Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 33,811 times

Advertisements

We are looking for the ideal Florida community for a well-to-do Louisiana family of 4. We are a mixed-race, well-educated, affluent family looking for an upper middle class or affluent community where our 9-11 year old children can make deep meaningful friendships without regard to the color of their skin. Wife and children would live in Florida full time; husband would tele-commute with some travel to South Louisiana to monitor business interests, would prefer easy access to a major airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Windemere in Orange county, near Orlando.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
You can find liberal pockets in all of the major cities. If you want a city that is progressive overall you don't have many choices. Tallahassee/Gainesville/Sarasota are about your only options. I'd say Sarasota is probably the best option as the others are college towns. Sarasota isn't super liberal but it's about the best you'll do in Florida.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Orlando, I can say with a reasonable certainty that your race won't be much of a factor here. Orlando (city proper) is fairly liberal for a southern major city. Heavily democratic, progressive, green conscious, gay friendly, but like anywhere else we still have our problems. Orange County is the greater area and largely moderate/liberal. Good areas here are Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, Downtown Orlando, Islesworth, Conway/Belle Isle, Downtown South.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Windemere in Orange county, near Orlando.
I would pick Dr Phillips over that. Closer to attractions and the airport with good diversity and schools

Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLouisiana View Post
We are looking for the ideal Florida community for a well-to-do Louisiana family of 4. We are a mixed-race, well-educated, affluent family looking for an upper middle class or affluent community where our 9-11 year old children can make deep meaningful friendships without regard to the color of their skin. Wife and children would live in Florida full time; husband would tele-commute with some travel to South Louisiana to monitor business interests, would prefer easy access to a major airport.
As a fellow liberal and native Floridian (without hometown boosterism agendas) I would recommend Broward County (Fort Lauderdale metro) which is the most liberal county in Florida and multi-cultural/diverse as well. Check out the cities of Coral Springs, Weston or Coconut Creek which are fairly safe, have top-rated schools (A/A+ schools) and family-friendly activities, as well as close proximity to Fort Lauderdale International Airport which has extensive service domestically and internationally. I would not recommend Orlando as others have due to the fact the liberal neighborhoods are very white/not diverse, besides being somewhat isolated or island-like in terms of belief systems of surrounding neighborhoods. Not to mention the schools don't stack up to the Broward County districts. There's quite a difference between tolerance and acceptance, and find many use the phrases interchangeably without regard to the true definition which is an important distinction. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You can find liberal pockets in all of the major cities. If you want a city that is progressive overall you don't have many choices. Tallahassee/Gainesville/Sarasota are about your only options. I'd say Sarasota is probably the best option as the others are college towns. Sarasota isn't super liberal but it's about the best you'll do in Florida.
Totally agree with this post, especially about Sarasota. I live here and it's wonderful. And while it is not a big college town like Tallahassee or Gainesville, it does have three small but expanding important colleges, one of which is Ringling College of Art and Design. Sarasota is known as the "culture coast" for all of it's museums, art festivals, galleries and other arts amenities. There is also a big focus on education here, with some of the best schools in the state, and many wonderful private schools. Sarasota has also a focus on organic eating and green living. Politically, it is about 50-50, kind of middle of the road. For a small city, it is extremely cosmopolitan, with people from all over the US and world living full or part time here. Also, some of the most beautiful beaches in the country are to be found here (Siesta rated #1 by Dr. Beach). Lastly, it has a beautiful small international airport, and is only an hour away from Tampa International.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 37,557 times
I'm a 45 year old woman who was born in Lake County and raised in the middle of Orange Grove country. We attended a small school by most standards. Most Floridians are color-blind!
Imo, it would be harder to find racists here than to find places/areas without racism.
I've lived in Orlando and Sanford among other cities...small, medium or large.
Most people are judged on their character and actions, not their race or lifestyle.
I believe racism migrated here, for the most part, and even that is in very small numbers.
Most of the people in Florida, the natives, don't see color or political parties... you don't have to be Liberal to be loving, caring people/neighbors who live and let live.

In saying that, I'd say you'll most likely enjoy which ever city you choose to live at.
And your greatest problem would probably be the lower wages and lower standard of education in Florida schools. Its a good thing that your husband works out of state, if I understood the OP right.
Good luck.
Peace

Last edited by justme2322; 05-01-2012 at 12:41 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Totally agree with this post, especially about Sarasota. I live here and it's wonderful. And while it is not a big college town like Tallahassee or Gainesville, it does have three small but expanding important colleges, one of which is Ringling College of Art and Design. Sarasota is known as the "culture coast" for all of it's museums, art festivals, galleries and other arts amenities. There is also a big focus on education here, with some of the best schools in the state, and many wonderful private schools. Sarasota has also a focus on organic eating and green living. Politically, it is about 50-50, kind of middle of the road. For a small city, it is extremely cosmopolitan, with people from all over the US and world living full or part time here. Also, some of the most beautiful beaches in the country are to be found here (Siesta rated #1 by Dr. Beach). Lastly, it has a beautiful small international airport, and is only an hour away from Tampa International.

Hope this helps!
While I agree Sarasota is a nice town (and we usually agree ), it does not offer a good match for the OP in my opinion as it's not diverse. Sarasota is very White with a small Black minority that lives quite separate from the rest of the population. The OP mentioned wanting to live in a place where his children could grow up seeing diversity and places like Coral Springs offer that, with excellent schools and amazing diversity...52% White, 18% Black, 24% Hispanic, 5% Asian, 7.5% Other Race or Multi-Ethnic. It's also in a far more cosmopolitan and cultural area yet in a safe, suburban setting. Additionally Coral Springs is far more liberal, being in the bluest county in the state.

Coral Springs, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
While I agree Sarasota is a nice town (and we usually agree ), it does not offer a good match for the OP in my opinion as it's not diverse. Sarasota is very White with a small Black minority that lives quite separate from the rest of the population. The OP mentioned wanting to live in a place where his children could grow up seeing diversity and places like Coral Springs offer that, with excellent schools and amazing diversity...52% White, 18% Black, 24% Hispanic, 5% Asian, 7.5% Other Race or Multi-Ethnic. It's also in a far more cosmopolitan and cultural area yet in a safe, suburban setting. Additionally Coral Springs is far more liberal, being in the bluest county in the state.

Coral Springs, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dr Phillips in Orlando is pretty diverse

Quote:
As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 9,548 people, 3,451 households, and 2,691 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,084.3/km² (2,808.4/mi²). There were 3,769 housing units at an average density of 428.0/km² (1,108.6/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 44.14% White, 33.05% African American, 0.06% Native American, 8.46% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.94% from other races, and 2.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.36% of the population.
Doctor Phillips, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida