Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It really depends on your definition of "good" though, lol.. because I like both.

IMHO, Texas is not as good as Florida when it comes to beaches and tropical foliage and that's about it.
I really feel in love with the interstates in Houston, and I really like the Ft Bend county, and the woodland area the galleria, etc... The weather in Houston is like Orlando without the Rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I really feel in love with the interstates in Houston, and I really like the Ft Bend county, and the woodland area the galleria, etc... The weather in Houston is like Orlando without the Rain.
Yeah, I live near The Woodlands, you have pretty good tastes as Ft. Bend County has our largest median household income at $82,571, and The Woodlands (Montgomery County) is also near the top at $66,657.

The weather sucks from June-October, but the rest of the year it's beautiful!

My biggest loves here is the diversity, not just with people but with cultures, places to go, things to do, the economy, the pride that people have in living here, ect, ect..

Mostly though, is the cost of living!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
FL is way lower cost of living than CA - I can't see that changing. No state personal income tax. Housing here is dirt cheap. It depends on what you mean by "middle class". In FL that might mean owning a $200K house vs some others here who own multi-million dollar beach homes. Same thing exists in L.A. except an entry level house might be $500K in many areas, but you could find that $200K house in far outlying areas.

Based on climate, geography, society and culture I would pick CA over FL any day. But it's always going to be more expensive. If costs double here, they will more than double there for sure. Taxes are going up no matter where you go.

We moved to FL for work, and it's nice enough - my husband likes it more than I do. I've been to many areas of the US and given a choice to live anywhere I wanted, CA would be #2 on my list, with HI being #1... beyond that I would want to stay in the west coast, west or southwest.

location, location, location - where CAN you go with a growing middle class and low, low taxes?
It's all relative...South Florida is getting close to San Diego COL and in some locations it's above it... with exception no state income tax. People wave the no state income tax flag, but in reality the property taxes and homeowners insurance take care of that in an instant, that is if you buy a home though rents in general are quite high here, $1300/month for a 1 bedroom apartment.....not to mention salaries are much lower....my friend who moved to the SF Bay area say's that to me when I mentioned the income tax rate he is paying (which is nearly 10%)...he said though housing, gas and a few other things are higher...he felt South Florida was on a trend to price many out of it in due time based on average wages and lack of higher paying jobs and ones that can rationalize the relative high COL here.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Yeah, I live near The Woodlands, you have pretty good tastes as Ft. Bend County has our largest median household income at $82,571, and The Woodlands (Montgomery County) is also near the top at $66,657.

The weather sucks from June-October, but the rest of the year it's beautiful!

My biggest loves here is the diversity, not just with people but with cultures, places to go, things to do, the economy, the pride that people have in living here, ect, ect..

Mostly though, is the cost of living!
Besides Mexicans, Whites, and Blacks I didn't really see the diversity. That is considered the Norm Now a days. Yes, I knew Ft Bend was the wealthiest county in Texas. When I was there that's where I stayed, but it didn't feel very wealthy just middle class, but there were married couples in every single home so there are two incomes winch makes it seem so much higher. I Didn't really care for Texas until the recession happened I don't think many people did.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Besides Mexicans, Whites, and Blacks I didn't really see the diversity. That is considered the Norm Now a days. Yes, I knew Ft Bend was the wealthiest county in Texas. When I was there that's where I stayed, but it didn't feel very wealthy just middle class, but there were married couples in every single home so there are two incomes winch makes it seem so much higher. I Didn't really care for Texas until the recession happened I don't think many people did.
We have a pretty big Asian population as well, I believe Houston has one of the largest concentrations of Vietnamese people in the country.

I think many people decided to run here when when the economy crashed around the country, but at the same time, Texas was still the 2nd most populated state in the country, so obviously there is SOME reason to live here..

Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
We have a pretty big Asian population as well, I believe Houston has one of the largest concentrations of Vietnamese people in the country.

I think many people decided to run here when when the economy crashed around the country, but at the same time, Texas was still the 2nd most populated state in the country, so obviously there is SOME reason to live here..
Houston is like one of the most diverse cities in America. I recently read an article on that, I wish I could remember where I read it as I would reference it here, but I remeber being a bit surprised reading the article, like I knew Houston was relatively diverse, but the article claimed it's the most diverse city in America....even more so than LA.

Interesting really, considering texas is generally viewed as white men republicans and cowboy hats.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,187 times
Yes!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM

591 posts, read 821,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Houston is like one of the most diverse cities in America. I recently read an article on that, I wish I could remember where I read it as I would reference it here, but I remeber being a bit surprised reading the article, like I knew Houston was relatively diverse, but the article claimed it's the most diverse city in America....even more so than LA.

Interesting really, considering texas is generally viewed as white men republicans and cowboy hats.
Yes, Houston may be one of the most diverse cities in America, but how integrated is it?

That's the million dollar question.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it recently surpassed New York, at least that's what our mayor was on TV spouting not too long ago...

To answer ZonaZoo's question, Harris County (Houston) is roughly 32% white. Most wealthy whites in the area live in Katy or The Woodlands. There are some neighborhoods in South Houston and North Houston that are virtually all black, like Acres Homes or the University areas near U of H and Texas Southern, but other than those specific areas, it's a pretty good mix. I will say that most of the Asian population is in Bellaire, or on the West/Southwest side of the city.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
obviously there is SOME reason to live here..
Quote:
Yes, sadly Hollywood and the liberal media paints a different picture of everywhere, such as California being the land of opportunity and places like TX, FL, MS, AL, TN, ect, ect, as being full of rednecks.

I'd also like to add, following up on my quote, that even Dwight Howard declined an additional $30M from the Lakers to come to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida