Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:46 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times

Advertisements

Hello: We are moving to south Florida and looking over our options as to where. We have cut out Miami-Dade, and narrowed down to Broward/Palm Beach County.
Here are the requirements:
1. In an area with excellent middle/high schools. Not overcrowded! I called one of the schools in Pembroke and the admissions director pretty much said don't move here- the schools are far too overcrowded!
2. Within 45 minutes of FIU Law in Miami or Nova Law in Ft. Lauderdale.
3. Not a high crime rate- we found beautiful homes in Boynton Beach but the crime rate was pretty high (is it that bad?)!
4. 400-500K for a new or 2-3 year old home in community.
5. Area with things to do & not filled with retirement communities!

If you can recommend town and even development/subdivision it would be much appreciated! We've looked at Boca Raton and found nothing! Parkland, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Weston, Davie, Boynton Beach...there are so many + and - to these places...whats the opinions of anyone who lives down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 35,594 times
Florida is pretty strange with pockets of crime in a lot of places. Regarding Boynton Beach, I wouldn't buy there except for a couple of far west Boynton communities like Canyon Lakes or Equus. In the Broward area, Parkland is very nice. For Florida, the schools are highly rated. We lived in Parkland in the Heron Bay community and liked it. I understand there are a lot of real estate values in Heron Bay right now because of th market slowdown. Hope this help.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Hello: We are moving to south Florida and looking over our options as to where. We have cut out Miami-Dade, and narrowed down to Broward/Palm Beach County.
Here are the requirements:
1. In an area with excellent middle/high schools. Not overcrowded! I called one of the schools in Pembroke and the admissions director pretty much said don't move here- the schools are far too overcrowded!
2. Within 45 minutes of FIU Law in Miami or Nova Law in Ft. Lauderdale.
3. Not a high crime rate- we found beautiful homes in Boynton Beach but the crime rate was pretty high (is it that bad?)!
4. 400-500K for a new or 2-3 year old home in community.
5. Area with things to do & not filled with retirement communities!

If you can recommend town and even development/subdivision it would be much appreciated! We've looked at Boca Raton and found nothing! Parkland, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Weston, Davie, Boynton Beach...there are so many + and - to these places...whats the opinions of anyone who lives down there?
Within 45 minutes of Nova Law? Davie without question. Thats more like no commute. Go research Nova and Western High, and Indian Ridge Middle school, very good schools and NOT crowded. Western is actually bordering on underenrollment (at 2400 or so students) with its new science wing and has been on a solid path of improvement and has a high graduation rate (I believe it is 87 percent). Nova is one of Newsweeks top 100 high schools,and retains a reputation for excellence. Indian Ridge has been known to have one of the highest PTA participation rates in the entire country. Look at the police blotter on www.miamihearld.com (broken link), and most of the crime you will read about in Davie is occurring east of University Drive, and most of those crimes will be typical burglaries and property crimes that occur anywhere. Crime (of any kind) on the west half of any kind is surprisingly rare. Davie will have plenty of homes that you are looking for in that price range as well. The main drawback (well, to many anyway) to western Davie is probably it's slight "redneck" stigma, and there are quite a few trailer parks, although I wouldn't worry about the trailer parks (mostly working class people who are priced out but want a decent place to raise their children) or the rednecks (they are friendly down to earth people, the racial tension is gone). It's also close to FTL and Hollywood when you are looking for something to do on the weekends.

Definitely look into it, it will be a 5 minute commute to Nova. I see no better option thats a further distance. Feel free to PM me about specifics in the developments and school systems.

Well, I will list the pluses and drawbacks to the other communities, having went into the specifics about west Davie.

In Coral Springs, the pluses are very low crime rate (10th lowest in the country), nice clean appearance, nice restaurants and performing arts center in city limits,and affordability compared to surrounding towns.

The minuses are that the town is in a slow decline in every category from it's physical appearance to its school systems, and the schools have some inconsistencies. Look into the Coral Glades and Taravella innovation zones, they aren't too crowded and perform fairly well, although the latter seems to be on a decline.

In Weston the pluses are uncongested streets, best performing schools in the tri-county area, it's relatively new age in most areas,consistent low crime rate,affluence,some alright restaurants, and the general future outlook for the area (very, very stable)

The minuses are the overcrowding of those decent schools and in some cases drug problems (Cypress Bay High is pushing 5400 in enrollment, making it the largest in the country) and sometimes snobby element.

In Parkland, the pluses and minuses are very similar, although add a green, forested appearance to the pluses. Boring though.

Don't know who told you Boca has no minuses, it has a lot of traffic, homeless people begging for money on the main thoroughfares, and some of the schools are pretty mediocore, not to mention the area is aging and although the crime rate is relatively low, it's not particularly so. Still, you should have no problem finding a home in that price range, although Boca is mostly older both physically and demographically. Mizner Park is pretty cool now though, and there are a LOT of top end restaurants.

In Boynton Beach, the pluses are decent schools on the west half (I would say they are at a Davie level although not a Boca or Weston level, but you will hear about the minuses later), newness of everything.

The minuses are the fake, snobby people, overcrowding and drug issues in the schools,tons of retirement communities, wealth disparity between east and west Boynton,the gang and crime issues on the east half, and that disparity leads to a particularly high amount of property crime on the western half. I actually have a family member who experienced a burglary out there, if that means anything.

Coconut Creek has a low crime rate and OK schools on the northern half, but I would say it's not really worth looking into.

All and all it's just not worth a commute from any of those other communities to go to NSU because Davie probably has less drawbacks than any of those for your price range. You might as well live in what is probably the most well rounded community instead of commute from somewhere else that might be more upscale (Davie is more solid middle class), but doesn't really have anything else to offer for your family.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-14-2007 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Avoid Boynton Beach east of Jog, there are some nice areas be be prepared mayne communities are full of seniors and Boynton in general is full of seniors.

Boca is nice if your Jewish lot's of Temples around and a big Jewish population. Larger senior population, as well as a large New York/New Jersey population. Very seasonal, bad traffic on Glades.

Delray Beach west of Jog is nice as well, pockets of nicer areas are further east but very expensive. Then again large senior population as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:32 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I would encourage you to look at Weston. We have lived here for some years and are Nova alumni and adjuncts at the university. Feel free to pm me if I can be of further help.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 AM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
I have to say, try to stay closer to School instead of planning on driving 45 mins each way. Davie is certainly nice, I lived there for a couple of years and like it over all. It is also very central with easy access to all three counties via I-595, I-95, Sawgrass and Turnpike. The only issue will be finding 2 - 3 year old houses in your price range..... So you might to compromise on the age of the house.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 PM

29 posts, read 89,034 times
Broward County schools are general severly overcrowded. Boca Raton (city limits) is very nice. The town it self is very well run. As to someone suggesting that the Boca has a lot of elderly pleople is complete nonsense. I have lived here for the past 15 years. There are retirees everywhere in FL, and in Boca they live (along with a large jewish population) live mostly in Central and West Boca, which is really considered "greater Boca Raton". Most of those areas don't receive "City" services.

You're best off looking in the South Eastern part of Boca, (South of Glades Road) for example the Palm Beach Farms area (zipcode 33486). You'll get a much bigger lot with your house than elsewhere, It's pricey but lately leveling off. Home will be older but most are updated and in the end it's about the neighborhood and not the "house" You may find something in your price range. You'll be close to I-95 for your commute and close to downtown and the beach. The Elementary school is a "Blue Ribbon" School and Middle and High schools are A rated too. In fact Boca Raton and Jupiter are the only municipalities with good schools East of I-95 (meaning close to the Ocean) If you're considering Eastern Delray Beach or Boynton you'll end-up having to send your kids to private schools. We're moving out of state in the next year or so but have enjoyed it.

Last edited by FLRelo; 10-15-2007 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-15-2007, 04:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Thanks for all who responded. Yes, I know it is important for me to be near law school, but at the same time we have a middle schooler/almost high school daughter who will be attending public schools for the first time and my priority is to find the best schools for her.
We have stopped considering Boynton and Pembroke at this time. The homes in Boca Raton are too old for my husband.
I do not work and my husband just needs an airport for his job, so we are very flexible with the town, just good schools, reasonable distance from a law school, low crime and nice area. We have had no problem finding homes in our price range but have had a difficult time weighing all the pros and cons of the various neighborhoods.
I'm Jewish so I do not mind an overly Jewish presence as someone mentioned in Boca. I don't particularly want to be in a red neck area as someone mentioned in an earlier post (sorry hope thats not rude- just won't be able to relate). I am a foreigner and my husband from Boston
I found Heron Bay which is nice in Parkland but we don't particularly care for golf- but that does not really matter.
We have seen many homes reduced 50-100K and are thinking the right time to buy will be sometime in '08 but are still trying to narrow down the right neighborhood!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Thanks for all who responded. Yes, I know it is important for me to be near law school, but at the same time we have a middle schooler/almost high school daughter who will be attending public schools for the first time and my priority is to find the best schools for her.
We have stopped considering Boynton and Pembroke at this time. The homes in Boca Raton are too old for my husband.
I do not work and my husband just needs an airport for his job, so we are very flexible with the town, just good schools, reasonable distance from a law school, low crime and nice area. We have had no problem finding homes in our price range but have had a difficult time weighing all the pros and cons of the various neighborhoods.
I'm Jewish so I do not mind an overly Jewish presence as someone mentioned in Boca. I don't particularly want to be in a red neck area as someone mentioned in an earlier post (sorry hope thats not rude- just won't be able to relate). I am a foreigner and my husband from Boston
I found Heron Bay which is nice in Parkland but we don't particularly care for golf- but that does not really matter.
We have seen many homes reduced 50-100K and are thinking the right time to buy will be sometime in '08 but are still trying to narrow down the right neighborhood!
I am telling you, don't commute, look in Davie! No, there aren't many rednecks either, most of the people are transplants just like you. The rednecks just happen to be around here and there (unlike some surrounding towns).They exist is all I am saying. Schools aren't crowded and perform well, and you have no commute because NSU IS in Davie. Indian Ridge Middle has one of the highest PTA participation rates in the nation, and Western High is the safest school in Broward (well, according to a student survey the county runs, I will find the link later), and it borders on underenrollment. You seem to be resistant to living so close to your school for whatever reason.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Old homes and rednecks? If such an area still exists in south Florida I want to live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida