Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:52 PM

363 posts, read 442,699 times

Advertisements

Ultimately, unless you golf on the 9 holers 6 days a week, the HOA fees are hard to justify. It is nice to have entertainment going on all the time, but you can get that from many places. It is just not pet friendly and you are probably going to kill a golf car driver at some point trying to drive on those roads. It is very far from the airports and the stuff your family actually wants to go do when they visit Florida to truly make everything you have to sacrifice worth it up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 06:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Most Republicans in Florida (outside the Panhandle and some of the very rural counties that have politics more like Alabama) are fiscally conservative and socially liberal or at the very least uninterested. They are pretty moderate on social issues and don't care about gay people or alternative lifestyles.

They do care a lot about money. The economy. Not paying a lot in taxes. Not paying taxes to the government for entitlement programs for those they deem as undesirable like illegal immigrants and people that refuse to work. They are fine cashing in their government social security and medicare. They just don't want the undesirables to get the benefits without working for it and bankrupting the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I live in a loony left place up north and it's totally live and let live. Other than the occasional silly comment like "I was having a great day until you pulled out that plastic bag", people are helpful and kind and tolerant.

There is a difference in philosophy - in general - that the looney left tries to practice tolerance while the rabid right celebrates lack of it.

Let's not pretend there is no difference between the two. In my looney left NE house we have Jehovah Witnesses on our block and a guy who almost entered the priesthood and a builder and the sheriff and the guy who owned the local harley dealership. Not a single beef or hassle on the block...because the entire "Yankee mentality" (which you might call looney left) is based on live and let live.

I live in Trumpland now...on the SW Coast, but it's not like the villages at all. Not in the least. Although majority Republican you can wear dreadlocks or be openly gay and/or fail to conform in ANY way and not be shunned or even feel left out.

That's a big diff. from the dude here who says he will rent to dogs but not liberals.....see the point?

Old 12-28-2019, 07:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Most Republicans in Florida (outside the Panhandle and some of the very rural counties that have politics more like Alabama) are fiscally conservative and socially liberal or at the very least uninterested. They are pretty moderate on social issues and don't care about gay people or alternative lifestyles.

They do care a lot about money. The economy. Not paying a lot in taxes. Not paying taxes to the government for entitlement programs for those they deem as undesirable like illegal immigrants and people that refuse to work. They are fine cashing in their government social security and medicare. They just don't want the undesirables to get the benefits without working for it and bankrupting the system.
Villages has undesirables like that?

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that - maybe it's stuck in your mind.

But, as you well know, "conservatives" completely control Florida government and have for a while. Florida also has one of the lowest minimum wages which hurts working people...legal ones (United Way says 47% of Floridians aren't making it and I can confirm because I do a lot of volunteer work for those people)...

And the "conservative" Florida government refuses to pass E-Verify because, in fact, they claim that they need the large amount of immigrants (legal and illegal) to do the Ag and other jobs.

So there must be a disconnect between what Florida conservatives think in the background and what happens under their control. As far as taxes, property taxes may be a bit lower than some other places but the high homeowners insurance (in many areas) brings it up to par. AND, my sister who is a teacher here is getting paid wages she cannot live on and teaching in trailers in the school parking lot.

That's not the type of "fiscal conservatism" that I was taught. I always figured that you measure twice and cut once....or that a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Florida seems to often cause the diseases (traffic, red tide, overflowing sewer treatment plants, etc.) and not even put the pound out to cure them.

Maybe it's me but all the people I deliver meals and services to that live in 12x14 sheds or old tin trailers don't make me feel that great about "the economy" you speak of. I'm doing great - always have. But that doesn't mean I hide my head in the sand (or in the Villages or other place) and pretend that I don't see what is happening around us.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:33 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I live in a loony left place up north and it's totally live and let live. Other than the occasional silly comment like "I was having a great day until you pulled out that plastic bag", people are helpful and kind and tolerant.

There is a difference in philosophy - in general - that the looney left tries to practice tolerance while the rabid right celebrates lack of it.

Let's not pretend there is no difference between the two. In my looney left NE house we have Jehovah Witnesses on our block and a guy who almost entered the priesthood and a builder and the sheriff and the guy who owned the local harley dealership. Not a single beef or hassle on the block...because the entire "Yankee mentality" (which you might call looney left) is based on live and let live.

I live in Trumpland now...on the SW Coast, but it's not like the villages at all. Not in the least. Although majority Republican you can wear dreadlocks or be openly gay and/or fail to conform in ANY way and not be shunned or even feel left out.

That's a big diff. from the dude here who says he will rent to dogs but not liberals.....see the point?
You are generalizing based on one "dude"? If I were so inclined I too could generalize based on the number of people who during the last election stated they couldn't be friends with Republicans. Most people on the left, including those in The Villages, don't care what you are so long as you don't either try and convert them, tread on their rights, or speak badly about them because they voted for Trump and will do so again. The only ones who shun people (and I have seen it on both sides) are those who are in the far extremes. No one cares, really. I know Republicans who own Harley Dealerships, have long pony tails (men), own bakeries and live and let live. It isn't a just the left. Oh and I grew up in the North East and I don't know this "yankee mentality" aka tolerance you speak of. There is no tolerance for a person who voted for Trump. I know of no instance where someone who voted for Hillary was thrown out of a restaurant or publically shamed. If you do, please give an instance and no not talking heads on news networks or dude above but actual instances of real every day people.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:24 PM

17 posts, read 17,138 times
Is there a master list of "recommended" retirement\over 55 communities in FL? I know that is a loaded question because just in this thread people both love and hate the Villages.

I'm very familiar with Sun City as I've had relatives live there for the past 40+ years, so that was my default place to go. I entertained The Villages, but the combination of this thread and my own research has ruled it out. I think both the healthcare issue and the very high house/fee prices have been what sealed that deal.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:42 PM

205 posts, read 241,215 times
Brazil is the ultimate Retirement Destination (for men) .... The Brazilian Villages .... chock full of pretty, slim and smiling young ladies on the beach serving you a cocktail or beer.

Only requirement is learning Portuguese and $

Old 04-21-2020, 02:35 PM

127 posts, read 313,741 times
Over55places dot com.... Then you can filter by state and location

Old 04-21-2020, 02:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
It was the wimmen.
I had to beat em off with a stick.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager967 View Post
Why we are leaving the Villages....
1) Too crowded - especially Jan-Mar when you can't hardly move around here. The resturants are packed to the gills starting at 4:00 and packed until about 9:00 which is when they roll up the streets here -see #2. Tee times and activities are packed and many times you can't get in the activities at the centers, they are FULL. If you are a half-hour early - you're LATE. Lots of standing around.
Never buy a house at the Villages until you have experienced snow bird season. If you can stand it, this is the place for you.
2) This place closes at 9:00 except for a few bars. If you are still eating at nine, since you couldn't get in earlier, your server will stand behind you for every bite. Once the town square close the streets are empty. We call 9:00 Villages Midnight.
3) The entertainment and the events are all exactly the same. Every holiday is like every other holiday. Same parade participants, same entertainment, cloggers, cheerleaders, baton twirlers. When you 've seen it, you've seen it. They don't even bother to make a change. The songs that are played by every band are played by EVERY band. If I hear Mustang Sally one more time I'll puke. Line dancing is a sport here. The entertainment at Savannah Center is all tribute or lookalike bands.
4) I'm tired of waking up to ambulances. Senior community, do the math.
5) Politics are tough here. You had better be a tea party Republican or you are not welcome. All the tea party favorite are treated like royalty here, Dems barely get a small room anywhere. Dissenters were actually kicked out of the public square for having signs that stated their opinion. I can't stand the public pools because it's a bombardment of political discussions with high tempers and only conservative views, like the newspaper. If you read the letters to the editor the vitupritve rhetoric is frightening, encouraging gov't overthrow. My goodness people, turn off Fox News and get out in the sun. See #6
6) Fox News is everywhere, you can't escape it unless you stay home.
7) We spent $48,000 in improvements on our brand new home, lost $25,000 when we sell because I want out.
8) The lots are so small, youarethisclose to your neighbors. We bought a $290,000 designer home only to have $160,000 cottages within 20 feet behind us. Our neighbors are great, but home many homes do you need to cram in a small space?
9) I think it's ridiculous that "The Developer" is the man who is never mentioned by name, or in hushed tones like he's some deity that you have to bow your head if you say GARY MORSE. Seriously people. I know this place pratically prints in own money, but he's not God for heavens sake. BTW - don't ever try and find him, he lives like Elvis did.

The Villages is not for everybody. Yes you can golf, in the summer when it's 90 degrees, there are activities if you get there early enough, you can drive your golf cart to the store if some elderly person or landscaper doesn't run you down, and they have activities at the squares, if you are a little senile maybe you won't remember that you've seen in 8 tmes a year for the last 3 years.

We are moving to a mixed community near a big city Tampa for more things to do, a little culture and a little room to breath. Thanks for letting me vent.
Did you leave The Villages?

Having lived there for a few months, I agree with everything you said. I’ve already seen several bad incidents with golf cart drivers who weren’t paying attention. As an avid cyclist, I am saddened to say that I stay OFF the multi modal paths. Far more dangerous than a busy road.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:22 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It has been amusing to go back and read this ancient thread. The Villages are still apparently going strong, but now you get to pay $189. a month in HOA fees, and those 1200 sq ft, $175k houses with Formica and carpet are $350k.

We toyed with the idea of moving there for the social opportunities, but can’t justify leaving a brick house with a 2.99% mortgage for a cheap looking overpriced one. I have nothing against downsizing, but not if it’s a poor value. I don’t care how much fun those people are. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida