Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 AM

351 posts, read 491,653 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family from MN to Naples this summer. I'm recently widowed. My girls and I all sleep in the same bedroom - one with me; two on the floor. I'm not looking for comments please on this. This is their choice. We are all feeling a loss.

I am curious - when we live in Florida, will there be an issue with my girls sleeping on the floor? The master bedroom of my house is on the main floor. Do we need to worry about poisonous spiders or scorpions? We do have a pest service, but still I see spiders on occasion.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
The floor isn't a bigger issue than elsewhere in the house. Note that I've found scorpions wrapped up in towels - under mattresses - in shoes - other places where they can hide. As well as on the floor. FWIW - we do have interior pest control 4x year. Still - you can't kill every single critter that thinks that your house is its house. Robyn

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and perhaps a good dose of sunshine and a change of scenery will do everyone a little good, but to have ur kids sleeping on the floor seems almost like abuse.... could u at least spring for an air mattress?

FL has lots of bugs, really just depends on how good ur pest control is. Simple as that.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Venomous Critters

Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The floor isn't a bigger issue than elsewhere in the house. Note that I've found scorpions wrapped up in towels - under mattresses - in shoes - other places where they can hide. As well as on the floor. FWIW - we do have interior pest control 4x year. Still - you can't kill every single critter that thinks that your house is its house. Robyn
I've heard others say that you can find scorpions in places they can hide in the house in Florida- I remember my mother telling me about this years ago when I moved to Miami ( 1976!). So I've always been on the lookout just to make sure I didn't accidentally step into a shoe with a scorpion in it, or run into one somewhere it was hiding- especially the year that I lived in the Keys. But I have to say I have never seen hide nor hair of a scorpion in all the years I've lived here. There's always a first time, though, so I will keep looking for them.

We've seen a couple black widow spiders ( at least we think that's what they are out in the yard- haven't seen any in the house).

Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Ha ha. I was warned of scorpions when I moved from Orlando to Spring Hill. Before that I never heard of them being an issue. 25 years later I also have never had an encounter with or even saw a single scorpion in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've heard others say that you can find scorpions in places they can hide in the house in Florida- I remember my mother telling me about this years ago when I moved to Miami ( 1976!). So I've always been on the lookout just to make sure I didn't accidentally step into a shoe with a scorpion in it, or run into one somewhere it was hiding- especially the year that I lived in the Keys. But I have to say I have never seen hide nor hair of a scorpion in all the years I've lived here. There's always a first time, though, so I will keep looking for them.

We've seen a couple black widow spiders ( at least we think that's what they are out in the yard- haven't seen any in the house).

Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 10,301 times
I've lived in Florida for 35 years and I have never had a scorpion in my house, condo or apartment. Once in awhile, I'll see a Palmetto Bug (they look like huge roaches) but that's about it. We don't have flies here, either. We have lizards that are harmless.

I wouldn't worry about sleeping on the floor. Just make sure you buy/rent a house that is well insulated.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
I've never seen a scorpion in Florida either, and I came here in the early 70s. Oh course now that I've said that....... I don't think there's any more danger on the floor than there would be in a bed.
Sorry for your loss.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
I've also never seen a scorpion. But you should keep a look out for roaches, ants, spiders and the occasional lizard that finds a way in. I would be most worried for spiders. But like others have said, it depends on pest control, location, type of living conditions, etc.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:18 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Is it possible? Yeah, suppose so but I don't know anybody that gives it any thought.
The nasty bites from teeny, tiny no-seeums bother me more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida