Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 PM

38 posts, read 49,428 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are close to retirement but we really want to spend our remaining years in Florida. The cold winters here in Pennsylvania are just too depressing. We both love the beach and sun. It rains here constantly (I know FL gets rain too but trust me it can't compare to PA).

Here's what we're looking for. We'd like to buy a 2 or 3 bedroom condo as close to the beach as possible. In an area that is mostly safe and has a quaint downtown. We really don't want big city living. In fact I hate elevators and driving big highways. Hubby doesn't mind. He's a tractor trailer driver and has about 5 years left before retirement. So he will have to find a good job that isn't OTR. He can drive tankers and any big trucks really. He just wants it to be local driving. He's also willing to take a factory job as long as it pays well... Hubby is the hardest worker I know. Anyway we'd also like to be close to an airport and hospital. I really hate high rise buildings but a first or second floor condo would be great. A pool is a must. Would love oceanfront but I doubt we'd be able to afford one.

We have been researching Florida towns for 2 years and we just can't find that smaller beach town that you can ride your moped or golf cart to the store and get to know your neighbors but yet have the feel of resort living withe a pool and the ocean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Budget? Preference for Atlantic or Gulf side?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 59,755 times
We bought a condo a year ago in the Jax Beaches area, specifically Atlantic Beach. We are a couple blocks from the beach but there are lots of options available on the beach as well. Our condo has pool, tennis, rec center. It is a 55+ . I am 53 and my husband is 67 . For now we go down about 4 times a year as much as we can. We have a few obligations here in NY but once we are done we are moving permanently, hopefully within 2 years at the most. He will retire but i will still work for awhile. The Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach/Jacksonville Beach areas are so nice. We asked about golf carts and you can register them and drive them on certain streets. We have bikes and ride everywhere. Jacksonville Beach is a little more popuulated, lots of great restaurants, bars, the pier, etc. and Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach more residential - but does have great restaurants bars and shops as well - so we have the best of both worlds. It is just so beautiful there. We have visited many areas of Florida over our lives and never even knew this existed until my daughter moved down here to go to law school. We had been coming to visit for 4 years when finally last year we decided to buy a place . It truly was the best thing we ever did and so look forward to the day when we can be there for good!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Sarasota will definitely be a good place for you.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Yeah all I really know extremely well is the Jax metro. The beaches here (Jax, Atlantic, Neptune, Ponte Vedra, etc) in general aren't high-rises, and they have a quaint feel for being semi-big city. You can try St Augustine (which is amazing) or Amelia Island (also amazing but quite a bit smaller) but these will probably be farther from potential jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landk97 View Post
We bought a condo a year ago in the Jax Beaches area, specifically Atlantic Beach. We are a couple blocks from the beach but there are lots of options available on the beach as well. Our condo has pool, tennis, rec center. It is a 55+ . I am 53 and my husband is 67 . For now we go down about 4 times a year as much as we can. We have a few obligations here in NY but once we are done we are moving permanently, hopefully within 2 years at the most. He will retire but i will still work for awhile. The Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach/Jacksonville Beach areas are so nice. We asked about golf carts and you can register them and drive them on certain streets. We have bikes and ride everywhere. Jacksonville Beach is a little more popuulated, lots of great restaurants, bars, the pier, etc. and Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach more residential - but does have great restaurants bars and shops as well - so we have the best of both worlds. It is just so beautiful there. We have visited many areas of Florida over our lives and never even knew this existed until my daughter moved down here to go to law school. We had been coming to visit for 4 years when finally last year we decided to buy a place . It truly was the best thing we ever did and so look forward to the day when we can be there for good!
Welcome and glad you love the area!!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:36 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
North Florida is cold in the winter. Often as cold as the northeast, but not as harsh or as long a winter, but you need coats, where as in south Florida you do not. If you don't want hot all year go to central Florida on either coast. If you want south Florida I would stick with the west coast and the Gulf Beaches. Jobs are hard to find in Florida and I've never seen a factory here.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:36 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Being this is the second thread started by the OP, we still don't know what the housing budget is and kind of crucial to accurate recommendations.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 AM

55 posts, read 59,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah all I really know extremely well is the Jax metro. The beaches here (Jax, Atlantic, Neptune, Ponte Vedra, etc) in general aren't high-rises, and they have a quaint feel for being semi-big city. You can try St Augustine (which is amazing) or Amelia Island (also amazing but quite a bit smaller) but these will probably be farther from potential jobs.

Welcome and glad you love the area!!
Thank you, can't wait to move down permanently! I agree about there not being many high-rises and I think too that we were told that Atlantic Beach has some kind of restrictions on anything on the beach over 2 stories which is nice.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,398,625 times
Jupiter, or Vero Beach

Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalouwho View Post
My husband and I are close to retirement but we really want to spend our remaining years in Florida. The cold winters here in Pennsylvania are just too depressing. We both love the beach and sun. It rains here constantly (I know FL gets rain too but trust me it can't compare to PA).

Here's what we're looking for. We'd like to buy a 2 or 3 bedroom condo as close to the beach as possible. In an area that is mostly safe and has a quaint downtown. We really don't want big city living. In fact I hate elevators and driving big highways. Hubby doesn't mind. He's a tractor trailer driver and has about 5 years left before retirement. So he will have to find a good job that isn't OTR. He can drive tankers and any big trucks really. He just wants it to be local driving. He's also willing to take a factory job as long as it pays well... Hubby is the hardest worker I know. Anyway we'd also like to be close to an airport and hospital. I really hate high rise buildings but a first or second floor condo would be great. A pool is a must. Would love oceanfront but I doubt we'd be able to afford one.

We have been researching Florida towns for 2 years and we just can't find that smaller beach town that you can ride your moped or golf cart to the store and get to know your neighbors but yet have the feel of resort living withe a pool and the ocean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That is because it is totally unrealistic. Unless you got lots of money, which you haven't told us yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida