Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,578,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Interesting that no one will address the question - would Oulson have acted the same way if Reeves were 6-ft and 30 or a young black male.

We all know the answer but the rabid mob that wants to lynch Reeves doesn't want to acknowledge the truth.
With a full 10 inch drop between aisles, Oulsen was all of 5'4" when he confronted Reeves who was 6'1" 270 lbs. per his jail booking info. Oulsen was also a Desert Storm combat vet so I don't think he'd be too afraid of someone 6' and 30 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Interesting that no one will address the question - would Oulson have acted the same way if Reeves were 6-ft and 30 or a young black male.

We all know the answer but the rabid mob that wants to lynch Reeves doesn't want to acknowledge the truth.
Considering that you only posed the question an hour ago, I'm sure some C-Ders will be happy to respond to your post. I do believe Reeves will be convicted, but I'm open to hearing all of the evidence as I wasn't there and I'll guess you weren't either.

And I do believe if ANYONE was badgering Oulson in the fashion that Reeves did, Oulson would have said enough is enough and turned to confront the nuisance. I don't know what planet you live on, but there are plenty of 70-year-old men who can still kick some serious ass. I'm guessing that Reeves is one of those men, given his police training and service. And IIRC, Reeves is 6'1" and 270 pounds, close to the size of some lineman/linebackers in the NFL.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 PM

116 posts, read 169,542 times
Quote:
The news media jumps on a theme and nothing matters after that.

I am disgusted with the coverage on the Wesley Chapel shooting. The news media hates anyone who has a gun so it has made the shooter out to be a monster and the dead man a poor little victim. The widow has even had her own news conferences and fund raisers (what a surprise).

This started out as one person asking another to stop texting in a movie theater.

This shooting could have been avoided if the cell phone user had been a gentleman and either stopped his cell phone use or stepped out in the lobby to use it.

Instead, he threw the first blow (shades of Martin/Zimmerman) by throwing a box of popcorn at the shooter.

Does anyone think for one minute that Oulson, the dead man, would have provoked a fight if he'd looked behind and seen the man asking him to stop texting was 6-feet, 250-lb? Of course not.

Instead Oulson, a trim over 6-foot man, saw a gray-haired, elderly, overweight man and acted like a violent jerk. It would have been difficult in a dark movie theater for someone in their 70s to realize the throwing motion was simply popcorn and not a first or something else.

Now a politically-motivated judge is denying bail for the shooter. Routinely, accused raptists, child molesters, drug dealers, domestic violence suspects get bail but a self-defense defendant is denied bail because of all the crappy publicity. The news media hates it whenever anyone defends himself/herself with a gun.

Anyone especially those of us over 65 should be outraged by this prejudiced coverage of this case.
The shooter is a monster and proves beyond all reasonable doubt that these gun carrying morons only want to carry around guns for the sole purpose of murdering people for pleasure.

The judge should allow me to go to work on this racist Curtis Reeves thug with a pair of needle nose pliers and a torch.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 PM

116 posts, read 169,542 times
Quote:

Hey man, how are we supposed to know how the noble Oulson would have acted in the hypothetical situation your bigoted mind created, but the truth is that this Reeves fellow is a violent thug that needs to be removed from society.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I fully understand. How would it be murder if, after being shot, Oulsen pulled out a gun and shot Reeves? Would he not be protecting himself from being shot again? Is that not self defense? In my opinion, without a display of deadly force, Reeves is quilty of murder. From what I've read of the situation, and a situation Reeves had been involved in several weeks earlier, it would seem he had a problem. What if Reeves had missed and hit someone else? Does he get a by? What if Oulsens wife had been more seriously wounded and died? Manslaughter? People have gotten totally out of hand with the whole gun thing. I don't care about people having guns, but if they pull them out and use them for the slightest excuse, I have a problem.
Opps. Got your question wrong. If oulsen shot Reeves and killed him, I think that would be murder compounded with the felony he committed. He wouldnt be defending himself, it would be an escalation of the attack. If Reeves missed (unlikely at that range) and killed or injured someone else I would think he would be responsible.

I notice we havent heard anything about the previous incident, if there was one.

Keep in mind. A concealed weapons permit only allows you to carry a gun. It does not give you any right to display a firearm or use it. You believe the Reeves matter is over a trivial event. It was not. Reeves
was being attacked and used self defense to stop the attacker from harming him any further. Oulsen wasnt going to stop at the point of the thrown objects, he would have taken the next step of escalation.

Cops shoot and killl people for the same reason. They become fearful for their safety or the safety of others. This is the way the world works. You do harm to someone, they are going to do harm to you (or at least want to).

Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowwatertemple View Post
Hey man, how are we supposed to know how the noble Oulson would have acted in the hypothetical situation your bigoted mind created, but the truth is that this Reeves fellow is a violent thug that needs to be removed from society.
WHY? Because he defended himself in an attack????

If Reeves went out side to smoke a cigarette during the movie and was accosted by someone who wanted his wallet and he shot that person dead, would he be wrong?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowwatertemple View Post
The shooter is a monster and proves beyond all reasonable doubt that these gun carrying morons only want to carry around guns for the sole purpose of murdering people for pleasure.

The judge should allow me to go to work on this racist Curtis Reeves thug with a pair of needle nose pliers and a torch.
Over one million people in FL have carry permits for firearms. How often do you hear about one of them committing a crime?

I am a "gun carrying moron" s you label me and one million other people and I have no desire to murder anybody. However, if I am attacked I will respond. I will respond with deadly force.

At any rate, most retired LEO's carry a gun.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:17 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Opps. Got your question wrong. If oulsen shot Reeves and killed him, I think that would be murder compounded with the felony he committed. He wouldnt be defending himself, it would be an escalation of the attack. If Reeves missed (unlikely at that range) and killed or injured someone else I would think he would be responsible.

I notice we havent heard anything about the previous incident, if there was one.

Keep in mind. A concealed weapons permit only allows you to carry a gun. It does not give you any right to display a firearm or use it. You believe the Reeves matter is over a trivial event. It was not. Reeves
was being attacked and used self defense to stop the attacker from harming him any further. Oulsen wasnt going to stop at the point of the thrown objects, he would have taken the next step of escalation.

Cops shoot and killl people for the same reason. They become fearful for their safety or the safety of others. This is the way the world works. You do harm to someone, they are going to do harm to you (or at least want to).
There's no evidence that anything other than popcorn was thrown. Read this and tell me there's any credible evidence he was in danger. Reeves was a long retired cop, he was serving no official function and should be considered just another citizen.

Bail denied for man accused in fatal Florida movie theater shooting - CNN.com

Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Over one million people in FL have carry permits for firearms. How often do you hear about one of them committing a crime?

I am a "gun carrying moron" s you label me and one million other people and I have no desire to murder anybody. However, if I am attacked I will respond. I will respond with deadly force.

Yes they do, and most don't use them or only in a dire situation. If they use them improperly, they should be held to account. And if someone curses you or throws popcorn at you, I suggest you keep your cool or we'll be debating your fate.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:

That's funny, there was an active duty LEO in the same row as Reeves and he didn't feel it necessary to carry a firearm into an entertainment venue that day. By the way, Reeves used to be head of security at another entertainment venue that had a no weapons policy, that being Busch Gardens. If anyone should be aware that you do not carry a weapon into an place of entertainment, it should've been Reeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida