Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 75,302 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a huge trend of Floridians that have lived in FL 5+ years are looking to leave. Where are all of you relocating to and why?

Old 08-14-2006, 01:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I went to Aiken, SC in December.

I could no longer afford the rising homeowner's insurance and property taxes on what I was making.

While I liked living in Sarasota County and had a decent job, I simply could no longer afford it.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:34 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
In South Florida, people (especially those closing in on retirement) have always left for the mountains of western North Carolina and northern Georgia. Now,Tennessee (the eastern mountains and Cumberland Plateau) seems to be the hot new destination. Reasons for leaving are hurricanes, high housing prices and property taxes, skyrocketing windstorm insurance premiums ($5,000-$10,000 a year isn't uncommon), and, in South Florida, steep increases in the cost of electricity. Even the best public schools don't rise above mediocrity, giving families with children an additional reason to leave. Salaries aren't keeping up with the cost of living. The state Legislature's power base is in bed with the insurance and utility industries; local officials are beholden to high-end developers; and the middle class is paying for it. It's too bad, because South Florida has much going for it -- beaches, outdoor activities, great restaurants, pro sports and an evolving cultural scene, just to name a few advantages. You just have to ask yourself if it's worth it. My wife and I hanging in for now -- and eagerly anticipating the day we can retire to North Carolina.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,472 times
We are going to Pennsylvania. We want more property and to be closer to the rest of our family! If the family was here we wouldn't go anywhere though.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:13 PM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times
My husband and I live in Broward county and just became empty nesters. Upon arriving back from dropping our son to college, we looked at each other and said what are we doing in this 4/3 with pool in a double cul de sac. We can't downsize, because the taxes will keep us at the same or more monthly. So we are going to list the house, be realistic in what we can get for it, be patient because we don't have to sell, we want to and then off to GA where we already spent a weekend touring the area. We will get so much more for the $$ there and it actually takes a shorter amount for our son to reach us in GA from FSU then down to S. Florida.

I moved to Fl from CT in 1980 and thought I would NEVER want to leave. I have seen the changes through the years, but in here in Broward, if I hear one more person speaking spanish in my ear, I will scream. People in general have become angry, rude and the cost of living is out of control. Even with GA state income tax, we figure we will be way ahead of the game than if we stay here.

Last edited by ready2move; 08-14-2006 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-14-2006, 06:28 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
We are going to Pennsylvania. We want more property and to be closer to the rest of our family! If the family was here we wouldn't go anywhere though.

I grew up in PA. What part are you going to? I lived in Philly, Middletown, and Pittsburgh. I came to Florida in the mid 80s and I'm staying put. But I still like PA.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move
My husband and I live in Broward county and just became empty nesters. Upon arriving back from dropping our son to college, we looked at each other and said what are we doing in this 4/3 with pool in a double cul de sac. We can't downsize, because the taxes will keep us at the same or more monthly. So we are going to list the house, be realistic in what we can get for it, be patient because we don't have to sell, we want to and then off to GA where we spend a weekend touring the area. We will get so much more for the $$ there and it actually takes a shorter amount for our son to reach us in GA from FSU then down to S. Florida.

I moved to Fl from CT in 1980 and thought I would NEVER want to leave. I have seen the changes through the years, but in here in Broward, if I hear one more person speaking spanish in my ear, I will scream. People in general have become angry, rude and the cost of living is out of control. Even with GA state income tax, we figure we will be way ahead of the game than if we stay here.
I lived in Broward ...Coral Springs... when I first moved to Florida but am in Central Florida. I like it here much better. Good luck selling your home!

Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM

15 posts, read 68,281 times
After 10 years of Fla. we started missing the area up North (N.J) where we both grew up. My sister and her kids already left Miami to move back to NJ. We wanted the kids to have more family nearby and experience the feeling of fall and winter that the northeast offered. So, we moved to Pa. - we lasted 17mths!
Now we are moving back to Fla. - I think I have whiplash=)
Dh just couldn't find a job that compared to his job in Fla (believe it or not!) - his boss in Fla. wanted him back so bad that he kept making the offer sweeter and sweeter!
Yes, I am going to miss a lot here in Pa. It's a give and take, I suppose. We do have my parents in Fla. - so they will have grandparents nearby.

I don't know if this is a forever home or not! LOL - we told the kids we would make it a 10 year home at least so they can all finish school and build some roots!

Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
From what I have heard/observed: TN, NC & GA.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 73,987 times
Default alabama

My wife and I are relocating to NE Alabama. Don't let any one fool you, Florida has gone down the drain. Very high cost of living, home owners insurance is out of control and property taxes are nuts, All of the big money developers have all of the county officials on their payrolls!! We live in Lake County near Clermont and it is the 21st fastest growing county in the United States.

Schools are so crowded that this week we heard of kids having to eat lunch in the bathrooms. Property taxes will continue to increase because all of the development is coming and we don't enough schools or fire and police stations. The cost of living in Alabama is 22% lower than here. The only difference between living here and the east coast is that it doesn't get cold here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida