Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 14,633 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Florida within the next few months. We are looking at Lehigh Acres, Daytona Beach, Cap Coral, and Fort Myers areas. Also some areas around West Palm beach. I'd like some feed back on these areas in general. We are looking for somewhere safe for our young children and not to expensive. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,806 times
Have you done a search on the Fort Myers forum? Please search for Lehigh Acres and do some reading. I doubt seriously you'll be moving there with your children.

And everyone will ask this question: Do you have jobs?

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,780,777 times
Lehigh Acres.......? Agree with the above post. Lehigh is a complete sewer, and MANY people will tell you that, if they tell you otherwise, they have some type of agenda, it is a crime ridden wasteland. Please go to the Fort Myers sub forum, look up Lehigh, you will get a clear picture.

Daytona has its share of problems(crime), be careful with Fort Myers, what looks cheap online is most likely in a real crappy area. I live in Estero, 20 minutes from Fort Myers, the south part of FM is better than the north. A good part of Cape Coral is actually pretty good. If you look anywhere in Southwest FL, Cape will be better if you are looking for affordability.

Hope you are going to have work lined up.....

Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,546,616 times
If you want safe take Lehigh off your list.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,318,793 times
Many other nice family beach towns to pick from other then on your list.

Take Daytona off your list for sure. I would not recommend Daytona to anyone.

Maybe some of outskirt towns but not in Daytona.

Agree with the others on Lehigh Acres. I know someone who lives there and they are working hard on moving to the Punta Gorda area.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM

64 posts, read 205,257 times
Leehigh Acres is definitly not a safe location,I would say try Daytona Beach or West palm beach,there is really no jobs in Fort Myers,good luck.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM

75 posts, read 249,023 times
Daytona area is nice. People who say it isn't don't live there. Great beaches. i just bought a house in Port Orange just a few miles from Daytona. Very family oriented and has one of the best high schools in the country. I lived my whole life in Chicago and I was tired of the crime, the cold, and the high taxes there. Visit the area and you will see for yourself.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,220,471 times
Since you have young children...and are not sure where you want to go...I would be shopping schools in the areas that you are considering...buy a book on moving/relocating/buying...and you will see the first three things they mention on almost anyone of the books is LOCATION - LOCATION - LOCATION - and of course one of those "LOCTIONS" is schools...

Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM

509 posts, read 1,681,467 times
Since you have young children you may want to consider what evacuation during a hurricane would mean for your family. The closer you are to the coast, the more likely you are to have to move our when a storm hits. Deland is a very nice, family friendly university town, near enough to Daytona for quick trips to the beach, but inland enough. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM

817 posts, read 2,252,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway123 View Post
We are looking to relocate to Florida within the next few months. We are looking at Lehigh Acres, Daytona Beach, Cap Coral, and Fort Myers areas. Also some areas around West Palm beach. I'd like some feed back on these areas in general. We are looking for somewhere safe for our young children and not to expensive. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Based on the limited question set, here are my brief opinions...

1-For safeness, among those areas the safest for kids would be Cape Coral.

2-For not too expensive, well, that's a matter of relative perspective. The cheapest place in your list would be Daytona.

The best combo of those two might be Cape Coral, but only because housing prices are so delfated there right now.

Personally, among those areas, I'd look at Cape Coral. I would not look at Daytona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida