Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 159,168 times

Advertisements

I want a downtown feel to the town, but I don't really want a big city or a small town. I want something that has it all and that includes all modern day things like nice town centers and outlets malls. I think the thing I am going to emphasize is the fact that it needs a town center and downtown or main street. Downtown character and the town center will have all of modern day needs and amenities. It should be beachfront or at least have easy access to the ocean. I think the places that sort of suit my wants and needs are mainly just Punta Gorda, Naples, and St. Petersburg. So I don't want that small, secluded fishing town, I want that lively and fun town that's modern and has character at the same time. I know they say a lot of people in Sarasota are idiots and only care about looks and money and crap, but I want nice living with friendly people as well. Friendly and young people, not old, retired people. Nothing against them, but it would just seem TOO boring. So to wrap it up, downtown feel, lots of fun, good jobs, not too secluded (close to some sort of major city), modern, has character and diversity as well. As for the location, I would probably say west coast of Florida, not Northern Florida like Destin and places like that. Tampa and down pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
So what your saying is. You want everything perfect, not to big, not to small, but a city designed the way you want it.

I would keep looking........

Only 3 places that fit your LOCATION description are Naples or Fort Myers/Cape Coral or Bradenton/Sarasota.

In my opinion your best bet is gonna be Sarasota for what u want.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:50 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I want to move here too, after reading a poll on the MN forum that shows more people prefer winter than summer by a slim margin. I want heat and humidity! Though not ALL year around like south FL, I need some variety.

Everybody everywhere will have people who care about looks, money, drinking, partying, and young soulish ideals. Except the pacific northwest, say Oregon. Even there too though.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Scratch Naples off your list.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Sarasota is a great place to live, don't understand your negative comments about it, OP. This place fits what you are looking for to a T. Of course it does have retirees, but so do the other places on your list - this is Florida - it is filled with retirees. But plenty of young people, too. Sarasota has THREE smaller colleges here, also plenty of young professionals. A compact, vibrant waterfront downtown, St. Armand's Circle, award winning beaches, and in the process of building one of only two new malls being built in the country. Plus all the outlet malls, a new Costco, new Trader Joe's - I don't have time to even name everything this small city has. If this doesn't fill your bill, then sorry, I don't think you can find it here in Florida. Punta Gorda would not come close. Naples is practically ALL retirees. St. Pete is nice and has a great downtown, but seriously lacks other shopping that you want.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Miami.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 159,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sarasota is a great place to live, don't understand your negative comments about it, OP. This place fits what you are looking for to a T. Of course it does have retirees, but so do the other places on your list - this is Florida - it is filled with retirees. But plenty of young people, too. Sarasota has THREE smaller colleges here, also plenty of young professionals. A compact, vibrant waterfront downtown, St. Armand's Circle, award winning beaches, and in the process of building one of only two new malls being built in the country. Plus all the outlet malls, a new Costco, new Trader Joe's - I don't have time to even name everything this small city has. If this doesn't fill your bill, then sorry, I don't think you can find it here in Florida. Punta Gorda would not come close. Naples is practically ALL retirees. St. Pete is nice and has a great downtown, but seriously lacks other shopping that you want.

Good luck.
Okay, I see. Thank you for the answer and the reason I said that about Sarasota is because a few people that lived there said that people there only worry about how money someone has and what they look like and stuff. I personally liked the look and feel of Sarasota, so yeah I think that's back on my list and Naples is off my list. Thanks! If you want to post more, than feel free because I'm trying to have about four cities to choose from.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDuba98 View Post
Okay, I see. Thank you for the answer and the reason I said that about Sarasota is because a few people that lived there said that people there only worry about how money someone has and what they look like and stuff. I personally liked the look and feel of Sarasota, so yeah I think that's back on my list and Naples is off my list. Thanks! If you want to post more, than feel free because I'm trying to have about four cities to choose from.
Remember that every one of us has our own opinions, preferences and criteria about a place so you can't always make a decision based on what a few people tell you, or even the posts on an internet forum. I am sure there are some people here in Sarasota that are like what your friends described, but you can find that in Tampa, St. Pete or almost any other place as well (including a thriving Amish village) Believe me, my husband and I are a FAR CRY from that. The great thing about Sarasota is that it has a quirky and interesting history (circus heritage)- it is the third wealthiest city in Florida (after Miami and Naples) but there are also people who live here that are low to middle income as well. There are loads of art and cultural amenities here, lots of upscale or newer shopping areas, every major upscale food chain, tons of unique cafes and restaurants, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc. etc. All the amenities of a much larger city. The biggest downside to it is that from about Jan. - April we have "season", which is when this city gets flooded with snowbirds and vacationers. But even that to me is not that big a deal.

Feel free to send me a direct message with any other specific questions you may have. I am always glad to help.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
St Augustine..

Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
St Augustine..
He said west coast of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida