Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 AM

Location: Nashville, TN - Willing to move where the jobs for my hubs are.
37 posts, read 43,818 times

Advertisements

Ok don't laugh at me for using Florida and jobs in the same sentence. I've read about the lack of jobs on this forum.

That is what inspired this post. To say there are no jobs is like my husband and daughter saying there's no food in the house because they can't just open the fridge and grab what they want.

I would like to get specific here and get some specific answers back.

Where if any where would be best to look for a job as an IT director, network administrator, or system administrator? Would it change your answer if I add the applicant has a masters in IT and will start his doctoate in IT in December? He also has several certifications.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,910,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnthrgal View Post
Ok don't laugh at me for using Florida and jobs in the same sentence. I've read about the lack of jobs on this forum.

That is what inspired this post. To say there are no jobs is like my husband and daughter saying there's no food in the house because they can't just open the fridge and grab what they want.

Where if any where would be best to look for a job as an IT director, network administrator, or system administrator? Would it change your answer if I add the applicant has a masters in IT and will start his doctoate in IT in December? He also has several certifications.

One of my good friends moved to St. Petersburg from Nashville earlier this year, he's also in IT, and he seems to be doing fairly well. If you have a specialized field, like IT, Engineering, Medical, ect, ect, then you can find a job, it just won't pay as well as it would in other places and you have to deal with a competitive field of applicants.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:55 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,530,189 times
Quote:

For the IT jobs mentioned above, you will find a job and the pay will be equivalent to most other states. You are better off looking near one of the larger metro areas. But this general rule applies in most other states as well. i'm in IT and never have problems finding high paying(6 figure) jobs in FL.

Stick to within 50 miles of these metro areas for the most opportunities: Jacksonville, Tampa/St Pete, Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale. There are some opportinities near other smaller cities but much lower volume of jobs and the pay is usually a bit lower than near the big cities.

Expect some comments on this board to be saying the pay is low and there are no jobs. This might be true for some professions, but there are well paying jobs in FL for people with IT/Comp Science degrees/experience. The more experience you have the better qualified you are to meet all the requirements of the position. As with any IT position, you will see each job ad usually has very detailed technical requirements.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,105,865 times
As mentioned prior cities like Jacksonville, Gainesville and Tampa/St Pete seem to be recovering best in terms of decent levels of available jobs coupled with a proportionate cost of living...which is something to strongly consider when moving here. Cities such as Miami, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale have issue with salary level versus cost of living, particularly if renting.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,603,860 times
A lot of IT is being outsourced to India, a few of my clients outsourced IT in a cost cutting measure, some use contractors...it might even be good to look at contracting as a alternative to working for someone else in this day and age. There is also a lot of competition here for what little jobs might be available.

The job market is not what it was here, has not fully recovered and what a lot of people forget is the population increased in the last 10 years, at least in South Florida so not only is it hard to find work, the competition for what's available is quite stiff. Even people with specialized degrees and experience are having a hard time. Also there is not a huge plethora of big companies that have a big upper management spread of titles, many if not most are small companies and tend to make people wear more hats for the same low pay...that is you can be IT and also a Sales Manager or an CPA and Marketing Liason...

Lastly, salary...this will often be the #1 reason why working here for some is not a cost benefit...again it depends on your budget, what you desire and what your standards are for housing. You can live here on less, you just may not have all the things you want or desire in the process because your working for less than the median income in you field.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,408,399 times
South Florida is not known for IT Director level or Above Unless one is in Health Care there are many job openings in this field...My husband was in IT/Operations up until recently in the Management Consulting Arena and has been on wall st etc, with that He made a very nice Living when we lived in South Florida, However he always kept his options open and No one with his 24 years Management Experience was offering him a high 6 figure job and what he was currently earning because they were very difficult to find, Again unless he was in Health Care industry which he is not...His Friends who are IT Directors in South Florida and people he networks with are still looking for work and getting offers for mainly Consulting and the hourly rate is quiet pitiful for someone who does what they do..Yes they are out there but the cost of living in South Florida does not warrant what these people will earn..I don't know about the rest of Florida since we weren't interested in living anywhere else but South Florida at the time....He now is in a great position and furthering his Career as we had to leave S Florida but we do miss it
IT is a hard one...Alot of competition....

Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Lastly, salary...this will often be the #1 reason why working here for some is not a cost benefit...again it depends on your budget, what you desire and what your standards are for housing. You can live here on less, you just may not have all the things you want or desire in the process because your working for less than the median income in you field.
My friend from Nashville took an $8k/yr pay cut. He relocated because his wife wanted to live near the beach.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:54 PM

Location: Nashville, TN - Willing to move where the jobs for my hubs are.
37 posts, read 43,818 times
TXRyan,

You say he took an $8k/yr pay cut. However, that could be terrible or it could be ok depending on where he started. I don't need specifics but was he making more than $100,000 in Nashville, more than $80,000, or less than $50,000. Need a little perspective.

Also, if those of you responding could give me an idea of some major businesses in the area from as far North as Flagler to as far South as New Smyrna Beach. I am looking for places that have a semi large technology need. Working on Operation Florida. =O)

Old 07-06-2013, 03:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,530,189 times
Quote:

Also, if those of you responding could give me an idea of some major businesses in the area from as far North as Flagler to as far South as New Smyrna Beach.

IMO, the area you picked might limit your choices of employers. Not close enough to the major cities unless you want a long commute to JAX. It's way to far to commute to S FL. Not sure what is in Gainsville or if that commute is doable.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
TXRyan,

You say he took an $8k/yr pay cut. However, that could be terrible or it could be ok depending on where he started. I don't need specifics but was he making more than $100,000 in Nashville, more than $80,000, or less than $50,000. Need a little perspective.

Also, if those of you responding could give me an idea of some major businesses in the area from as far North as Flagler to as far South as New Smyrna Beach. I am looking for places that have a semi large technology need. Working on Operation Florida. =O)
I'm not 100% sure on his finances, as I don't ask those questions, but I'm fairly sure that he mentioned the other day that he made around $65k in Tennessee, so I don't know, but if it were an $8k drop to someone making $30k, imho, it would be pretty significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida