Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 31,649 times

Advertisements

My father purchased some property in Bunnell(a mobile on acorn ave) this year and offered to let myself and my family move there. We currently reside in NE. From the google earth shots it apears to be near a bunch of farm fields and 10 miles to what appears to be a small business district or central Bunnell.
I frequent other forums and asked the members of a Florida region what they thought of Bunnell. Their response was completely negative and told me to avoid it at all costs. I have 3 young children so their responses got me concerned.
I am looking for honest opinions of Bunnell. The good, the bad and the ugly.
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 AM

345 posts, read 976,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX2 View Post
My father purchased some property in Bunnell(a mobile on acorn ave) this year and offered to let myself and my family move there. We currently reside in NE. From the google earth shots it apears to be near a bunch of farm fields and 10 miles to what appears to be a small business district or central Bunnell.
I frequent other forums and asked the members of a Florida region what they thought of Bunnell. Their response was completely negative and told me to avoid it at all costs. I have 3 young children so their responses got me concerned.
I am looking for honest opinions of Bunnell. The good, the bad and the ugly.
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Jake
I don't live there, but knowing the area pretty well it really depends on what you want.

If you are looking for country living with wide open spaces, then there's nothing wrong with Bunnell. It's your typical small country town. The outlying areas are pretty nice in terms of scenery. Route 11 is an absolutely breathtaking drive through the Florida pinewoods.

It isn't quaint and gentrified as say DeLand or Mount Dora are. The downtown area doesn't consist of much life, has a lot of vacant store fronts, and really isn't much to speak of.

Not a whole lot in terms of ameneties in Bunnell. Whatever major business is generally several miles away in Palm Coast. Deland, St. Augustine and the Daytona area are
about a half hour drive away.

If you are looking for a quiet country retreat, Bunnell might be okay. If you are looking for more business and culture, you might want to look somewhere else.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 31,576 times
Definitely visit there before moving.

For 6 years, I've lived a half an hour away from Bunnell and only been there once, while I go to the other small towns in our area regularly.

My impression is it is rednecky, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Can anyone confirm the type of people down there? Redneck-ville wouldn't be desired. Anymore comments would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
That area is called "Daytona North" by realtors and "Mondex" by the locals. All the streets are named after trees. It's quite aways outside of Bunnell, which is an ok little town, it's the county seat of Flagler, where Palm Coast is located.

Mondex is rural. I don't know if you consider redneck a southern term, but the people out there are pretty much all from up north. Maybe white trash is more accurate. Most of the homes are trailers on 1.25 acres. A couple of the main roads are paved, not much else. It's a fairly large area, but surrounded by potato & cabbage fields. Lot of driving to get into "town." Affordable living if it's what you want. There are a few modular & CB homes, but mostly double-wides. Dirt roads, skeeters, cars on blocks...

Although, you might have a Bunnell address, MONDEX IS NOT BUNNELL. Sounds like it might not be your cup of tea.....

Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 PM

200 posts, read 683,934 times
Very laid back folks - I live nearby in the same county. Many of the folks are extremely friendly (I work in the school system and have some as students)- still "country feeling" but it also comes across as the old part of Florida... nearby is Palm Coast and they are growing fast and faster each day. New town center going in (10-15 minutes from Bunnell) with lots of new shopping, SuperTarget, Bed/Bath and Beyond, PetSmart, etc....Lowes and HDepot, etc. Not much for kids to do, like when I was a kid up north but the city realizes that more families are moving in and hope to add more "events" for kids. I would say definitely visit Bunnell. It is remote, and as I said like OLD FLORIDA. Definitely come and check it out...

Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 AM

144 posts, read 419,651 times
I've not heard or read good things about Bunnell either. I think there is a public housing apartment building there which keeps a lot of trouble and had a recent shooting/murder incident a couple months back.

To those of you who didn't read the entire first post. DJX is being left a trailer so he pretty got the part about it being cawntry-like.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Bunnell. There's nothing there. If you move your three children there you will most likely regret it. Nothing there, not a place I'd want to live or for children to grow up.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Pardon me, but do any of you live in Bunnell? I do.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Sounds like it's possibly a good place to retire. Seems too country for me and for my kids; I've always lived in/near cities so it'd probably be something I would hate seeing how it's surrounded by farmland.
No offense to any bonnell residents of course.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida