Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
This argument is pointless, yea if you were in the middle of a bad city of course you could get blindsided and it wouldnt matter if you were packing or not. How would SYG help your freind in anyway in the scenario you described?
San Francisco is a bad city? It's a world city lol.

SYG at least gives him the ability to defend himself without worrying as much of going to prison. There are a lot of places that require you to retreat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
Please, everyone, listen to the OP. Please! Its horrible here, dont move here!!!

(heheheheheheheh)

Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Many would argue that Stand Your Ground allows you to keep your family safe, myself included. What happened? Your friend got shot because he broke into someone's house?
I bet you called it.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
I currently live in San Francisco, where it's the exact opposite of stand your ground. My friend was recently attacked because he had his phone out. The guy came up from behind, punched him in the head, slammed him against the wall (he was walking on the sidewalk), the guy then pulled out a knife and stabbed him a couple times and ran off. A lot of criminals don't have any fear because they know if they are stronger, they don't have much to worry about.

When I start my family, I will want to live in a state with stand your ground. I'm not going to carry outside of my house, but I want to know that if I had to use it during a violent home invasion to protect my family, the odds are I won't end up being found guilty of murder like I most likely would in the Bay Area.

Now go to Oakland, which has very strict gun laws and it is out of control. You can find videos where people are shooting their guns in the air and a police drives by and they start throwing beer bottles at the cop and the cop speeds off. Unless you can somehow get guns out of the hands of criminals, law abiding citizens should have the right to carry and protect themselves.
You don't need SYG to protect your home. California § Penal Code 198.5 . Most states have a Castle Doctrine where someone who illegally enters you home is automatically presumed to be a bodily threat to you or your household and deadly force is allowed. SYG is for outside the home.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 PM

116 posts, read 169,391 times
Quote:

SYG at least gives him the ability to defend himself without worrying as much of going to prison. There are a lot of places that require you to retreat.
Stand your Ground only encourages racist little boy thugs, like George Zimmerman and Mike Dunn to murder unarmed teenagers. If people are facing a serious threat they should retreat.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times
I think Florida's problems are beyond SYG. You have states like Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Hampshire, Kansas, etc. that all have SYG laws and some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Then you have states like Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Michigan that have SYG laws and bad violent crime rates. Of course, I don't doubt that there are people out there that might look to SYG in order to start a confrontation. But that says more about the people than anything.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,409 times
Great post! You sound perfect for Florida. We get all the, ahem, "different" people here.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,750 times
Quote:

Arguing extremes is counterproductive and pointless, isn't there a middle ground between your scenario where supposedly you get stabbed and if you defend yourself you go to jail, and shooting people over popcorn being thrown in your face.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM

109 posts, read 143,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowwatertemple View Post
Stand your Ground only encourages racist little boy thugs, like George Zimmerman and Mike Dunn to murder unarmed teenagers. If people are facing a serious threat they should retreat.
What? Didn't Zimmerman get attacked first by getting sucker punched and his head bashed into the concrete? Therefore he was defending his life from someone who was trying to kill him?

Dunn on the other hand, do not know enough and still believe there is more to that story then told.

Stand your ground saved George Zimmermans life from an account from a kid who was determined to kill him.

Ask yourself, who threw the first punch and was the one who was the actual attacker. Answer is Martin.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike1203 View Post
Florida is corrupt and your family will not be safe here. Everyday another story of an unarmed individual being shot and killed for getting in a confrontation. The suspects always get away with the killing, STAND YOUR GROUND law is like free to kill who ever you want law.

To many Hot headed old people with guns ,I will never go to this god forsaken state without my gun to shoot any old trigger happy crazy man.

You must have moved into a bad area. I feel perfectly safe in my neighborhood.

The only issue I have is driving through those slum lord welfare type area to get where I need to go.
If you watch 13 news you will see the types of people who are committing crimes on others. Not hard to see who they are. Daily it is shown on the news with the mug shots of those criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida