Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: Disney world, hurricane safety, whole house generator, housing, education.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 PM

68 posts, read 422,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I was in Lake Helen when the eye of Charlie ripped through. Electricity out. Phone dead. TVs out. Lines down in the yard. Trees devastated everywhere. Homes ripped in half. Then, the humidity of hell sets in the next day.

By the way, I loved the fact that after hurricanes FEMA brings in union electrical technicians from other states getting paid 3x their salaries to restore power. Meanwhile, Florida workers are paid no differently than before the hurricanes quite. Add to that the stories of Florida power techs getting fired because they had to take care of their families and homes following hurricanes - with no recourse, as they had no unions.

I've only heard of snow (ice really) dropping lines in the rarest of circumstances. I lost my electricity in Florida at least one a week - no kidding. The power supply was dirty and messy. So, I didn't even have to wait for storms to corrupt the electricity. But when it went off, you lost your air conditioning. Up north, if you lose your power, your heat still works.
What kind of heat still works if you lose your power?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post

Just one more reason I rather have snow and ice.
Here we go again..

Old 12-12-2007, 03:16 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
NYNewbie, I support you... and I've lived in Florida longer than some posters here. Florida has a truckload of problems, most of them related to the conservative Republicans running this state. Even Democrats here tend to be more conservative than not. In Seminole County the only guy they could dig up to fight Tom Feeney was some guy that had worked for Tom Feeney and was disgruntled (and ran largely on a campaign of "I'm not Feeney" and failed)- what's that tell you?

The conservatives in Florida cannot wrap their brains around the concept of "sustainability" and "quality of life", unless it involves quality of life for millianaires.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:37 AM

57 posts, read 59,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
I think he was focusing on people's attitudes. They act like Florida is absolutley unbearable even though bad stuff happens everywhere. They single Florida out and never even mention the atrocities that take place elsewhere. I don't think he was suggesting that we ignore others. I think he was simply saying that people need to layoff on all the Florida bashing.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I don't think this forum is supposed to be about "other" places outside of Florida because this is the Florida forum, so any complaints are valid here if they have to do with Florida's issues. We know there are issues here like there are in other places and sometimes one is worse than the other, but people also get onto people that post about Florida issues but do they do the same things in the other states forums?...Are other states problems more valid than people that post about thier problems of living in Florida on the Florida forum?...I think the post would be removed if we started talking about crime in Nevada or somewhere else so I say lets stick to the issues and solutions of the states' forum we are posting in

Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 AM

57 posts, read 59,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Well lets be fair, if blizzards are rare than so are hurricanes. Until 2004 most of Florida went 40-45 years without getting hit by a hurricane. Palm Beach County went 44 years of no major hits.

I lived up north for 30 years and lived here for the last 6. I remember being without power for 2 weeks during one blizzard....just like the poor midwestern folks are now.

I also remember being without power in Jupiter Farms for 10 days in 2004. We showered with water hung from a tree....basically camped out.

No contest, being without power from a blizzard or ice storm is a million times worse. People continue to die all during the power outage due to the temperatures. The death toll out west rises every day by 2-4 people.

Both are equally rare, blizzards and hurricanes hitting any one area.
I would disagree..i went through Hurricane Andrew which was in 1992 and there were some other hurricanes before 2004 that hit Florida within that 40-45 year gap, but were not as catastrophic as Andrew, but they always cause lots of damage which raises insurance prices and may even put some people out on the streets.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
there are complainers in almost every city and state forum and they seem to be making the same complaints all the time. all i can say is too bad that they are not happy here, but plenty of people are!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Default Honest Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
there are complainers in almost every city and state forum and they seem to be making the same complaints all the time. all i can say is too bad that they are not happy here, but plenty of people are!
Although some portions of this thread are antagonistic and/or defensive, I am most impressed with the brutal honesty. Most of the posts have come from intelligent, well-informed individuals that share a common line of thought... the Florida of today is just not for everyone. The Florida economy is still geared to benefit the wealthy, but more specifically, the wealthy senior. Unfortunately, the "scraps" left for the middle class are most difficult to sustain oneself, much less the family. The sad fact is that Florida has so much to offer beyond the economics, but who will be able to afford to pay for it?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
NYnewbie, thank you for your references, although I'm not sure if the extra fluff was necessary. It kind of seemed "agenda pushing".

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-12-2007 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
What agenda would he/she be pushing?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What agenda would he/she be pushing?
I don't know yet, I meant "seemed", not "screamed". But I saw a lot of additional and some dubious statements and generalizations. Like the "Florida more dangerous than Iraq" and unreferenced "51.1% dropout rate" thing when the state's spot dropout rate is 3% and graduation rate is a (still obscenely low) 74%. And for the dropouts, 74-3=71%.http://www.fldoe.org/news/2006/2006_...opoutRates.pdf I do have to ask though, what is I-1 and I-19?

This thread is also named "give Florida a break" not "give an exaggerated analysis of why Florida is the biggest hell hole in the country".

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-12-2007 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida