Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,008,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Yes. But Florida can propose it and along with GDOT and FHWA make it possible.
It would be an interstate. The feds would be involved. Don't think they would be interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

666 posts, read 1,293,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The reason there is no interstate/tollway from I-10 to Panama City is because US 231 is a major four lane highway with speed limits around 65 MPH that works just fine. It's the same reason there is not an interstate from Pensacola up to I-65... US 29 works just fine.

Interstates aren't constructed just for the hell of it.

...and the Florida Department of Transportation has absolutely zero jurisdiction over roads in Alabama and Georgia. It's pointless to even bring it up.
I know that. But interstates are actually funded by FHWA, not by the DOT's for what I know. Also... Is US 231 similar to a freeway? How many traffic lights are there between Dothan AL and Panama City FL? How long does it take to go from Tallahassee to Atlanta? More than from Lake City (should be definitely less)? How long does it take to go from Pensacola to Atlanta?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,428,324 times
Quote:
I know that. But interstates are actually funded by FHWA, not by the DOT's for what I know. Also... Is US 231 similar to a freeway? How many traffic lights are there between Dothan AL and Panama City FL? How long does it take to go from Tallahassee to Atlanta? More than from Lake City (should be definitely less)? How long does it take to go from Pensacola to Atlanta?
Interstates are funded by both the FHWA and state DOTs depending on the circumstance. Interstate 69, for example, is from both sections. That's why each state is constructing I-69 separately. Same thing with I-49 where Arkansas is having issues finding enough funding for construction south of Fort Smith through the Ouachitas.

US 231 is not a true limited-access freeway, but the speed limit is 65 and there is a very low amount of red lights considering the rural area.

According to Google Maps, it takes 4 hours and 28 minutes to get from Tallahassee to Atlanta, 4 hours and 12 minutes from Lake City. This is using a road that is more two-lane and zig-zags NE from Tallahassee to Thomasville and Tifton, then heads back NW on I-75. I've done both drives before... except I used US 19 from I-10 to Albany, then hit GA 300 N to I-75 which are major four lane roads. That wasn't actually that bad and was comparable, IMO, to I-75 south from Macon through Valdosta to Lake City.

According to Google Maps, it takes 4 hours and 56 minutes to get from Pensacola to Atlanta... although usually for me, it's over 5 hours.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,458,170 times
No, leave the state alone.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM

589 posts, read 851,842 times
Quote:
I don't know but I don't see why Florida keeps all that land if most of the money goes to the peninsula. Florida has a big coastline, while Alabama has... well... not too many beaches to choose from. Florida has good nice beaches along the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Naples, and also from Jax to Key West. Why keeping Panama City, Destin and Pensacola and not letting people from Alabama enjoy also some good variety instead of having to go to another state with different laws, or if they choose to stay in their state go all the way to Mobile?

Another question, why is there no interstate or at least tollway connection (like the FL's turnpike) that connects I-10 to Panama City? Why do people from Dothan, Alabama have to go trough rural highways to reach the beach?

It looks to me that FL government does not really care that much about the true panhandle. Then why keeping it?

Why? What do you have against Alabama? What did they ever do to you?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,907,572 times
The Panhandle doesn't have many freeway accesses because there's not a demand for it. Outside of tourist season/Spring Break, there's no need for it.

As for giving away part of a state, GA lawmakers demanded that Tennessee agree to redraw the borders between the two states so that Atlanta would have another water source, obviously the people of Tennessee said hell no.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM

13,685 posts, read 8,001,483 times
As an ex-Floridian and adoptive Alabamian, Florida can keep it.

Adding places like Pensacola, Destin, Seaside, Panama City, and the military bases would dramatically change Alabama, and not for the better. As a wise man once said, "Mo' money, mo' problems".

Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM

67 posts, read 135,405 times
Without a handle, the pan might fall right off and slide into the ocean!
Just kidding... I think that could be good for Alabama to have more beach, and that area never seemed very Florida-like to me, so sure... but... I'm a traditionalist. Florida would look funny. In the old days, sure, this country moved a bunch of lines around, but by now, they're pretty much set. Nobody's shoving Michigan's parts back together or giving its parts away, either. All set and done by now, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida