Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I have family in NC, they live near Winston-Salem and they seem to like it real well. I think NJ is one of the worst in the country for property taxes, right?

I think another thing that most people don't bargain for when they relocate is the insane amounts for homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and vehicle registrations (for the first time)

Ultimately people need to live where ever they're happy. It's just laughable sometimes when people try to make Florida out to be something that it's clearly not.
Agreed..Now Auto Insurance in South Florida..Holy Cow that we were really shocked about and every 6 months our policy would renew it would go up what was up with that? well Geico told us because of all the Fraud and insurance claims someone had to pay for them, Mind you we have been in NC For almost a year, same insurance same insurance company and they havent raised our rates Once if anything we just got a decrease and my 18 yr is on our policy with a new car..and Yes NJ has some of the highest property taxes in the country..our property taxes were 12.5k when we left...I am in Charlotte again its the 2nd time around for us...Dont love it but it was a temporary move but at this point we will stay here for 4 years until our daughter graduates from HS...

We moved to NC from NJ and from NC to Florida...

Again we loved it there and if people can do it than great for them, and I wont bash it however I really think that they need to lure company's in and try to find the brightest people because I know there are some very smart hard working people that live there...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Agreed..Now Auto Insurance in South Florida..Holy Cow that we were really shocked about and every 6 months our policy would renew it would go up what was up with that? well Geico told us because of all the Fraud and insurance claims someone had to pay for them, Mind you we have been in NC For almost a year, same insurance same insurance company and they havent raised our rates Once if anything we just got a decrease and my 18 yr is on our policy with a new car..and Yes NJ has some of the highest property taxes in the country..our property taxes were 12.5k when we left...I am in Charlotte again its the 2nd time around for us...Dont love it but it was a temporary move but at this point we will stay here for 4 years until our daughter graduates from HS...

Again we loved it there and if people can do it than great for them, and I wont bash it however I really think that they need to lure company's in and try to find the brightest people because I know there are some very smart hard working people that live there...lol
Yeah, my insurance policy for two late model vehicles with full coverage in Tennessee was $78/mo. with Tennessee Farm Bureau. When I was considering relocation to either Florida or Texas back in 2009, I was quoted around $300/mo. for the Tampa area. I'm currently paying $170/mo. in Texas and I have Geico as well and every 6 months our policy goes down like $5-10 per month. My property taxes in Tennessee was $1,200 and my homeowners insurance was roughly $50/month.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
So after reading this thread, and my own 2 bad experiences, is it safe to say that Florida employers, in general, don't pay well?
They do not pay well typically because they do not have too...lack of competition to make wages competitive...no fear that employees will leave for companies down the street because often there is no other companies to go to.

Sunshine Tax or just the mentality of some small business owners, that's another thing people forget, Florida is a state of small businesses, South Florida in general will be all about small business, that's the future and salaries will never be enough for many.

Although this article is about the "Sunshine Tax" and San Diego, much of it relates well to Florida, at least the Southern part of the state from my experiences.

The sunshine tax: Just how much is it? | UTSanDiego.com

Some people do well here, it just depends a lot of luck, and what industry you are in....overall averages and people's experiences have been subpar compared to other areas...in my area if the COL was lower, it would a lot easier for people to make ends meet...save money and for the future, most live paycheck to paycheck due to high rents and some of my staff still live at home with their parents, just cannot afford the rents here.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post

Car insurance here is quite high here, I switch carriers often but have been with Geico a few years now. I shop around and do not find rates to be any less. I think much of it is based on the amount of fraud here and car theft, plus after 2004-2005 Hurricanes, the rates skyrocketed all over. Further making it a more expensive place to live.

It's dangerous to lower or drop your liability, most importantly uninsured motorists protection, because a lot of people are on the roads here without insurance. And since people like to sue here, even having lower liability limits in a no-fault state means squat, you can drive safe and have some idiot weaving in and out of traffic run into you and they get whiplash and sue you for injuries in the process.

The TV ads, billboards all cater to this crap...much of it is making lawyers rich and a lot of it is not justified.

I really like to see some hard numbers on South Florida car insurance rates, but they seem to only average the state on a whole..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida