Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM

54 posts, read 125,330 times

Advertisements

How much does the Destin area "close up" in the winter. I'm looking to spend a couple of months there this winter, but don't want to find myself in a ghost town! Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Destin proper is pretty year round these days. The snow birds move in after Christmas, and don't really mind the odd cold winter day because their rent is a lot cheaper than it would be snowbirding further south. It's a little quieter east of the outlet mall, but that area's permanent population is also growing steadily these days. There are a few businesses that close for the winter and many more small ones who will close for 2-3 weeks at some point so the owners can vacation or touch up the place, and many small businesses will have reduced hours compared to summer.

But it's also the time of the year when the locals come out to play and take advantage of relative peace & quiet.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks beach mouse. I saw a nice rental in the destin harbor area. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
It's generally a pretty nice area. I'd never buy there because of hurricane concerns, but renting in the Holiday Isle area (unofficial name for the peninsula south of the harbor proper) would be a pretty pleasant place to spend a winter.

I will note that the NW part of Destin- think behind McGuire's- can be a little bit hit or miss. It's not big city bad or anything, but Destin does have its share of poor people living in decaying small trailer courts ans 1920s cement block housing around there if you know where to look.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Thank you. Trying to decide between destin harbor and ponte Vedra beach south east of jacksonville. Any familiarity?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM

44 posts, read 215,376 times
If you prefer to not live directly in Destin, I'd check out Niceville! It's about 20 minutes north of Destin, but a lovely residential/suburban area in my opinion.

When it comes to Destin vs Ponte Vedra/Jax area... I personally would go with Destin. You can't beat the Gulf Coast waters and sunsets. There's a reason why Destin is called the "Emerald Coast" and also a reason why 30A has become a little sticker that you see everywhere!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Some places, like some seaside restaurants shut down, but not many. Have to cater to the snowbirds

Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Niceville sounds great, but I'd like to be closer to the water. I've found a couple of rental options...sandpiper cove near the harbor has 2 units in my price range, and also there's a place on okaloosa island. Not being familiar, whaddya think?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM

44 posts, read 215,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow man View Post
Niceville sounds great, but I'd like to be closer to the water. I've found a couple of rental options...sandpiper cove near the harbor has 2 units in my price range, and also there's a place on okaloosa island. Not being familiar, whaddya think?
Whenever I visit the area, I always stay in Niceville with a friend who lives there, and then we drive to the beaches around Destin, so I can't say I have familiarity with the specifics of each community. I do know that Okaloosa Island is a part of Fort Walton Beach, right next to Destin.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine with anywhere along the Gulf Coast. Warm pretty water, beautiful sunsets, dolphins, etc. Destin is popular with tourists, but not nearly as bad as South Florida communities. And as far as panhandle locations go, Destin is only about an hour away from Pensacola and about two or three hours away from both Mobile, AL and Tallahassee, FL. Tallahassee could be a fun weekend getaway to see a FSU football game or something. I love the Panhandle/Big Bend area of FL!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks tristate...it all sounds good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida