Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
bfa bfa started this thread

80 posts, read 458,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Well then you feel my pain, Macguy ! The house I speak up above, I really don't want to sell, and of course, there are many factors, but property tax reasons are on the short list of reasons why I think it's best I sell .

And you're totally right, the SOH is awful when you go to buy a new house - you end up paying more taxes than your new neighbors and that just doesn't seem fair. So why don't they just let people choose then? Why do away with SOH altogether? Why not let US make the choice when we move from one house to another which way we want to go? THAT'S what's bugging me about it. If they're taking away our choice, WHY are they taking away our choice? It's very suspect .

I love the home I live in now and feel very fortunate to have it, but I don't want to stay in my current home forever. In fact, my husband and I know where we want to end up eventually and we even drive through that neighborhood from time to time looking at the houses . Someday I'm going to be old (ugh! ) and it seems like SOH is the more sensible choice for long-term planning.
There is some talk that if this doesn't pass, there will be a bill allowing for the 'portability of SOH' for your next home purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times
Here is a site with a lot of pending citizens initaives against taxes and run away govt spending.

Check it out. Its a good un.

FLORIDA BALLOT INITIATIVE

Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfa View Post
There is some talk that if this doesn't pass, there will be a bill allowing for the 'portability of SOH' for your next home purchase.
I wonder why they didn't include it in this amendment then? That's the thing - if they made this a more comprehensive amendment, it could serve more people .

Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
"Glad I'm not the only one thinking "Super" isn't so super !"

It would be super for millions of your neighbors who are being beaten down by abusive taxes on their homes.

And if your unlikely worst fears are realized in 20 years then the voters can remedy the new problems with a new supersize exemption.

And if the supersize exemption fails at the polls in January, you will lose too in the long run. The Tax Mafia will know they have beaten the taxpayer once again and they will be even harder to beat in the future.

And for all of your SOH people who will vote to deny your suffering neighbors tax relief, tax relief that you have already,.

Remember this: What goes around comes around.

The numbers of the SOH home owners who get a large tax break shrinks every year while the number of your neighbors who suffer under the abusive bubble taxes grows every year.

I myself, will vote to have all us homeowners in the same boat to share the tax burden equally, especially knowing that many SOH people voted against the super that would have provided me with desperately needed tax relief.

If the Super fails, the days of the SOH will be numbered.
I agree, the SOH does not work anymore. When some people are paying $500 or less per year on property taxes, something is desperately wrong (how about the churches that pay ZERO? but that's another thread...).

If they'd build a cap into this amendment, maybe I'd consider it, but losing the cap seems like a bad, bad idea.

I know what you're saying about it helping out other Floridians, especially South Floridians, but for those of us in other parts of Florida, this amendment may cause us more problems and the relief may be of little benefit except to the most recent homebuyers. We are in a different real estate market in NorthEast Florida and that's a big part of why I am seeing it differently. I don't wish ill on others (nor do I think you should either with 'what goes around comes around'), but I can't vote for something that hurts me just for the benefit of others.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
bfa bfa started this thread

80 posts, read 458,392 times
Quote:
I wonder why they didn't include it in this amendment then? That's the thing - if they made this a more comprehensive amendment, it could serve more people .
I wonder, too. I read about the portability last week sometime. I think it is to be introduced by Mark Rubio? Don't quote me on that one, I could be wrong. But it was an interesting article/concept. If the Super doesn't pass in Jan, that is.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Portability will definalely lead to the current system being overturned as unconstitutional. Why do we continue to allow this nonsense? Tax on purchase price or set a flat rate based on services used. This tax mess is going to sink the Florida bubble faster than anything else.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Portability will definalely lead to the current system being overturned as unconstitutional. Why do we continue to allow this nonsense? Tax on purchase price or set a flat rate based on services used. This tax mess is going to sink the Florida bubble faster than anything else.
Okay, but what to do about this upcoming amendment vote, Tallrick? How do you plan to vote on it?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I will vote for it, unless something better comes up. As of now "save our Homes" can only benefit those who bought before 2001. Save our homes is phasing itself out now as we write this. I am also signing the other petitions.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As of now "save our Homes" can only benefit those who bought before 2001.
I think SOH can also benefit those of us who plan to move again in the future but remain in Florida.

If I move again to a different house in Jacksonville (likely), my new taxes would be based on that new purchase price (high), but then they would be capped (at 3%). Who can say for sure that the Super Exemption would be a better option for me? I'd like to have the choice after I've done the math myself.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
I think SOH can also benefit those of us who plan to move again in the future but remain in Florida.

If I move again to a different house in Jacksonville (likely), my new taxes would be based on that new purchase price (high), but then they would be capped (at 3%). Who can say for sure that the Super Exemption would be a better option for me? I'd like to have the choice after I've done the math myself.
Have you really thought about it? Let,s say you buy a home at $200,000 with the super exemption and because of the mean politicians raising the millage to a staggering .035 mills (will never happen) your tax is $1750.00. With things staying the same that same house with a $25,000 deduction and your SOH will be around $3675.00. in tax a year. Considering property values going up over time the house will have to go up in value over 100% to even come close to you paying what you will pay with the SOH right out of the box. Now take into account the money you have already saved due to the lower taxes as the value of the house went up, if it dose, probably over many many years.

It would probably never reach the point where it was an even deal. And, if you sell the house and buy another you are back at square one and this whole $crewing starts all over again, you never get out from under. SOH is like a carnival game they are playing with you. I don't know what to tell you, SOH is a con, it looks like something good but it's benefits are an illusion unless you never ever move and property values sky rocket as recently happened, creating this fear people now have as they stay imprisoned in their homes scared to death, afraid they will disturb their SOH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida