Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,024 times

Advertisements

Disgusted.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM

329 posts, read 775,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Exactly! This is one of the most racist things I've seen on the forum and should have been pulled. Where's a moderator when you need one?
maybe the moderator dont find this type of post rude

Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 PM

199 posts, read 366,035 times
-"Theres 2 things in live I cant stand......racism.....and Puerto Ricans!"-

"...What is troubling about these statistics is that among the Latino groups, Puerto Ricans are the only ones to arrive in the United States already as U.S. citizens..."

"I don't know if you've been around any Puerto-Ricans living in Tampa and all but PR's have a very short fuse. It's in their blood or something. They'll say a lot of harsh things in the heat of the moment. Try not to take it offensively. Most times they don't mean it. I've gotten used to it being around so many but I don't entertain it."

With all the social pigeonholing that Puerto Ricans have been exposed to since the U.S. invaded the island in 1898, can you truly blame those of us who have a short temper? Imagine yourself growing up as a second-class citizen for all intents and purposes except to serve in wartime, with no voice or vote in Washington and being stereotyped as lazy and indolent while all your possible opportunities for a better education and career growth are deferred to U.S. mainland interests on the island and politicians who cater to them. Imagine how you would feel if any drunk could run over a family member of yours on the street and be pardoned by the governor because he is a U.S. serviceman. Imagine going to a sales convention in Atlanta to get to know the firm you work for better and being asked "Where do you hide your switchblade?" in front of a regional manager, like I was, and being told by your boss to bite your tongue, because it was a losing battle. Imagine hearing that some politician from the sticks of Oklahoma puts forth a motion in the Capitol to revoke your citizenship because he doesn't think that you are 'American' enough, even though someone from every generation in your family has served in wartime since 1917. Imagine being a child and hearing folks who loiter on your front stoop call your dad a s*p*i*c whenever he goes out to work his honest factory job. Tell me that would not put you in a bad mood, tell me that you are Irish-American, or Italo-American, or a Southerner or whatever, and that you would put on a rosy smile and say 'yessuh' if someone told you that you could exist, but that you had better not be yourself, had better not celebrate St. Patty's day too loudly, or say 'fugetaboutit' or wear a Dixie flag on your hat. Tell me that you would dare say anything to someone with a 'Republic of Texas bumper sticker on their truck. Tell me that you have warm, red blood in your veins and that you would cheerfully put up with all that, tail tucked between your legs, if they did it to you.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
I'm scared! Let's all run and hide!!

Really, what kind of a question is this?

How are Puerto Ricans different from anyone else?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,409,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
-"Theres 2 things in live I cant stand......racism.....and Puerto Ricans!"-

"...What is troubling about these statistics is that among the Latino groups, Puerto Ricans are the only ones to arrive in the United States already as U.S. citizens..."

"I don't know if you've been around any Puerto-Ricans living in Tampa and all but PR's have a very short fuse. It's in their blood or something. They'll say a lot of harsh things in the heat of the moment. Try not to take it offensively. Most times they don't mean it. I've gotten used to it being around so many but I don't entertain it."

With all the social pigeonholing that Puerto Ricans have been exposed to since the U.S. invaded the island in 1898, can you truly blame those of us who have a short temper? Imagine yourself growing up as a second-class citizen for all intents and purposes except to serve in wartime, with no voice or vote in Washington and being stereotyped as lazy and indolent while all your possible opportunities for a better education and career growth are deferred to U.S. mainland interests on the island and politicians who cater to them. Imagine how you would feel if any drunk could run over a family member of yours on the street and be pardoned by the governor because he is a U.S. serviceman. Imagine going to a sales convention in Atlanta to get to know the firm you work for better and being asked "Where do you hide your switchblade?" in front of a regional manager, like I was, and being told by your boss to bite your tongue, because it was a losing battle. Imagine hearing that some politician from the sticks of Oklahoma puts forth a motion in the Capitol to revoke your citizenship because he doesn't think that you are 'American' enough, even though someone from every generation in your family has served in wartime since 1917. Imagine being a child and hearing folks who loiter on your front stoop call your dad a s*p*i*c whenever he goes out to work his honest factory job. Tell me that would not put you in a bad mood, tell me that you are Irish-American, or Italo-American, or a Southerner or whatever, and that you would put on a rosy smile and say 'yessuh' if someone told you that you could exist, but that you had better not be yourself, had better not celebrate St. Patty's day too loudly, or say 'fugetaboutit' or wear a Dixie flag on your hat. Tell me that you would dare say anything to someone with a 'Republic of Texas bumper sticker on their truck. Tell me that you have warm, red blood in your veins and that you would cheerfully put up with all that, tail tucked between your legs, if they did it to you.

Quite possibly the BEST POST EVER!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,307,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
Long quote
You know, the island can still vote for statehood or independence. It doesn't have to remain an ambiguous American territory for all eternity.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You know, the island can still vote for statehood or independence. It doesn't have to remain an ambiguous American territory for all eternity.
Look what independence from Great Britain got Jamaica. High levels of poverty and illiteracy. Puerto Rico will never break away from the cash cow that the US is to them.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM

73 posts, read 113,858 times
I L-O-V-E it. I love Puerto Ricans and I hope they can rise up and help repair some of the damage done by other majorities in Florida who shall remain nameless, but have really F'ed things up.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,307,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Look what independence from Great Britain got Jamaica. High levels of poverty and illiteracy. Puerto Rico will never break away from the cash cow that the US is to them.
Oh, I know. You can say the same about virtually all of Africa (British, French, Belgians, Portuguese).

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
We lived in So. FL for 12 years and noticed that Hispanics, no matter how long they have lived in the U.S. (and FL) or how excellent their English is, will revert to speaking Spanish whenever there is a couple or more of them together. This is especially annoying in a business setting or in a restaurant where they can become quite loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida