Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:29 PM

24 posts, read 95,613 times

Advertisements

We were thinking about renting a condo in Florida - maybe just one month if possible to try this out - probably February. I would like to be able to sit outside during the day at times. It looks like the panhandle isn't really warm enough in February. Where would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times
I'm not sure what the weather is like in Nebraska but it never gets cold enough in North FL that I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting outside during the day with perhaps a light jacket... I came from MD...

Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
For a first time snowbird, I would recommend a nice beachfront or river front condo in a place somewhere further south --- such as Stuart, Vero Beach, Jupiter, Tequesta.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I'd go south of Tampa if you want to be warm in February.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Lady View Post
We were thinking about renting a condo in Florida - maybe just one month if possible to try this out - probably February. I would like to be able to sit outside during the day at times. It looks like the panhandle isn't really warm enough in February. Where would you suggest?
It's gorgeous here in February (Seacrest/Rosemary Beaches)...

I'll even hook you up with a condo! (how big?)

Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 PM

24 posts, read 95,613 times
I looked up Seacrest/Rosemary Beaches and I'm thinking it isn't warm enough in February. I had kind of eliminated Fort Walton Beach, Destin and Panama City for that reason. I'm thinking someplace farther south would be better for me. However, I don't want to spend a fortune. A one bedroom would be fine. It looks like a lot of them require a three month minumum. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM

110 posts, read 550,257 times
It's a very difficult question. There are so many different areas in Florida. Each has it's charms and benefits. Since warm temperatures are a primary concern for you, I would look at south Florida. If you are attracted to a more urban environment with restaurants, entertainment etc, I would head towards the South Atlantic Coast. If you prefer a quieter environment, then southwest Florida would fit the bill. Also understand that in general people from the East Coast gravitate towards the Atlantic side. Midwesterners tend to be more concentrated in Southwest Florida. Given the real estate crisis, there are likely to be more rentals available. Sarasota is very beautiful area but somewhat pricey. You might be able to find some rental bargains there.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Default Suggestions

Daytona Beach Shores, New Smyrna Beach, Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach near Cape Canaveral/Melbourne would be furthest north I'd recommend.

Next would be Anna Maria Island (Bradenton Beach), Venice Beach.

Then would be Fort Myers Beach, Bonita Beach.

No doubt you could also find seasonal beachside rentals south of Melbourne on the Atlantic coast, south to Ft. Pierce. Just can't make any recommendations per se there, but these would still be areas of interest to you.

Remember, as you're seeking WARMER weather south, the HIGHER prices will be. (Have recommended specific focus beachfront areas that won't have too much "sticker shock" from NB)

Remember that "high" winter weather temps in FL reported for 70 will "actually" be 80 in direct sun, etc. like spring/fall weather temps up north, if you're outside.

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 08-27-2009 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 AM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Lady View Post
I looked up Seacrest/Rosemary Beaches and I'm thinking it isn't warm enough in February. I had kind of eliminated Fort Walton Beach, Destin and Panama City for that reason. I'm thinking someplace farther south would be better for me. However, I don't want to spend a fortune. A one bedroom would be fine. It looks like a lot of them require a three month minumum. I'll keep looking.
When you decide where you're going, look on VRBO and negotiate a monthly rental from the owner...you'll save lots $!$!$

Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
Ft Lauderdale has always been our favorite spot to rent. Our friend from Pennsylvania always rents a home every other year. THe home must have a a pool and located in Orlando. He stays for 2 summer months and visits us for the middle week and we go see the Marlins Baseball team play........ Next year the Marlins will have a new park in Miamiand it will be enclosed...We cannot wait.....

We built our 4 bdroom, 3 bath, pool and 2 car garage home on the SE coast of Florida when the prices were high...hahahahaha... We often visit our friends in Venice Beach and it is very nice there too. Beaches are nicer around Daytona and on the West Coast. Oh! Ft Lauderdale has white sandy beaches...Beautiful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida