Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 11,791 times

Advertisements

hi there again, this is her fiancee. thanks for all the help so far, you all have been great.

we are deffenitly looking for a 2+ bedroom . in fact we need a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. house, apartment, or condo to rent only. [not buy]. we figure with what we could afford somewere around $800-$1000 a month not including utilities ect. i realy dont want to be around the jacksonville
area because of the high crime in that area. i have some friends that used to live there, and now, there back here because of it. they only lasted 6-months there before they gave up. anyways heres what were looking for:
somewere close-ish to the beaches, little crime, and good family area.i've already looked at the news press paper, and do like that they even have the crimes listed in the areas. it seems theres not a whole lot of crime
there, and the prices seem ok so far. it seems in fort myers most of the crime happens southwest of there by the water front areas around cypress lake. it's funny though because all places have the bad areas, lol. hear its the west-end of louisville, ky. bad, very bad area. but anyways yeah i'll
have to check out the other paper in a while and see what it offers.

also, i did however notice some houses for rent in the west palm area for around what were looking to pay. i have question?, does west palm also have
the bad areas, gang members, ect. or is most west palm pretty safe to live. i'm not talking about petty crimes, i'm talking about violent crimes happening there. hope not though. i've also looked at some of the areas in
the north like tallahassee area ect. not to sure thats what were looking for though. i've heard it's like living in alabama, just a little closer to the
water. can anybody confirm this, because if so don't think we would like it very much.

anyways thanks for all the help again, please keep it coming as we still have around 5-6 months to decide. and of coure will take time for us to look
at all the locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM

119 posts, read 396,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana4321 View Post
Hey all,

Me,my fiancee ,my mother and her fiancee are looking to move to florida in the next 5-6 months we are looking for more information on a area that is reasonable to live and a low crime area. we can afford around 800.00 a month maybe a little more.I currently have a job here hopfully i can transfer but if not this would be the type of work id be looking for im looking for either costumer service,managment,cashier,office work or restraunt work. my mother would be looking for a job there tho would it be hard for her to find an office type job she currently works as a office clerk for a dentist office.my fiance is disabled and cant work due to an accident a few years ago.my moms fiance is retired but a very low fixed income.we dont have any kids at the moment. please any input would be appreciated it.

thanks.
The west coast, or gulf coast, is going to be cheaper to live than the east coast. It's a great place to live, as long as you don't mind not having snow at Christmas. The sun shines about 360 days a year. No gloomy days here!! Check out Charlotte County, Florida Community Pages

Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlered View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a good police department to work for? My husband and I are looking to move from Ohio to Florida. There are not many police jobs around here and most departments are laying police off. So, we could pick anywhere in the US to live and we decided on Florida. We hate winters, and it is very and I mean very boring around here. We would love a good place to raise our two small children. So, any suggestions would be great.
Miami-Dade is hiring, but if it were me I wouldn't let a family member work as a cop in Broward or Miami-Dade just to dangerous.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlered View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a good police department to work for? My husband and I are looking to move from Ohio to Florida. There are not many police jobs around here and most departments are laying police off. So, we could pick anywhere in the US to live and we decided on Florida. We hate winters, and it is very and I mean very boring around here. We would love a good place to raise our two small children. So, any suggestions would be great.
Orlando is hiring
City of Orlando, Florida Police Department - Police Recruiting

Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
also, i did however notice some houses for rent in the west palm area for around what were looking to pay. i have question?, does west palm also have the bad areas, gang members, ect. or is most west palm pretty safe to live. i'm not talking about petty crimes, i'm talking about violent crimes happening there. hope not though. i've also looked at some of the areas in the north like tallahassee area ect. not to sure thats what were looking for though. i've heard it's like living in alabama, just a little closer to the water. can anybody confirm this, because if so don't think we would like it very much.
Yes Palm Beach has its bad area. And yes it has crime, the bad kind. Actually parts of Palm Beach are ranked like some of the highest crime in the country someone said. If you want questions on Palm Beach go to the Miami section and ask any question you want there, there are a few that live in palm Beach that post in that forum. Also read some of the past forum for some more information too. Also in South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade counties) remember that if you see cheap rent under $1000 for a 2/2 there is a reason why it is cheap.

Tallahasse is a college town and the capital of Florida. It is a very nice town, it is close to the GA border like 30 minutes. You are about an hour from the ocean actually. Also look at the Panhandle cities, they will be cheaper compared to other parts of the state, but they are in hurricane zone too. Look at Panama City, Penscola, Destin, St. Augustine and Daytona etc.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
we are deffenitly looking for a 2+ bedroom . in fact we need a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. house, apartment, or condo to rent only. [not buy]. we figure with what we could afford somewere around $800-$1000 a month not including utilities ect. i realy dont want to be around the jacksonville
area because of the high crime in that area. i have some friends that used to live there, and now, there back here because of it. they only lasted 6-months there before they gave up. anyways heres what were looking for:
somewere close-ish to the beaches, little crime, and good family area..
I didn't respond earlier because $800 doesn't rent much in Jax, but if you're looking at $1000 + utilities it opens up some possibilities.

I know you said your friends did not have a good experience here, but it's entirely possible they lived in the wrong area. Jax has some great parts, some not so great parts and some awful parts. If you do decide to take a look at the city for yourself, zero in on the Southside/Intracoastal West/Beaches area. You could easily find a modest, but nice 2 bedroom apartment a few miles in from the beach in a family-friendly, safe area where there is plenty of work. Though there is crime in the city, it is easy to avoid much of it by choosing the right area to live in - I've had no problems here and I've been here for years .

Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 11,791 times
i took a look at the jacksonville aera, there not many places to rent there it seems. either to much, in good areas, and i don't want to live in the bad areas, lol. i've been looking alot at cape coral/fort myers area. it seem realy nice there, and they do have alot of places to rent from $700-$1000. it would also be close to the beach, and looks clean there, well cape area mostly but yeah it seems nice.

anybody have anymore info on this area of florida thank's
[cape coral/fort myers]

whenlooking the info about the cape, there seems to be alot of ordenences [laws] about eveyrthing. what is some of the pros and cons about the area, and laws.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,049 times
I lived in various areas there and I recently moved back home to Massachusetts because I had enough of Florida. I have friends that moved 2 weeks before I did back to Illinois for the same reason. Florida is not for everyone, you will have to go for yourself and see if you like it. I will try not be negative about it towards you.

If you want to live near the beach in a good area. Vero Beach is nice, Bradenton is nice but the schools are not all that great. Let me just tell you first hand, the schools in Florida are not very good all over. My parents live in Cape Coral Florida, and it's pretty good there, but the crime is beginning to spill over the causeway from Fort Myers into the Cape and that is starting to hurt them. Stay away from Tampa, YUCK. Lakeland is good, but EXTREMELY hot in the summer(april to November). I was in Melbourne/Palm Bay for years and I like it there. Nice Beaches on the EAST COAST of Florida, Vero, Melbourne all awesome beaches...

Forget Naples if you want to live in a place for $800 a month, Naples is way overpriced, and really sucks, I just left there. You can live in Melbourne, Vero, Cape Coral, Lakeland for $800 or so.

If you want to go to Southwest Florida GO TO CAPE CORAL. Do not live in Fort Myers. Unless you find a place in the McGregor road area. Yet that is way more expensive. Here is a link to the Cape Coral paper.

Hot-Ads SW Florida, FL

I wish you luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,049 times
There are also no "bad" areas of Cape Coral, I have been all over that city... Look in the Hot Ad's link I sent you under apartments for rent, houses, and condo's. You'll see the prices are excellent there.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:

anybody have anymore info on this area of florida thank's
[cape coral/fort myers]

whenlooking the info about the cape, there seems to be alot of ordenences [laws] about eveyrthing. what is some of the pros and cons about the area, and laws.
If you don't HAVE to live in SW FL, don't! Take some time to read previous posts about Fort Myers & Cape Coral. Before we moved to SWFL [due to a job], I didn't want to believe what I read...then we moved here...about 75-80% of what is was posted months ago is the truth & it still holds true to this day. We avoided Cape Coral & Fort Myers due to several researched concerns.

There are WAY nicer areas than Cape Coral & Fort Myers. Why is Cape Coral cheap? Because of overspeculation & greed by developers & investors. You will find the cheapest rent in areas that have tons of empty homes & desolate looking streets. To do anything other than buy groceries, you need to travel over the toll bridge. Wait until season starts & the retirees & snowbirds are out...the wait on the bridge is not fun.

There is little difference b/w Cape Coral & Fort Myers. Both are the strangest, weirdest places to live. It is NOT a friendly area of SW FL.

There are better places in FL & ones that will fit your budget. Save yourself the misery & stay out of SW FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida