Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM

3,985 posts, read 8,236,628 times

Advertisements

Article in the Orlando paper caught my eye this morning and brought back memories of writing home 36 years ago telling my mom.....ya need 3 hands to live down here.....1 for the sun tan lotion, 1 for the bug spray, 1 for the hoe to kill the rattle snakes.

Bizarre causes of death are common in Florida - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM

652 posts, read 1,660,365 times
Like the article says at the end you are more likely to be killed driving to the beach than have one of these freaky deaths.

I chose Florida because I love it here.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,646,230 times
Bizarre deaths in a bizarre state, but I'm sure it happens everywhere.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,982,856 times
Here we go again. Denying the history and uniqueness of Florida. Trying to make it something "else".

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,401,919 times
ha! I love this state.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Here we go again. Denying the history and uniqueness of Florida. Trying to make it something "else".
Whoa was that directed at me? I just thought it was interesting that people always come on here asking about our creatures etc, and there it was in the paper this morning. I thought it was a pretty good article sort of playing with the fear, but stating things can happen anywhere you live. I personally pretty much - love everything there is in Florida but I do have to wonder why I live here sometimes and actually almost moved in 2004.

I mean I don't think many of my family or friends up North have ever had hurricane damage(4 times now). I doubt many have had an arsonist setting fires in their neighborhood that literally caught the town on fire.
( It was very scary especially when a police officer told us " do what you can to save things; but be ready to run cause there ain't no fire trucks coming!" Most of the trucks were fighting fires at Bayside high area and trying to get the kids to safety.) We've had flood damage, had a friend almost lose a foot from a brown recluse bite, a friend almost lose his arm from a rattle snake bite, had a friend's child die from the amoeba in the lake water before most people ever heard of it(1980)s, I don't think anyone else in my family has had a mass murder at their grocery store or had one of their students be arrested and convicted for murder. I doubt whether any of them ever saw an elephant go wild in a parking lot and have to be shot while people were riding it when they took their kids to the circus in town. They probably haven't had a friend total a mercedes the week he bought it because they hit a gator crossing the interstate or seen a rocket explode and be warned to stay inside until the cloud disipates for your own protection knowing their son was surfing closer to KSC than you were. I could mention the lightning damage, the huge black snake on the fence that sprang off it towards me, the shark that bit the kid going out next to my son, the big frog that came up through the toilet and was hopping around the house with my husband chasing it with a broom one night till it jumped back in and swam down again. And if I sat here thinking back over the years, I could probably think of more things to wonder about why I still love it here.

Of course I know they have other perils up North, but just doesn't seem like as many. Besides for 28 years I lived with a few of those perils helping me decide it was time to come down to my paradise.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,125,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Whoa was that directed at me? I just thought it was interesting that people always come on here asking about our creatures etc, and there it was in the paper this morning. I thought it was a pretty good article sort of playing with the fear, but stating things can happen anywhere you live. I personally pretty much - love everything there is in Florida but I do have to wonder why I live here sometimes and actually almost moved in 2004.

I mean I don't think many of my family or friends up North have ever had hurricane damage(4 times now). I doubt many have had an arsonist setting fires in their neighborhood that literally caught the town on fire.
( It was very scary especially when a police officer told us " do what you can to save things; but be ready to run cause there ain't no fire trucks coming!" Most of the trucks were fighting fires at Bayside high area and trying to get the kids to safety.) We've had flood damage, had a friend almost lose a foot from a brown recluse bite, a friend almost lose his arm from a rattle snake bite, had a friend's child die from the amoeba in the lake water before most people ever heard of it(1980)s, I don't think anyone else in my family has had a mass murder at their grocery store or had one of their students be arrested and convicted for murder. I doubt whether any of them ever saw an elephant go wild in a parking lot and have to be shot while people were riding it when they took their kids to the circus in town. They probably haven't had a friend total a mercedes the week he bought it because they hit a gator crossing the interstate or seen a rocket explode and be warned to stay inside until the cloud disipates for your own protection knowing their son was surfing closer to KSC than you were. I could mention the lightning damage, the huge black snake on the fence that sprang off it towards me, the shark that bit the kid going out next to my son, the big frog that came up through the toilet and was hopping around the house with my husband chasing it with a broom one night till it jumped back in and swam down again. And if I sat here thinking back over the years, I could probably think of more things to wonder about why I still love it here.

Of course I know they have other perils up North, but just doesn't seem like as many. Besides for 28 years I lived with a few of those perils helping me decide it was time to come down to my paradise.
did all those things really happen to you? if so your really unlucky.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
did all those things really happen to you? if so your really unlucky.

Yep over the 36 years I have lived in Florida. But this is still home and we are happy here. Lots of good things happen too.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 AM

7,745 posts, read 12,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Having bizarre deaths and a huge proportion of mentally unstable individuals running around the state is not something we should be proud of.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Having bizarre deaths and a huge proportion of mentally unstable individuals running around the state is not something we should be proud of.
Probably not a whole lot different than most states....you just don't hear about them in the national news as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida