Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Of course. On Sat and Sun too.

Laptop during the week controls my life, anywhere I can hit wi-fi
I can log on. Usually at a pit stop on my daily rounds. I don't sit at a desk all day, I spend most of my time moving around to 3 various offices.
Home I use a desktop PC.

quote=leftee;21974369]LOL, I've seen you posting after 5 PM - are you getting overtime ?[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Century...

20th Century 1901-2000

21st Century 2001-2100

So I am saying folks who moved down in the late 20th Century, or, the 1990's. Particular the later 90's when home prices started to climb at a good clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
As an old person, you are confusing me. WHICH century? lol Hell, my grandparents were from the 19th century! I really have to stop and THINK about it now.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Who says psychopaths are sad?
However, I agree the storty is b.s. and I agree sadness is subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
This fully BS story shows how some mags regard their readers as fools...

Check the criteria,1 by one...
Inconclusive,meaningless...

Sadness is subjective...
Communities with lots of psychopaths will be "the saddest "in the world.
Even if the people are prosperous,enjoy good weather etc...

This trash "journalism " must be met with boycotts.

Únsubscribe from Men's Health,it spits u at the facing...
Don't even pay $15 to Zinio for electronic subscription..

Old 12-04-2011, 04:23 PM

225 posts, read 494,177 times
Default The 10 Saddest Cities in America

Saddest Cities in America | Yahoo! Health Tampa #7 St. Pete #10

Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Another big problem besides all the obvious ones is so few ever go to the beach all those warm sunny days and experience nature and the great outdoors once they are here a while.. That is the one thing Florida stands hand and shoulders above anybody else on. They get into a groundhog day cycle of being trapped in the A/C in a crappy economy with very few opportunities when you consider we are the fourth largest state in the nation plus isolated and far from their family and friends from the old days.. Take a poll of folks at Ft Laud or Clearwater Bch these days and I bet those folks there are quite happy.. Odds are few are long time Floridians who have to work for a living raising families in the rat race. Also the shelf life of a beach bumb is not too long whether you are 25 or 65 father time catches up with you faster than you think..
Florida has wonderful beaches, great park and lots of natural things to see. I am ashamed I haven't seen more but am making a point to do so this winter. Hopefully I'll get to it after Jan when all of our visitors quit coming to visit.

There are tons of things to do here. Right now you don't have to be trapped inside, so it's time to get out. This who let Fall, Winter and early spring pass them by and stay inside are foolish and should not complain about being trapped in A/C all the time.

My family has been to the beach 3 times in the last 3 weeks It's a 45 minute drive from my house. All of us enjoy it. There are many more things to do around Florida than go to the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The only sad people I see here are the ones who can't keep up with the Jones, usually the Dr prescribes some retail therapy to help, starting with Worth Avenue then on to Saks, Neiman's, the plethora of high end malls and lastly a stop at Braman BMW with all the bags in the trunk.
I can't keep up with the Jones'. We own a 2001 Hyundai and a 2005 Kia. We live on a single income and have 3 kids. I have no cable TV and very little extra's beyond life's necessities. Clothes are frequently purchased at Ross, school lunches are made at home and I am constantly turning off lights in the house to conserve energy. Shower's are times, water consumption is monitored and A/C is never set below 80 and the heat never higher than 67.

I use the money I save by living like this to take the family out to do stuff. We buy annual passes to theme parks (so when family visits we can go with, plus its dirt cheap once you have a pass). We invite friends with kids over to hang out. We go to beaches and park to have fun. We enjoy our pool and back yard or play ping pong in the game room.

You'll be amazed at the amount of things you have time for and can afford to do once you get rid of Cable TV. Don;t get me wrong, we have NetFlix and it's hooked up to the TV (Roku, Laptop) and use it. But we watch a lot less because of it.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The only sad people I see here are the ones who can't keep up with the Jones, usually the Dr prescribes some retail therapy to help, starting with Worth Avenue then on to Saks, Neiman's, the plethora of high end malls and lastly a stop at Braman BMW with all the bags in the trunk.
Try to buy health, love, family, friends, wisdom and lifelong happiness at the mall. All of the things that you can fit into a shopping bag give only momentary pleasure. That's why you keep on buying, just like any addict.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Ive lived in florida for 17 years and 16 of those years in St. Petersburg, and you know what, I can say without any bias that this place BLOWS! It really is a miserable place to live and I'm only counting down the days I save up money to leave once and for all.

Why do I feel this way? NO good paying jobs, high rent prices, lack of culture, poor urban planning, and just an overall lack of community. Ive never seen so many depressed looking people in my life and I've lived in Seattle.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Blues-proof towns

10. Plano, TX A-
Burlington, VT A-
St. Paul, MN A-
Sioux Falls, SD A-
Madison, WI A-
Boston, MA A-
Omaha, NE A
Fargo, ND A
Manchester, NH A
Honolulu, HI A

With the exception of Honolulu, it looks likes shoveling snow makes people happier than laying on a beach, contrary to what Florida residents think. lol Anyway, Burlington is a very nice place with friendly people.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Blues-proof towns

10. Plano, TX A-
9. Burlington, VT A-
8. St. Paul, MN A-
7. Sioux Falls, SD A-
6. Madison, WI A-
5. Boston, MA A-
4. Omaha, NE A
3. Fargo, ND A
2. Manchester, NH A
1. Honolulu, HI A

With the exception of Honolulu, it looks likes shoveling snow makes people happier than laying on a beach, contrary to what Florida residents think. lol Anyway, Burlington is a very nice place with friendly people.
Snow isn't necessarily a bad thing. There seems to be a awful lot of extremley happy people around here nowadays. Pennies from heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida