Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Holy Jeebus, vaughan, my conspiracy theory meter just pinned all the way over! Interesting that Mosaic's "ad campaign" seems to have coincided with Barron's move to the company, or maybe that's just my perception.

I couldn't believe that story on Mosaic pumping out the aquifer, made me angry. All I could think of was that poor SOB who was buried alive due to the sinkhole at his home in Seffner. Big Ag's day of reckoning will come.
You know, how would these tards like to get done by an auto mechanic or medical professional, the way they do the public?

"yes'm Ms. Sock Puppet, your brakes are fixed!" "Yessir, Mr. CEO, yer all clear, no signs of cancer anywhere!" "Yep, Senator, yer prostate's in great shape!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Enough blame to go around for decline of Florida

My apologies for posting something behind a pay wall most people in this forum probably don't pay for, but I still have to cite it.

This just got a whole lot more interesting... If the fact it is our water and we have rights to it as well wasn't enough...

Basically this article discusses the same research Florida is using to fuel the lawsuit blaming Atlanta and Georgia being the cause for a low oyster population.

As it turns out the study extensively blamed Florida for:

-Lack of regulation
-over fishing
-poaching
-lack of enforcement
-increasing the fishing season
-allowing nearly double the number of oyster fishers to come into the bay

Georgia often uses Atlanta as a scapegoat too...

The main theme of the story goes back to the BP oil leak in the Gulf. That bay was the western most one still open to fishing. This caused some enterprising fishers to move in to continue fishing oysters. It also meant that prices spiked the fishers did better than normal. Florida helped them. They increased the fishing season and allowed more fishers in and fishers likely made an above average profit for the year.

This also occurred in the middle of the drought. No wonder the oyster population is low. Blame Florida's Governor, not us.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Enough blame to go around for decline of Florida

My apologies for posting something behind a pay wall most people in this forum probably don't pay for, but I still have to cite it.

This just got a whole lot more interesting... If the fact it is our water and we have rights to it as well wasn't enough...

Basically this article discusses the same research Florida is using to fuel the lawsuit blaming Atlanta and Georgia being the cause for a low oyster population.

As it turns out the study extensively blamed Florida for:

-Lack of regulation
-over fishing
-poaching
-lack of enforcement
-increasing the fishing season
-allowing nearly double the number of oyster fishers to come into the bay

Georgia often uses Atlanta as a scapegoat too...

The main theme of the story goes back to the BP oil leak in the Gulf. That bay was the western most one still open to fishing. This caused some enterprising fishers to move in to continue fishing oysters. It also meant that prices spiked the fishers did better than normal. Florida helped them. They increased the fishing season and allowed more fishers in and fishers likely made an above average profit for the year.

This also occurred in the middle of the drought. No wonder the oyster population is low. Blame Florida's Governor, not us.
Thank you, THANK YOU, kimbro! I never did blame Georgia, in fact I felt that something about this whole issue stunk like 10 day old fish, er, uh, oysters. It IS Georgia's water, and now Florida is trying to pin the blame on Georgia for a situation created by the state at upper levels. And I just KNEW it had something to do with the BP spill, I wasn't sure how, but I had a feeling.

Again, thank you for your excellent research!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Although I'm a Floridian, it really grinds me, too. When the issue first came up a few years ago, I contacted the office of the governor at that time, Charlie Crist. I had seen the images on the news of Lake Lanier with the dry docks and the water levels seriously low and other effects of drought in Georgia. I couldn't believe my state would kick a neighbor when it was down. My point of view was the same then as it is now: you work things out with your neighbor, because you never know when you'll need their help in the future.

Florida's got some nerve lecturing Georgia on "poor water conservation practices", what with all the over development and over population here and sinkholes caused by our agriculture industry pumping out the aquifer during the dry months. Florida has a wealth of freshwater springs and rivers in the upper half of the state and it gets a lot of rainfall. If anything Florida should be sending water to Georgia in its times of need. Suing Georgia over what by rights belongs to that state is the height of hypocrisy and insanity.
And not to mention the millions of gallons of water daily that the Army Corps of Engineers is pumping out of Lake Okeechobee in lieu of maintaining/repairing the levee around the lake. Millions of gallons of brown muddy water flowing down the Caloosahatchee and St. Lucie rivers, water that's wreaking havoc on the ecosystems in these estuaries on both the east and west coasts of the state. And they inform us it's not about to stop anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida