Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,772 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can someone please give me information on Ft Walton Beach. We plan on relocating there and most of the threads are from 2006. I need updated information from some one who knows the area well.
If anyone can help, please tell me the low crime, more upscale area. Is it a good city to settle down?
We are looking for a BIG little city, that has personality, but quiet just outside of town. We will have to rent also, so any good rentals would be helpful. We plan on moving within the next few months. We have been to Panama City Beach, nice but high crime. Any information will be much appreciated. Also Navarre seems nice to.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
What's your housing budget? The area near the coast tends to be a little to significantly more expensive than it seems like it should be because of land shortage issues and the Air force propping up rental costs.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:39 AM

Hello Beachmouse
We live in the greater Tampa area, and would like a lot to do, but quieter. The beaches here are packed daily and no parking. We are looking to pay no more than 800 for any rental, we like town houses and have a dog. Can you please tell us about the general area of FWB? We still have many years to work and was wondering how jobs are there also, Veterinarian office work/copier tech jobs. It would be fine to be 5 miles from the beach, quiet and safe area. How is crime in general. We drove to panama city beach, liked it, but not the city itself. How is the Kenwood area. We are looking for a clean, decent area to eventually buy our last home and settle down. Please tell us where to look. Are the people nice with southern hospitality? here they are rude and high crime. Oh how are wages opposed to the Tampa area. A lot of questions I know and we so appreciate all your help already,

Old 11-09-2013, 05:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
$800 a month is a 2 bedroom townhouse in a reasonably safe but not awe-inspiring neighborhood in Ft. Walton Beach, and you'll probably have to do some negotiating about pets. Kenwood is nice but mostly single family and probably out of your price range.

Emerald Coast Homes Online has a decent number of listings-

EmeraldCoastHomesOnline.com

Safe neighborhoods can vary by subdivision and even street by street in the area. You'll get crack ghetto backing up to a respectable middle class area with only a good-sized greenbelt separating the two. I'm not certain about vet tech openings in the area though we certainly have a decent number of vet clinics around. Office jobs can be very hard to get around here unless you've got military connections (don't supposed your spouse is a veteran- it really helps) and preferably with a recent security clearance. Wages are probably pretty similar to what you get in Tampa.

Crime in general- not bad for the most part as long as you keep doors locked and don't actively look for trouble.

The locals- generally pretty nice. I will note it's the least Southern part of the panhandle. Ft. Walton Beach effectively didn't exist until the Department of War set up bases in the area during World War 2. Destin to PCB is a popular vacation destination for affluent Southerners who often have a bit of an attitude, but they're easy enough to work around even during peak tourist season. Just smile a little and remember they've got to go back to Dothan on Saturday, and they're more tolerable.

Beach access- generally easy to find a quiet spot, even during peak tourism holiday weekends, if you know where to look.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Hello Beachmouse,
Can you please tell me the neighborhoods with the lowest crime.we are not fond of deed restricted areas or HOA'S. About 5 miles from the beach. Do you know if there is more than one home owners ins company, or if Citizens is the only one in all of Florida. My husband is concerned that he may not have much to do up there, as he goes to the F1 races and busch gardens ect. Clearwater is a nice but way to busy city and takes quiet awhile to even get to the beach. Overcrowded. Is it like that there? Do you have to pay for parking? We have looked at Niceville, but to far. Were Key west type of people. except we do not party. Please help any way you can. I looked up Emerald homes. Thank you for the info so far. Will be making a trip in Jan. You have been a great help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida