Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM

23 posts, read 30,922 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your comments! For more details, I am a 30 something f who works in the medical field. For now I would be renting. What I would like is a full time medical assistant job and part time at a restaurant on the beach, such as Frenchy's. That just sounds like a fun thing to do for awhile. It is true you never know until you try new things. But I do appreciate everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 PM

60 posts, read 163,328 times
Some people love it, some people hate it. That's how it is EVERYWHERE! I spent the last 2 years in Colorado where most people LOVED it but i couldn't wait to move back to FL. It was so beautiful there but i hated the weather. My husband is from Tampa and after 21 years of being in the military and moving every few years he is now retiring and we moved back to FL. I'm loving it, but i've only been here for a few weeks, so maybe i'll feel differently after a year or two but right now i am very optimistic I say move and give it a go. I'm living in Wesley Chapel (only about 10 miles from me/husband's work) and we are VERY pleased with the location. You have to drive into New Tampa/Tampa for most things, but we like being a little "removed". Good luck on your move!!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Please give us more specifics of what you like and don't like. Some FL lovers paint a rosier picture then what you may encounter down here. What part of PA are you moving from?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,594 times
Employment picture here is not great, but is supposedly better in the medical field. Restaurant work is findable but will be better during season.

It's a great place to live if you have a job and make decent money. Most people who don't like it couldn't make it here, but most people who couldn't make it here wouldn't make it anywhere.

There are also many people who came with personal baggage, hoping the sunshine and palm trees would make it all go away. When it didn't, they blamed the state.

Then there are those that came here and didn't realize it was different from "back home" and because of that, think it sucks.

If you move here with a way to make money, a positive attitude, and an open mind, and you like warm, tropical-ish weather, you'll love it here.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
I happen to love Florida, but the current unemployment problem is not an exaggeration. Arrive with a job or a significant savings.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 AM

794 posts, read 1,861,632 times
I wouldn't move here; stay away. The sun shines too darn many days a year. The beaches are too sandy and the water is too clear. There are too many palm trees and too many things to do on the weekend. I'm always exhausted when I go back to work on Monday's. My commute is just not long enough and my state income tax is Waaaay tooo low. I always find myself pruned because I'm either always at the beach or in the pool. And I'm always too giddy in the winter watching the poor souls in the North trudge through snow drifts.

Really, I wouldn't even consider the Tampa area. Just cross it off your list. There are just TOO many reasons why.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Reading through many topics you'll discover many will think Florida is a Paradise, others for what ever reason dont like Florida so much. difference is those of us who dont like various aspects of Florida are more than happy for those who have no problems with the state, but those who think of Florida as a paradise get mighty sensitive if we who dont like Florida so much air our grievances about the state, all of a sudden we're the evil haters and bashers,the neer do well whiners from elsewhere,those that need to leave Florida and go back where they came from etc. odd attitude for those that seem so happy in their paradise..

Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
it is what you make of it. florida (or any place) will not solve your problems. you have to have an open mind.

and definitely do not move here without a job in hand or a bunch of dough in the bank.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 12,043 times
I came from pa. If you are planning to buy watch out for hoa fees and cdd fees, cdd fees are an additional cost on top of the taxes even though they come in the tax bill try getting that straight from a realtor. hoas can put a lien on your house if you plant a pansy they dont like--look it up before you come down. camping is mostly out of the question 10 people=one alligator.
dont come here if you already have a job and have to have one here the job scene is bleak. Beautiful place great beaches fun boating. crime is the same as anywhere you can figure out where you shouldnt be if you have any sense

Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
yes... we have unemployment, layoffs, crime, drugs, a bleak housing market, hot weather in the summer, bugs and everything else people complain about. Yep, its all here.

Does it make it a bad place? I dont think so. Depending on your skills and abilities, jobs are avaialble. We have a lot of people applying for the same job, so experience and skill in the field you are looking to work in is very important.

FL is not a anomoly as far as the rest of the country goes.
its a nice place to live and propser, but you have to be prepared for the
financial difficulties that could occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfsh View Post
Would someone please verify that Florida is no worse than any other state when it comes to unemployment rate, layoffs, crime, ect.... I see and hear alot of negativity when it comes to Fl. but really doesn't every state have "baggage"? I am planning on moving to Clearwater, Tampa area from Pa early next yr and I am really excited about it, yet nervous. Thank you everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida