Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 AM

6 posts, read 6,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This probably makes sense to everyone else but I don't get it.
Honestly, I'm not sure if any beaches in Florida are fresh water. When I went to Cancun, I don't remember it being salt water... you definately couldn't taste it and it didn't burn my eyes. It was the Gulf Coast water. So you'd think since Florida shares some of that boarder that I could find that same nice beach water that I enjoyed so much. But honestly, every beach I have been at on that coast of Florida was no where near that gorgeous and fresh. So just trying to get some opinions about the beaches ya'll know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
I hope you know that it gets alot colder than 50 degrees in Florida during the winter. You might want to track our winter temps before moving here. You may be disappointed.
Yes, I know Florida winters get colder than 50 degrees. I have lived in Florida several times as a child. Anywhere I go in the world is going to have some days that are colder than I prefer to be. But the less of that I have to deal with, the better. Florida is definately for me - I've been researching and deciding on this move for about 3 years straight now. It's just a matter of getting more opinions on which area to move to.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anti CPA View Post
Florida has lots of Republicans who hate those kind of programs and will cut funding (and jobs) every chance they get.
It's ok if they cut social service jobs the way you are thinking of it (they are cutting funding everywhere)... first, my degree is actually in finance, so I'll be fine in Florida. Second, social service (to me) also means detective work - getting on the police force and working my way to homicide detective is a dream of mine - I'm sure I can find a county in need of law enforcment no matter where I go.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillnw View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure if any beaches in Florida are fresh water. When I went to Cancun, I don't remember it being salt water... you definately couldn't taste it and it didn't burn my eyes. It was the Gulf Coast water. So you'd think since Florida shares some of that boarder that I could find that same nice beach water that I enjoyed so much. But honestly, every beach I have been at on that coast of Florida was no where near that gorgeous and fresh. So just trying to get some opinions about the beaches ya'll know of.
Yes, Cancun is on the gulf and that is saltwater.

I use to live in Fort Myers which is on the gulf. Sometimes the water is clear and other times it is nasty. There is a lot of fertilizer runoff from Big Ag in the middle of the state. It comes down the Caloosahatchee and dumps into the gulf. There can be a lot of alage bloom and red tide. You are probably not going to be a fan.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
I think she means brackish water vs. clear water...I think...

OP...no beaches in Florida have fresh water, unless they're on a freshwater lake.

The clearest water beach in the state is gonna be in Broward county. Every where else, it's either too rough of surf, or too sandy/murky.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM

40 posts, read 97,771 times
Have you asked the opinions of your family?

Quote:
Hey everyone. First off let me apologize for this new thread; however, there were so many responses to similar questions that were all over the place. It was hard to follow. I am a single mother in my mid 20's. I have lived in Indiana the majority of my life- my mother often moved back and forth between Florida and Indiana with us; however, I do not remember Florida well. I have a lot of family in the Tampa/Orlando area, but they have stayed in the smaller towns and rural areas. I am leaving Indiana because I hate the cold weather. Anything below 50 is pretty much miserable to me. I know Florida weather can get extremely hot, but so can Indiana weather and I'd rather sweat than freeze. I have visited a few times, but didn't really look into it as though I was moving. Things that are important to me are good schools, nice area to raise kids, lots to do for families, near by beaches (preferrably with less salt water and more clear water like I enjoyed in Cancun if possible), diversity, and of course like everyone else wants- jobs and rental housing. I am not in a position to buy and I am actually fresh out of college looking for social service/work careers. I have considered areas such as Tampa and Orlando because of family. I've been to Naples and wasn't impressed. But Miami sounds fun. I am young so I'd like to have a night life sometimes, yet be able to raise my daughters in a great environment. Any suggestions on which areas to go to or any places that I can find advice would be appreciated. Essp on schools!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM

Yes, but the majority of them have lived in the same area of Florida for ever. And I want opinions from everywhere.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. First off let me apologize for this new thread; however, there were so many responses to similar questions that were all over the place. It was hard to follow. I am a single mother in my mid 20's. I have lived in Indiana the majority of my life- my mother often moved back and forth between Florida and Indiana with us; however, I do not remember Florida well. I have a lot of family in the Tampa/Orlando area, but they have stayed in the smaller towns and rural areas. I am leaving Indiana because I hate the cold weather. Anything below 50 is pretty much miserable to me. I know Florida weather can get extremely hot, but so can Indiana weather and I'd rather sweat than freeze. I have visited a few times, but didn't really look into it as though I was moving. Things that are important to me are good schools, nice area to raise kids, lots to do for families, near by beaches (preferrably with less salt water and more clear water like I enjoyed in Cancun if possible), diversity, and of course like everyone else wants- jobs and rental housing. I am not in a position to buy and I am actually fresh out of college looking for social service/work careers. I have considered areas such as Tampa and Orlando because of family. I've been to Naples and wasn't impressed. But Miami sounds fun. I am young so I'd like to have a night life sometimes, yet be able to raise my daughters in a great environment. Any suggestions on which areas to go to or any places that I can find advice would be appreciated. Essp on schools!
Heres what id do if i were in your shoes :

Examine job prospects in your specialty and determine what part of Florida has the most . It will no doubt be in or close to the major cities in the State. Then , id plan on coming down for at least a week long visit on job interviews while looking at the area for housing, etc... I would not move down here without a job first . If you can secure a job in an area where you have family or friends, then so much the better as that will be a benefit in relocating. Id also make sure youre going to like the summers down here as they are brutal especially in central and southern Florida . You need to also take into account schooling for your child as well as a reasonably safe area of the State for you both to reside in. Youll find alot of good info using CityData site and asking questions in Forums.

I moved down here from northern Illinois and like it in the Panhandle , but then again, im retired which makes things vastly different for me versus your situation. I came down here mostly to be near family and to escape the horrible winters up north , and to buy a home cheap while living off my savings. I suspect many non retired people move down here hoping to get a job , only to find Florida a poor opportunity so they move back home -- So be careful how you go about the job situation particularly. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
EXCELLENT advice.

A word of caution, on top of all of the other warnings. If you can speak Spanish you will have a shot in social services -- although the unemployment rate is terrible in Florida -- otherwise you probably will have a difficult time finding a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Heres what id do if i were in your shoes :

Examine job prospects in your specialty and determine what part of Florida has the most . It will no doubt be in or close to the major cities in the State. Then , id plan on coming down for at least a week long visit on job interviews while looking at the area for housing, etc... I would not move down here without a job first . If you can secure a job in an area where you have family or friends, then so much the better as that will be a benefit in relocating. Id also make sure youre going to like the summers down here as they are brutal especially in central and southern Florida . You need to also take into account schooling for your child as well as a reasonably safe area of the State for you both to reside in. Youll find alot of good info using CityData site and asking questions in Forums.

I moved down here from northern Illinois and like it in the Panhandle , but then again, im retired which makes things vastly different for me versus your situation. I came down here mostly to be near family and to escape the horrible winters up north , and to buy a home cheap while living off my savings. I suspect many non retired people move down here hoping to get a job , only to find Florida a poor opportunity so they move back home -- So be careful how you go about the job situation particularly. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida