Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 06:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Use turn signals instead of just hitting the brakes and turning!
Use them for changing lanes to, not just doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,411,930 times
"We should make suggestions on how to make FL more like "up Nawth"

Umm... No we shouldn't. Florida is Florida. Deal with it.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,180,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Yeah you know, something other than flat land and mixed shrubbery and mosquitoes.

Mountains are actually quite scenic. Especially up there. Build a house in the mountains, go out on your back deck and see mountain ranges in the back yard. It's quite nice. Of course it doesn't compare to stucco mud huts and retention ponds...but it's close.
Have you tried the Himalayas? Or even the Andes? How about Matterhorn between Switzerland and Italy? They are far more scenic than NC.

For me, for lower 48 standards, FL has beauty above and below water(the below water is not seen by most people, hence they only see a flat pancake terrain with mixed shrubbery.)If you're a Floridian and have not seen that beauty, I don't know what to say. It's better than looking at mountain ranges(you're in a different world).

Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,161,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
We know. They're all here now. One guy ran over a landscapers leg last week. What did the driver do. He said "I gotta go to work, I can't stick around." Where was the driver from? NY. Ambulance came. I hope the guy got a big ticket for leaving the scene.
Oh yeah, this only in FL and people from NY are responsible. That has to be the most ridiculous statement Ive seen posted anywhere. I guess you can back up your story with a link?

STATESVILLE, NC (WBTV) -
Police in Statesville are investigating after a woman was fatally run over in the parking lot of Walmart on Monday. According to the Statesville Police Department, officers were called to the Walmart along the 1110-block of Crossroads Drive on Monday morning around 11 a.m.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. —
A Papa John's Pizza delivery driver was run over by his own SUV Thursday morning.

GREENSBORO, N.C. – One woman is dead and two people injured after police said a truck ran a stop sign and crashed into a car Saturday in Greensboro.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:28 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,187,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Use them for changing lanes to, not just doing it.
Whenever people start talking about driving conditions.......most people driving here learned to drive in other states or countries so we can't just blame the people (natives and long term residents) for the driving we see on the roads today.

How many rental cars are on the road on a daily basis stopping and turning without signals? If it is a white or black SUV or mini van, good chance it is someone who doesn't live here driving.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Spring Hillian, you are reinforcing my desire to snowbird. I love fall color too much (probably) ever to move back to Florida permanently, and we have thirty years worth of ties here, but I am looking forward to green, sunny winters.
As you know, its nice not having to live in a barren landscape in winter, or ever.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Whenever people start talking about driving conditions.......most people driving here learned to drive in other states or countries so we can't just blame the people (natives and long term residents) for the driving we see on the roads today.

How many rental cars are on the road on a daily basis stopping and turning without signals? If it is a white or black SUV or mini van, good chance it is someone who doesn't live here driving.
Don't know about other Countries but in every US State using turn signals is taught and is on man/most DMV tests. It isn't in the vast majority of cases a lack of knowledge it is stupidity in any State.

Generally, though not always, it is the young who ignore signalling.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
"We should make suggestions on how to make FL more like "up Nawth"

Umm... No we shouldn't. Florida is Florida. Deal with it.
Yep,lets make it less like "Up North", since Up North seems to be a place people want to leave.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Use turn signals instead of just hitting the brakes and turning!

It's been a national problem for a long time.

Epidemic Turn Signal Neglect Rate Now Approaching 50%, Causing Millions of Crashes per Year
"Epidemic Turn Signal Neglect Rate Now Approaching 50%, Causing Millions of Crashes per Year"

New Study Says Failure To Use Turn Signals Is A Leading Cause Of Car Accidents « CBS Philly

Half of drivers don't use turn signals - NASDAQ.com
"Researchers observed 12,000 cars and found a failure rate on lane changes of 48 percent. One driver in four failed to use a signal to make a turn. That data backs up a 2006 survey conducted by Response Insurance in which 57 percent of American drivers admitted not using turn signals when changing lanes. Among drivers 18 to 24, 71 percent said they don't use their signals."

Old 02-08-2016, 04:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,941,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Have you tried the Himalayas? Or even the Andes? How about Matterhorn between Switzerland and Italy? They are far more scenic than NC.

For me, for lower 48 standards, FL has beauty above and below water(the below water is not seen by most people, hence they only see a flat pancake terrain with mixed shrubbery.)If you're a Floridian and have not seen that beauty, I don't know what to say. It's better than looking at mountain ranges(you're in a different world).

That's fine. But I'm not moving to Italy.

And I don't live at the bottom of the ocean either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida