Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM

291 posts, read 506,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UCF is charging more than UF for the same masters degree?
About twice as much from what I remember. I was pretty shocked too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
UCF is a glorified community college whereas UF is a nationally-ranked university. UF is older and more prestigious than UCF, and it has much more name recognition. As an aside, UCF is virtually unheard of outside of Florida. By all means, go to UF.

Last August, I transferred to the U of A and moved to Tucson sight unseen. I had never even visited Arizona before coming out here, let alone my campus or apartment complex. Honestly, it turned out to be the best decision of my life. I didn't know a single soul in AZ before coming out here, and I've made a ton of friends here in the past year. However, making friends in Arizona is much easier than in Florida, at least IMO.

Don't worry about not knowing anyone in Gainesville--that should be the least of your concerns, as your future is much more important. I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends while in graduate school, especially if you're friendly and outgoing like me. UF is much less of a commuter school than UCF, so it will be easier to make friends, generally speaking. However, rankings, name recognition, prestige, and career placement are much more important than making friends. Just remember that.

By the way, what type of graduate degree do you intend to earn?
UCF isnt really as bad as people make it out to be. It's a relatively new school and they've come a long way. I don't regret choosing UCF for my undergrad, I felt like it was worth it and if given the choice to choose again, I'd honestly still choose UCF.

I'm going for a Masters in Healthcare Administration. They said any major can apply, but I'm hoping my undergrad in Health Services Administration will help a little when it comes to the admission process.

Hopefully 2 months of prepping for the GRE will be enough to earn a somewhat decent score!

And yeah, I made a ton of friends in Orlando and didn't know anyone when I moved down here either, I think I should be fine! Thanks!!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
UCF is a glorified community college whereas UF is a nationally-ranked university. UF is older and more prestigious than UCF, and it has much more name recognition. As an aside, UCF is virtually unheard of outside of Florida. By all means, go to UF.

Last August, I transferred to the U of A and moved to Tucson sight unseen. I had never even visited Arizona before coming out here, let alone my campus or apartment complex. Honestly, it turned out to be the best decision of my life. I didn't know a single soul in AZ before coming out here, and I've made a ton of friends here in the past year. However, making friends in Arizona is much easier than in Florida, at least IMO.

Don't worry about not knowing anyone in Gainesville--that should be the least of your concerns, as your future is much more important. I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends while in graduate school, especially if you're friendly and outgoing like me. UF is much less of a commuter school than UCF, so it will be easier to make friends, generally speaking. However, rankings, name recognition, prestige, and career placement are much more important than making friends. Just remember that.

By the way, what type of graduate degree do you intend to earn?
Outside of Florida....none of the schools really stand out...or have much notoriety....but with the major brain drain in South Florida, getting a job out of state is not too hard.

UF is a nationally ranked party school.....

Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Outside of Florida....none of the schools really stand out...or have much notoriety....but with the major brain drain in South Florida, getting a job out of state is not too hard.

UF is a nationally ranked party school.....
UF is an AAU memebee and top 20 public. If people are aware of academics they will know UF and Miami.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Quote:
Do not fall for the 100% job placement marketing ploy, research the career opportunities and in some instances many of those won't be in Florida.

I thought the same thing....I'm sure a lot of those people are not in Florida. UF is a great school though

To the OP-it may not be any of our business but why are you directly going for your graduate degree?

Just curious...

Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I thought the same thing....I'm sure a lot of those people are not in Florida. UF is a great school though

To the OP-it may not be any of our business but why are you directly going for your graduate degree?

Just curious...

Probably because there aren't any jobs in Health Care Administration without an advanced degree. Kind of like not having an MBA for Business Management.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

Just curious...
Basically what Kyle said. Any job you can get with a Bachelors in this major is usually not worth it. I'm hoping that a Masters will open more doors for me. That, and I'm not really tired of school yet.

I could apply for admin-in-training positions at nursing homes with a Bachelors and earn about 35k/yr and probably double that once I finish the program (usually 2 yrs) and get an "official" ED position, but nursing homes aren't my ideal work location. Might as well get a graduate degree while I'm focused and motivated. I plan on moving up north if there's better opportunities out there, but that might depend on my situation in 2 years (personal life).. although I would probably drop anything and everything for my career.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
I plan on moving up north if there's better opportunities out there, but that might depend on my situation in 2 years (personal life).. although I would probably drop anything and everything for my career.
You might consider that for school too. A degree from UNC, UAB, VCU, Iowa, Michigan or Ohio State (Top 10 Healthcare Administration graduate programs) would provide a good springboard into better positions in hospitals versus the lower pay geriatric/long term care route you'll face in Florida no doubt.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UF is an AAU memebee and top 20 public. If people are aware of academics they will know UF and Miami.
Depends though if your looking at a job and the Hiring Manager is biased to his or her own Alma Mater or specific ones based on previous experience with prior candidates or colleagues.

Me being a Hiring Manager, I would give preference to candidates who attended schools outside of Florida based on the quality I have experienced so far with interns and some full-timers I brought aboard, but we do not relocate so I have to work with what I got...all are not too bad and are somewhat teachable but severely lacking a lot of core skills that I have seen common in Graduates from elsewhere.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Depends though if your looking at a job and the Hiring Manager is biased to his or her own Alma Mater or specific ones based on previous experience with prior candidates or colleagues.

Me being a Hiring Manager, I would give preference to candidates who attended schools outside of Florida based on the quality I have experienced so far with interns and some full-timers I brought aboard, but we do not relocate so I have to work with what I got...all are not too bad and are somewhat teachable but severely lacking a lot of core skills that I have seen common in Graduates from elsewhere.
Not to get off track, but I too have noticed that. Do you see it as a lack of sophistication and people skills, or other traits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida