Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
"NewYawker" has too many letters for a Florida vanity plate. You're only allowed seven.

Florida License Plate

You will be able to find a New Yawker driving as they are usually the one with the middle finger sticking up and not stopping at stop signs.

* Just a joke folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, it was not a sticker. It was a Florida plate which spelled out Raleigh. My husband's Florida plate spells out NewYawker. You can get special letters and/or numbers on your plate, if they are not already taken by someone else. Yes, you pay extra money for that, the same as you do for the vanity plates.

You have a FL plate that spells "NewYawker?"

Old 02-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I think people should see things from BOTH points of view. On the one hand, you have a bunch of people that want to move to "paradise" and get a slice of the pie, but on the other you have natives who have watched FL turn into basically a sideshow for the nation. FL is too far gone to save at this point and its only going to get worse as more people flood into the state; this I know, but what gets me is Northerners want to come to FL for sun, to get away from taxes and enjoy a relaxed way of life, so whats the point in trying to turn florida into another concrete jungle?

It makes me nervous too. Which is why although I love my home state, I'm not convinced I'll stay forever.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I think people should see things from BOTH points of view. On the one hand, you have a bunch of people that want to move to "paradise" and get a slice of the pie, but on the other you have natives who have watched FL turn into basically a sideshow for the nation. FL is too far gone to save at this point and its only going to get worse as more people flood into the state; this I know, but what gets me is Northerners want to come to FL for sun, to get away from taxes and enjoy a relaxed way of life, so whats the point in trying to turn florida into another concrete jungle?
Now this I happen to agree with, and being a Nyker myself...Let me add it just isn't florida we saw it in NC too, they want everything to be like home..People move for what they call a Different quality of life one should embrace it and not try to change it, because at the end of the day, If you loved where you came from so much why did you leave? I know the answer to that Im just saying...

Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Awesome, the ppl that do it in FL are now doing it in NC. I see a common theme.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Default 7 characters

Nu-yrkr

Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Now this I happen to agree with, and being a Nyker myself...Let me add it just isn't florida we saw it in NC too, they want everything to be like home..People move for what they call a Different quality of life one should embrace it and not try to change it, because at the end of the day, If you loved where you came from so much why did you leave? I know the answer to that Im just saying...
I am wondering what is meant by "they want everything to be like home"

What are these things that they are missing??

I have always found what I need in FL especially when it comes to food choices. I can get a perfect
pizza (no, the water makes no difference), good bagel bakery, U-bet syrup, potato knishes, Boars Head products of all kinds, pickled tomatoes, Arnold rye bread. There isn't anything that I can not find. If I came up with something I could order it online. So, that covers food. What else are they missing? I have never been able to figure that part out. After all, NYC is not the same NYC it was 30 years ago. So even if those people went back they would be missing a lot of things they were used to, i.e. the corner candy store
where you could get a malted or an egg cream. I get those both too. I make my own. Co2 Seltzer making bottle, a Model 33 Hamilton Beach mixer, Bryers ice cream and Ubet. I'm all set. These days it is hard to find a Hebrew National frank and a knish. There are a few places, but not too many. Brooklyn has about 3 of them.

I look forward to understanding the "Its not like home here" conundrum.
]

Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I surely can agree with that. If it is the same, what the heck were you looking for in the first place since you already had it? My wife and I didnt have that problem here in FL. We embraced it for what it does have, not what it does not have.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am wondering what is meant by "they want everything to be like home"

What are these things that they are missing??

I have always found what I need in FL especially when it comes to food choices. I can get a perfect
pizza (no, the water makes no difference), good bagel bakery, U-bet syrup, potato knishes, Boars Head products of all kinds, pickled tomatoes, Arnold rye bread. There isn't anything that I can not find. If I came up with something I could order it online. So, that covers food. What else are they missing? I have never been able to figure that part out. After all, NYC is not the same NYC it was 30 years ago. So even if those people went back they would be missing a lot of things they were used to, i.e. the corner candy store
where you could get a malted or an egg cream. I get those both too. I make my own. Co2 Seltzer making bottle, a Model 33 Hamilton Beach mixer, Bryers ice cream and Ubet. I'm all set. These days it is hard to find a Hebrew National frank and a knish. There are a few places, but not too many. Brooklyn has about 3 of them.

I look forward to understanding the "Its not like home here" conundrum.
]
I don't know of half the things you mentioned, lol.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I surely can agree with that. If it is the same, what the heck were you looking for in the first place since you already had it? My wife and I didnt have that problem here in FL. We embraced it for what it does have, not what it does not have.
Exactly, I can tell you for most, its the Food and depending on where you live its the Culture, One thing people will tell you is Charlotte doesn't really have any Culture, I know when you have small kids there are things to do but when you have older kids it is really quite boring...We did NOT find South Florida boring which is one of the things we loved about it...We were able to do just about the same things there as we could here...

I also think its just the Difference in life because if there new place was like the old place than whats the point?? lol

I will say I missed the food back home when we lived in NC cause the food has a lot to be desired there and not as much selection as here...South Florida the food was also great no complaints there...Now I will say for us South Florida was Just like being back home....Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but I think that was one of things we really liked to a certain degree...

Oh and getting Deli and a Kinish well that would be Foreign..LOL Not in South Florida though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida