properties, etc.).

But isn't this the time when HOAs are supposed to "solve all our problems" and force those distressed-looking properties into shape? Isn't that what the builders promised us? Weren't we all "sold" on the idea that if a neighbor stopped mowing his lawn, the HOA would take care of the problem?

Oh and what what that thing the builder/realtor told us about HOAs "protecting the value of the homes"? Yeah, that didn't exactly work out either .

I'm just saying, I understand the premise of the HOA and in some neighborhoods - especially if you have a lot of amenities that need maintenance, someone needs to be at the helm - but HOAs are far from perfect and can actually be quite problematic. When you buy into an HOA neighborhood, you are tying yourself to your neighbors legally and if some of the neighbors start to fall, they can drag the others down with them.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
We were on summer vacation and no HOA fees were paid for a few months, but upon our return we paid all the past amount and current HOA fees. The management company stated a letter was sent out by their attorney and the attorney fees were included in the amount owed for an addtional $465. The management company applied most of our payment towards the attorney fees. Currently, the management company is applying late charges on the unapplied balance of the HOA fees. Also, it turns out that the lawyer for the mangement company is the wife of the owner of management company. Is this a conflict of interest? Can the mangement company apply the payments to the the attorney fees first?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That definitely created more problems and put pressure on the HOAs (with homeowners not paying their dues, distressed properties, etc.).

But isn't this the time when HOAs are supposed to "solve all our problems" and force those distressed-looking properties into shape? Isn't that what the builders promised us? Weren't we all "sold" on the idea that if a neighbor stopped mowing his lawn, the HOA would take care of the problem?

Oh and what what that thing the builder/realtor told us about HOAs "protecting the value of the homes"? Yeah, that didn't exactly work out either .

I'm just saying, I understand the premise of the HOA and in some neighborhoods - especially if you have a lot of amenities that need maintenance, someone needs to be at the helm - but HOAs are far from perfect and can actually be quite problematic. When you buy into an HOA neighborhood, you are tying yourself to your neighbors legally and if some of the neighbors start to fall, they can drag the others down with them.
Yes that sounds like a great deal.
I've got an idea... Lets put sensible local laws in place that police can enforce. Thats what our representatives are for. Our tax money goes to cops who should be earning their paycheck. They can stop at krispy kreme on their way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida