Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have to agree with everything you've said. We lived in Miami for 35+ years, and my last job took me to most of the southeast coast, so I can verify your comments about the high COL in those counties, and agree that the salaries most often don't match that COL. And unfortunately that mentality of instant gratification with the latest and greatest "must have" is just as rampant among the folks in that location as it looks to be all over the country, and no, the system won't sustain the combination ad infinitum.

I'm just wondering if the folks you speak of who just figure they'll move to "paradise" (south Florida or wherever it may be) and somehow everything they dream of or want will come to them, with little or no effort on their part isn't part of that entitlement attitude, and that lack of work and planning will get them in trouble anywhere they go.

We moved to the southwest coast of FL and find the COL less in this area, but the salaries, I believe, are even lower than they in south Florida- although depending on the job, not so much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd discourage anyone looking to move to this area ( or anywhere,,actually) without a game plan and a firm job offer, as the jobs do tend to be minimum wage, or even if they aren't, they're dependent on the snowbird season- even in healthcare.
A lot of people move here with stars in their eyes, I have seen it so many times. They talk big, then get here and after the magic wears out they are often negative, disgusted and/or broken down. Things did not go as planned, the job didn't materialize or last long enough to get any firm roots into the ground.

Many think they can work for less and live on a lower salary because there is no state income tax and soon find out that they cannot make ends meet. Fact is I have met and know a lot of people who have an education, skill set or trades ability who are working in sectors here or not working, that would be better off elsewhere. Some got degrees in worthless fields and are waiting tables, that is fields that are not in demand since the downturn or changing fabric of society. There is no guarantees for a lot of degrees, but moving to Florida without doing your homework is a big mistake many end up making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Take your blinders off. The entire U.S. is in the same boat and has been.

Income is stagnant EVERYWHERE. If you are having a tough go at it South FL, maybe you should broaden your horizons some.

American Incomes: Stagnant » FITSNews

U.S. Incomes Seen Stagnant Through 2021 - WSJ.com

American middle class income stagnant for >25 years

Not "EVERYWHERE", there are better places for income growth than Florida, maybe not places a lot of people would want to live...Not having a "Rough time in South FL" but thanks for the concern...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/h...eir-income.ece

Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
1981 sounds right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
But not for all;

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...lity.html?_r=0

1981 was the beginning of the strangulation of the middle class.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Not "EVERYWHERE", there are better places for income growth than Florida, maybe not places a lot of people would want to live...Not having a "Rough time in South FL" but thanks for the concern...

Texas gains people
Nd is fantastic if all you can get is an entry level job

America's Boomtown: North Dakota housing crunch - Oct. 21, 2011

Oil patch Walmart paying $17/hour in North Dakota | Say Anything

Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The 17 an hour for a job at WM may sound good, but the problem with ND is the high cost of housing and basically, the entire lack of housing. A lot of people moved to SD because they could no longer afford their rent once people started moving in by the droves for the high paying jobs on the oil patches.

Some owners fared well and sold their houses for an astronomical price and moved on. There was a point that even the campgrounds were full and people would park in pastures/fields, have no heat or hookups, etc. I don't know if you are familiar with a North Dakota winter, but they're brutal and can be deadly.

Most of the businesses are paying at least 15 an hour and there are still job openings in ND. Yet it's not an area of the country that's for everyone. Personally, I'm cold enough without looking at ND even though their jobs are high paying and ample.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The 17 an hour for a job at WM may sound good, but the problem with ND is the high cost of housing and basically, the entire lack of housing. A lot of people moved to SD because they could no longer afford their rent once people started moving in by the droves for the high paying jobs on the oil patches.

Some owners fared well and sold their houses for an astronomical price and moved on. There was a point that even the campgrounds were full and people would park in pastures/fields, have no heat or hookups, etc. I don't know if you are familiar with a North Dakota winter, but they're brutal and can be deadly.

Most of the businesses are paying at least 15 an hour and there are still job openings in ND. Yet it's not an area of the country that's for everyone. Personally, I'm cold enough without looking at ND even though their jobs are high paying and ample.
Yup. Still it's an option if you have no skills

Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup. Still it's an option if you have no skills
I totally agree with you. If I would be young and unemployed, I'd have headed up there a couple years ago. I doubt many educated people have the income people are getting up there.

The 17 an hr. at WM is a drop in the bucket compared to what they're paying on the oil patches. I know a couple who headed up that way a few months ago. They're both around my age and figure if they can continue working there until they hit medicare age, they'll be set for life. He's an electrician who will be starting in the three figures and she'll be doing part time bookwork starting at 40,000 per year. There was no place for them to rent or buy so another apt. complex was built. Problem is that their rent will be 2000 a mo, but with those kind of wages, I guess that's not awful.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I totally agree with you. If I would be young and unemployed, I'd have headed up there a couple years ago. I doubt many educated people have the income people are getting up there.

The 17 an hr. at WM is a drop in the bucket compared to what they're paying on the oil patches. I know a couple who headed up that way a few months ago. They're both around my age and figure if they can continue working there until they hit medicare age, they'll be set for life. He's an electrician who will be starting in the three figures and she'll be doing part time bookwork starting at 40,000 per year. There was no place for them to rent or buy so another apt. complex was built. Problem is that their rent will be 2000 a mo, but with those kind of wages, I guess that's not awful.
$2,000! That's crazy. I didn't know people were willing to pay so much money to live in such a cold place. I guess it's a case of supply and demand.

I think it's aweful. But then again I live in Saunaflorida and I don't even care for the beach so maybe I should STHU.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
$2,000! That's crazy. I didn't know people were willing to pay so much money to live in such a cold place. I guess it's a case of supply and demand.

I think it's aweful. But then again I live in Saunaflorida and I don't even care for the beach so maybe I should STHU.
$2K isn't bad when you consider the bottom of the barrel worker is making $17/hour.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
The main problem with Florida's economy is it's centered around Tourism, which is what the bulk of the jobs are. Tourism jobs do not pay much.

But on the other hand we have no income tax, and lower taxes and COL in general than most other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida