Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 PM

66 posts, read 137,089 times

Advertisements

If you're not married to the father, your child is illegitimate. If you're living together as a family, why don't you get married and give your son a name...oh, can't do that, you'd lose welfare and Medicaid you're on. Is the father going to pack up and come to Florida with you? Does he have a skill? If you have such a good and close relationship, why is he so okay with you packing up his child and moving away?

I don't have kids. I never wanted any. I don't think kids are wonderful. They tie you down and suck your finances dry. You'll never get ahead now that you have a child to think about. And you better start thinking about the future because in a few years, your child will be in school and you can't just up and move on a whim.

Get your education in Indiana. Stay on the dole there. Then line up a good-paying job in Florida, if by the time you graduate there are any, and move.

You keep talking about a settlement. Do you have any idea how fast $45K can disappear? It sounds like a lot of money, but it'll go through your fingers like water.

Child, I'm old. I've been there and seen it all. You think you know it all, but someday you'll look back and say, "That old woman was right and I wish I had listened."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
What a pack of hateful people. Seriously, it's embarrassing. The OP asked for relocation advice, not judgement from strangers. Is there a moderator here?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM

31 posts, read 171,300 times
And just to add on I do not entend to up and move right away. I said I would probably be ready in a year or two after i recieve my settlement and I will also be saving up. I am responsible; I was an only child which I think attributes to the reason why I was and still am so mature so young. I am intellegent and have a bright future ahead of me even though I am a young mother. I intend on doing as much research as I can before moving and also having a job set up. My grandmother is deciding whether she wants to come with me or not but I am pretty sure she will because she used to live there and is willing to help me in anyway. Plus she is retired so its not like I am going to be asking her to leave work or anything.
All I was really asking was advice on which area sounds better for me and which areas are affordable. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydai View Post
That was actually kind of amusing and hurtful at the same time. It is funny to see how quickly people jump to stereotypes and you made up your own narrative of my life. That was very ignorant of you and saying things like pittance and he cant wait till I leave are hurtful and completely untrue. Actually the father is very involved and we live together as a family. Why would you assume he only helps his family "out of the goodness of his heart, if anything". Is that how the father of your children behaves? Actually he doesnt mind me moving because we have a very good and close relationship. Would you have felt better if I was not going to be a single parent moving? It doesnt really matter. All I know is that was hurtful even though it is not my life at all.
Well said and far more on point than those doling out advice here, which I would ignore as their Jerry Springer viewing has obviously clouded judgement.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM

Sheltie166,I now understand your posts a lot better. I understand you are a bitter old lady who thinks she knows it all. If you look back and read the posts that is something that I never claimed; to know it all. From the way that you talk to people I am going to assume, like you did, that you are probably rich and dont have much to worry about and you look down upon the ones less fortunate than you. Good for you that you dont have any children and dislike them but I if you ask me you truly missed out. That being said I do not think you have any right to speak to me about marriage or children seeing as you have neither.
Again the father of my child doesnt mind because we have such a good and open relationship. He wants me to excell and be happy because he knew I wanted to leave out of state before I got pregnant. And you were right he cant wait for me to leave, so he can come visit in FL! And we'll be laughin saying "Im so glad I followed my heart and didnt listen to all the negative comments I got" Im sure you wont be the last to say I cant get ahead because of a child and you wont be the last person to prove wrong.

**Actually I apologize for calling you a bitter old lady but you had it coming. I asked for location advice and instead you tell me Ill never get ahead. Well thanks for your opinion but if you dont have any positive feedback on some nice locations to move then you can save it. Thanks

Last edited by daydai; 03-10-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well said and far more on point than those doling out advice here, which I would ignore as their Jerry Springer viewing has obviously clouded judgement.
Thank you I appreciate it. I thought I was the only one that realized what was being said was just wrong.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Neither rich nor bitter, although I don't have a house payment or car payment because I didn't have to spend all my income on kids. Nor did I miss out on dirty diapers, crying babies, and backtalking teenagers. I have horses and cats and other pets and a wonderful man I've been married to for 28 years. Life is good.

I hope you do prove me wrong. Good luck in your endeavors.

And I've never watched Jerry Springer in my life.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie166 View Post
Neither rich nor bitter, although I don't have a house payment or car payment because I didn't have to spend all my income on kids. Nor did I miss out on dirty diapers, crying babies, and backtalking teenagers. I have horses and cats and other pets and a wonderful man I've been married to for 28 years. Life is good.

I hope you do prove me wrong. Good luck in your endeavors.

And I've never watched Jerry Springer in my life.

Actually I apologize for calling you a bitter old lady but you had it coming. I asked for location advice and instead you tell me Ill never get ahead. Well thanks for your opinion but you gave absolutely no positive feedback on some nice locations to move which is what i asked for. Thanks alot =)

Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM

OK, location advice.

Stay away from Dunnellon, FL, outskirts of Ocala, a lot of drugs and alcohol. Ditto Silver Springs Shores.

Ocala has a 14% or so unemployment rate. Main jobs are in the medical field.

Great place to live, lots to do. Silver Springs has glass bottom boats and a petting zoo and rides for the kids. Year pass is about $45 each and during the spring and early summer, until it gets too hot, there are concerts every Saturday. This Saturday is the Charlie Daniels Band and the week after that is Tanya Tucker. They have fireworks on the 4th of July and a big Christmas do with a zillion lights. Car shows, too.

We have parks here with picnic tables and if you end up getting a horse you can trailer in and ride. Most parks have hiking trails and picnic tables.

School situation...eh...iffy. There's not enough money for education and too much devoted to sports. Great if your child is in the 1% that benefits from football, not so great if he's in the 99% that doesn't. Good football, but kids are sharing books and the teachers are underpaid. I'd recommend private school.

Rent here for a 2 bedroom house ranges from $500 - $1500 depending on how much amenities you want. One with a pool will run in the $900 range. We leased a 3 BR house on 6 acres, no pool but a place to keep my horses, for $1000 a month, before we bought our current home.

You can buy a fairly nice home from $60K on up. I know of a 2 bedroom 2 bath on a half acre for $71K, granite in the kitchen, just been redone all the way through. Cute house.

If you can, stay away from Progress Energy (soon to be merged with Duke Power). Their electric rates are outrageous. Cable is through Brighthouse, I have my phone/cable/internet with them at $109 a month, unlimited long distance and a few movie channels. Gas here is running about $3.55 a gallon for regular.

You're about an hour from a fairly nice beach in Crystal River. Somebody burned the bathrooms there, but they have port-a-potties now. There's also a nice fishing pier there.

Ocala has 2 major hospitals. One of them is tops in Florida for heart care. We also have, let's see, 4 Walmarts, Target, 2 K-Marts, 2 Big Lots, the usual component of Dollar Trees/Family Dollar/Dollar General, and several nice thrift stores with good selections of kids' clothing (I'm told). Ocala is the county seat for Marion County, which size-wise is equivalent to the state of Rhode Island.

Ocala is zone 8B-9A for gardening. It gets cold here, sometimes upper teens/low 20s, so don't give away your down parka. It will feel good. Also bring your electric heater as when it gets cold, you can't buy one here for love nor money. However, it warms up about the middle of February and I'm usually in the pool by the first of April until around the middle of October. Last frost is around mid March.

Speaking of horses, Ocala is the horse capital of the south. Lots of horse farms. There are shows almost every weekend, most of which are free to attend. We're also home to the Don Garlits Racing Museum.

We moved to Ocala from Live Oak, which is in north Florida. Great small town. Everybody knows everybody. Polite kids, open doors for you and say yes, sir and no, ma'am. Good library, schools okay. Nearest bookstore is in Valdosta, GA, or Gainesville, FL. Nearest bigger town is Lake City, but no bookstore there unless one has popped up since 2008. Nearest beach is Steinhatchie, FL, and it's a good 1-1/2 hour drive, but scenic. Gets colder in Live Oak and stays colder longer. That's why we're further south now. Old bones can't take the cold. Not as much to do in Live Oak, either. They do have a big 4th of July parade.

That help any?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Almost forgot...JOHN TRAVOLTA lives in Ocala...well, in Anthony, just outside Ocala, and he has been seen in the mall shopping for his wife and 2 kids. Kirstie Allie has also been seen here, she was present for the birth of John's latest child, Benjamin.

There is a huge flea market here, Market of Marion, with about 1000 booths. Two smaller flea markets, all 3 open every weekend year around.

Orlando (Disney) is about 80 miles. Daytona is about 77 miles. Sebring is about 130 miles, home of Sebring International Raceway where on off weekends you can actually take your own vehicle and drive on the track (not free, though).

Hope this helps in your quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida