Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Florida's climate - dangerous to old people?

The question should be "Are old people Fdangerous to Florida's climate?"

And yes, they are. Especially on the highway.
Hmmm not as dangerous as some 18-35 yr olds in their Hondas and Mustangs etc who are high on drugs or alcohol, texting, or talking on their I-phones, driving down the highway and even city streets,tailgating, changing lanes, running the red lights or driving 95 mph even if the speed limit is 45. JMHO and lest you forget someday soon you will be one of those old people........unless you die young.
We all get old and some of the things we probably did when we were your age now seem so silly and dangerous that we are smart enough to think twice before doing them....or not doing them. LOL Another thought....you would probably think I am old, but in my mind the age for old has changed over the year.....at 16 it was 21. At 21 it was 30. At 30 it was 40. At 40 it was 50. At 50 it was 60....and at 60 it was 90. You just won't see yourself as old unless you feel old in your mind. Sometimes you have to pinch yourself and say that 30 year old is my child.....how can that be, I am only 35........so catch ya at the beach. I'll be the old white haired lady in the Cadilac with the vinyl top driving 10 mph barely seeing over the steering wheel,taking 10 minutes to get the car parked. NOT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
The chances of you having a major respiratory problem in the three minutes it takes to get from your central AC home into your AC car in the summer in Florida are far lower than the chances of breaking a hip slipping on snow or ice in the winter in the Northern States.

By the way, many people with respiratory problems are also affected by frigid air. So that part of the equation seems a wash.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Hmmm not as dangerous as some 18-35 yr olds in their Hondas and Mustangs etc who are high on drugs or alcohol, texting, or talking on their I-phones, driving down the highway and even city streets,tailgating, changing lanes, running the red lights or driving 95 mph even if the speed limit is 45. JMHO and lest you forget someday soon you will be one of those old people........unless you die young.
We all get old and some of the things we probably did when we were your age now seem so silly and dangerous that we are smart enough to think twice before doing them....or not doing them. LOL Another thought....you would probably think I am old, but in my mind the age for old has changed over the year.....at 16 it was 21. At 21 it was 30. At 30 it was 40. At 40 it was 50. At 50 it was 60....and at 60 it was 90. You just won't see yourself as old unless you feel old in your mind. Sometimes you have to pinch yourself and say that 30 year old is my child.....how can that be, I am only 35........so catch ya at the beach. I'll be the old white haired lady in the Cadilac with the vinyl top driving 10 mph barely seeing over the steering wheel,taking 10 minutes to get the car parked. NOT!!

I don't know, but how many 18-35 year olds run into storefronts here in FL? You're too old when you mistake the gas pedal for the break.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
Most people rarely experience Florida temperatures. They go from their air conditioned home to their air conditioned car, then drive to their air conditioned destination! My wife and I are seniors and we don't drive, just bike, bus and walk. We had a tough time w/ the first summer here because we're out in the weather more than people who drive, but you learn to pace yourself, and get acclimated. Besides, there's always a breeze at the beach

Unless you're in Death Valley or somewhere, cold will kill you a lot quicker than heat. 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity are uncomfortable, 20 below zero is deadly.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Unless you're in Death Valley or somewhere, cold will kill you a lot quicker than heat. 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity are uncomfortable, 20 below zero is deadly.
In my case the heat would get me first.assuming i'm appropriately dressed for the cold.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Most people rarely experience Florida temperatures. They go from their air conditioned home to their air conditioned car, then drive to their air conditioned destination! My wife and I are seniors and we don't drive, just bike, bus and walk. We had a tough time w/ the first summer here because we're out in the weather more than people who drive, but you learn to pace yourself, and get acclimated. Besides, there's always a breeze at the beach

Please clarify what percentage is "most" people and where did you get this information? Do you by chance live in a retirement community? Is there a golf course?
Of course in some areas where public transit is not as accessible or where there is a large elderly population that may have problems walking great distances and may use the car more but the golfers still golf, the tennis players still play.
Not trying to be harsh but generalizations irk me. I see people outside every day. I know many people that use the AC at home and in the car at a minimum. When I lived in Dade/Broward area I always saw people out and about. My territory for work was mostly along the beach and just the other side of the inter coastal and people were everywhere all year.
When I go to Boca and Deerfield Beach to visit friends I see people everywhere outside.
If you are in a further inland community, further from shopping then yes, less people will walk because of the distance.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:

Please feel free to post your experiences or perceptions on this public forum without bogging us down with numbers. I might be wrong, but I think generalizations are allowed.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Enlightenment....

Florida Weather Casualties

Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Florida is know as the state where people "come to die"

We shouldnt disappoint...

Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I agree with many that coming to Florida without knowing your tolerance for heat and humidity is really poor planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: