Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
First of all SYG is not in question here. SYG is meant to allow a person to use deadly force in situations where the gun holder's life or well being is at risk. It simply means a: you do not need to comply to a criminals demands. b: You dont have to turn and run. It is not meant for two people arguing over a baseball game.

Tell me: When does self defense come to be an option?

Reeves already had a cell phone thrown at him and also had his property (popcorn) ripped from his hands and still the large angry person was still there and Reeves could assume that the next action by the attacker would be a punch thrown or a man jumping over the seat and beating on you.

Is it when you get punched in the face and get a broken jaw or when an attacker is in your lap
punching the correct time to defend yourself.??

You, like a few others here, do not understand this was more than popcorn being throw at Reeves.

It was an all out assault but for some reason people are not acknowledging that.

Tell me: If reeves pulled out a Bowie knife and stabbed Oulson in the chest and killed him
would you think differently?
An all out assault? I hope you don't carry. An all out assault would have caused obvious physical injury. I get more beat up trimming bougainvillea... Since the injured party didn't die immediately, would it have been okay for him to pull out a piece and blow the old man away? Would that have been wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
An all out assault? I hope you don't carry. An all out assault would have caused obvious physical injury. I get more beat up trimming bougainvillea... Since the injured party didn't die immediately, would it have been okay for him to pull out a piece and blow the old man away? Would that have been wrong?
Do you understand the purpose of self defense is to avoid physical injury?

If Oulsen shot Reeves, which was a possibility, that would be 2nd degree murder.

All Mr. Reeves was doing is protecting himself from further assault since Oulsen escalated the situation with the grabbing of and throwing of the popcorn. What do you think Olsen's next move was going to be at that point since he was so angry?

Reeves didnt want to find out.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:35 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
Quote:
I guess you are intentionally not looking at the cause of action.

A. He did (as far as we know) but he was ignored (wife said so).
B. Oulsen should have moved to another seat so he could text all he wanted with out bothering
anyone else.
C: Reees did go to theater management.

Oulson did not get shot for being rude. He got shot because he
a. threw a cell phone at reeves
b. grabbed reeves personal property (the popcorn) and threw it at him
c. continued in an aggreesive manner after that even though it was only a few seconds
between the popcorn and the shot.
She did not say that. And were supposed to believe anything she has to say anyhow. If they really wanted some answers to this case they should have arrested her too... I'll bet that foggy memory of hers would clear up real good then. She had the best seat in the house to the whole incident, she was sitting directly behind Oulson, Reeves was sitting behind Nicole, Oulsons wife. Sitting directly behind the victim but yet she virtually heard nothing when a registered nurse, and an Air Force veteran several seats away could clearly pick out bits and pieces of the conversation, but she didn't hear squat?

You know the saying though....lay down with dogs your gonna get fleas. It's already clear Reeves is a liar, why expect truth from his wife, especially after he directly threatened her "you better sit down and shut your f'ing mouth". She could've saved that young mans life "hey I wouldn't bicker with him, he's packing heat" but no, She sat there mum knowing a violent felony was about to be committed, which in itself makes her a felon as well.

The prosecution is going to have fun grilling her.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
She did not say that. And were supposed to believe anything she has to say anyhow. If they really wanted some answers to this case they should have arrested her too... I'll bet that foggy memory of hers would clear up real good then. She had the best seat in the house to the whole incident, she was sitting directly behind Oulson, Reeves was sitting behind Nicole, Oulsons wife. Sitting directly behind the victim but yet she virtually heard nothing when a registered nurse, and an Air Force veteran several seats away could clearly pick out bits and pieces of the conversation, but she didn't hear squat?

You know the saying though....lay down with dogs your gonna get fleas. It's already clear Reeves is a liar, why expect truth from his wife, especially after he directly threatened her "you better sit down and shut your f'ing mouth". She could've saved that young mans life "hey I wouldn't bicker with him, he's packing heat" but no, She sat there mum knowing a violent felony was about to be committed, which in itself makes her a felon as well.

The prosecution is going to have fun grilling her.
What are the charges?

Florida has no statutes against prescience.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:14 PM

550 posts, read 368,767 times
The poster who stated 'Reeves should be in an old folks home' supports my belief that ageism or prejudice against seniors is a large part of this prosecution and reinforces why so many seniors are arming themselves.

From the National Crime Prevention website:
Two-thirds of seniors believe they will inevitably be victims.
Many seniors alter their lifestyles because they fear being victimized.
Almost half of those age 75 or older are afraid to leave their homes after dark.
One-third of seniors say fear of crime has contributed to a sense of loneliness and isolation.

This shooting would never have happened if Reeves were 30 years old, 6-feet tall,and 200-pounds. Oulson initiated a confrontation because Reeves is a gray-haired, overweight, elderly looking man.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Do you understand the purpose of self defense is to avoid physical injury?

If Oulsen shot Reeves, which was a possibility, that would be 2nd degree murder.

All Mr. Reeves was doing is protecting himself from further assault since Oulsen escalated the situation with the grabbing of and throwing of the popcorn. What do you think Olsen's next move was going to be at that point since he was so angry?

Reeves didnt want to find out.
I fully understand. How would it be murder if, after being shot, Oulsen pulled out a gun and shot Reeves? Would he not be protecting himself from being shot again? Is that not self defense? In my opinion, without a display of deadly force, Reeves is quilty of murder. From what I've read of the situation, and a situation Reeves had been involved in several weeks earlier, it would seem he had a problem. What if Reeves had missed and hit someone else? Does he get a by? What if Oulsens wife had been more seriously wounded and died? Manslaughter? People have gotten totally out of hand with the whole gun thing. I don't care about people having guns, but if they pull them out and use them for the slightest excuse, I have a problem.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 02-12-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
The poster who stated 'Reeves should be in an old folks home' supports my belief that ageism or prejudice against seniors is a large part of this prosecution and reinforces why so many seniors are arming themselves.

Almost half of those age 75 or older are afraid to leave their homes after dark.
One-third of seniors say fear of crime has contributed to a sense of loneliness and isolation.

This shooting would never have happened if Reeves were 30 years old, 6-feet tall,and 200-pounds. Oulson initiated a confrontation because Reeves is a gray-haired, overweight, elderly looking man.
No, Reeves should not be in an old folks home. The solution is the FL DOC, they don't discriminate, all ages over 18 (and sometimes younger) are welcome.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Most seniors I know do what they want, when they want. There are those who get paranoid about their frailty and those who are stuck in changing neighborhoods unable to leave, and for them I feel truly sorry. For most though, it's a phobia, not a fact.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM

550 posts, read 368,767 times
Interesting that no one will address the question - would Oulson have acted the same way if Reeves were 6-ft and 30 or a young black male.

We all know the answer but the rabid mob that wants to lynch Reeves doesn't want to acknowledge the truth.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Interesting that no one will address the question - would Oulson have acted the same way if Reeves were 6-ft and 30 or a young black male.

We all know the answer but the rabid mob that wants to lynch Reeves doesn't want to acknowledge the truth.
What truth would that be? I don't think anyone wants to lynch Reeves. I think he had some kind of problem and used very poor judgement. Or it may be an early sign of dementia. I'm a senior citizen and I live around quite a few others. Some of them are really out there. One I know recently armed himself because he thinks "face eating" is becoming an epidemic. He's almost deaf and can't see well enough to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida