Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

181 posts, read 453,650 times

Advertisements

I have a great realtor in the Orlando area as well as Punta Gorda. But that's about the extent of my knowledge of Florida.

With a limited budget of $120k to spend, this is what I would like: 2-3 bedroom 2 bathroom condo or townhome with sea view and 1 garage or under cover parking. A nice area and neigbourhood that has low crime. Near shopping.

Any suggestions of towns or current condos / townhomes for sale other than Orlando or Punta Gorda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
I have a great realtor in the Orlando area as well as Punta Gorda. But that's about the extent of my knowledge of Florida.

With a limited budget of $120k to spend, this is what I would like: 2-3 bedroom 2 bathroom condo or townhome with sea view and 1 garage or under cover parking. A nice area and neigbourhood that has low crime. Near shopping.

Any suggestions of towns or current condos / townhomes for sale other than Orlando or Punta Gorda?
This may be completely off what you are looking at but Mexico beach has some great deals now. I have a Realtor who is always sending me stuff, I am on her mailing list. Although I am not really interested in that sort of thing, condo living that is, it is shocking what you can get now for reasonable money.

Mexico Beach, Florida Business Listings

Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Dunedin

Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post

Clearwater Beach.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Honestly, Somewhere on the coast or along the I-4 corridor.. Most likely somewhere in Pinellas, Eastern Hillsborough or Western Polk counties..

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M65522-53256

Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 PM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Pasedena.....kind of a suburb of St. Petersburg.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Vegas Boy, since this is an investment, you really should elaborate. Is this something you are going to rent out or resell fairly quickly? Better questions will get you a better investment. I know when you bought in Punta Gorda I don't think you realized how saturated the rental market was. Just trying to help!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
You might find it tough to find the right waterfront condo in Dunedin for $120K. I've been looking at properties there for several months. We weren't really looking in that range, but I did look at waterfront condos, and you probably would have to go higher.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

181 posts, read 453,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Vegas Boy, since this is an investment, you really should elaborate. Is this something you are going to rent out or resell fairly quickly? Better questions will get you a better investment. I know when you bought in Punta Gorda I don't think you realized how saturated the rental market was. Just trying to help!
Dear hiknapster, great to touch base with you again. I am a bit frustrated in the sense that I have to be dependent on internet research from Cape Town. I only know SWFL and Orlando, and with my limited knowledge was thinking that Sarasota would be the best place to buy my second property. That may still be the case, but I don't know the areas in Sarasota and it seems there is nothing great there in my price range.

I then thought that there may perhaps be good communities or towns other than what I have researched or visited so far, and would be disappointed if I buy in Orlando or SWFL, to later find better deals in (perhaps) nicer parts of Forida, hence the general post on this forum.

Example: see some of the responses I received here, for which I am grateful, but I don't know the areas, and will now have to research each one individually. I wish I knew someone who knows Florida well, and could suggest two or three towns to buy, with actual great deals in my price range now on the market.

The condo in PG will remain my base from which I operate and stay when I visit Florida. In a post some years ago, I stated that the PG property will hopefully be the first of many to come, and live off the rental income for the periods I'm there, or support my kids financially should they wish to study in the US (I have 3 kids). This dream is hopefully coming to fruition with the second one on its way And I bet there will be more to come.

To be more clear on what I need: I am not looking for properties to resell. I am looking to establish a steady income flow so I can stay in the US for longer periods in years to come.

I know most will disagree with me, but allow me my fools paradise as I believe that the real estate market will turn and grow within the next few years. All I want, is real estate in a very good neighbourhood and a reasonable market related rental income; a place that I would be willing to live in should I decide to do so in years to come. Of course, my wife would love a place with a sea view but I'm not sure if that will be possible for my budget.

My oldest son is moving to the US next year to study at University. I'm not sure what one yet. He has been invited to a conference in NYC this June, based on his academic achievements. (Forgive the bit of bragging here).

So in the long run, I'm really selling my properties here in South Africa and moving my investments to the US.

I will be in Florida for a few days from June 20. If you have anything that you think is a great deal, I would appreciate if you could let me know. If you have something that is a steal, I get get on a plane within a few days. You still have my email address? You have helped me and so many others on this forum, thank you so much. Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
That is so very difficult. One of the best places to buy a property where you get the best bang for the buck is in Cape Coral. However, the rental market is saturated. It might be a bit better than PG, but not by much. Internet search in Cape Coral for the heck of it, anyway. Bear in mind that most of your rental income will be in "season" which will run from January through April, sometimes November through April.

And congratulations regarding your child!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida