Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM

741 posts, read 915,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
FL can enact all the laws it wants but that is not going to stop people from wanting and having exotic creatures in their possession.
No, but it will hugely stem the tide of 'casual owners' who have no idea what they're in when they buy their kids a python for Easter for and wind up dumping their animals once they're no longer little and cute which is 99.9% of the problem.

Florida, CA and HI have very unique ecological considerations because there is no winter to kill off invasive species. They require appropriate laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
With the pythons wreaking havoc on the Everglades and expanding their range you would think Florida lawmakers would pass laws with stiffer penalties for people who illegally own dangerous reptiles. I don't know if other states have similar laws, but Florida has a major problem with invasive species and the perfect climate for them.

This latest news of a guy keeping cobras in Sarasota is kind of disturbing especially when you consider he's only facing a slap on the wrist. Why would anyone want to even keep something so dangerous in their home? Florida needs to pass laws with severe consequences for these people.

FWC officers seize venomous reptiles, arrest Sarasota man
If the cobra escapes florida could get infested with cobras since I think this is their kind of climate. Cobras are the worst too because they hunt humans and may stalk you when they are hungry because I mean they need to get their meal from "somewhere". Be careful.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
With the pythons wreaking havoc on the Everglades and expanding their range you would think Florida lawmakers would pass laws with stiffer penalties for people who illegally own dangerous reptiles. I don't know if other states have similar laws, but Florida has a major problem with invasive species and the perfect climate for them.

This latest news of a guy keeping cobras in Sarasota is kind of disturbing especially when you consider he's only facing a slap on the wrist. Why would anyone want to even keep something so dangerous in their home? Florida needs to pass laws with severe consequences for these people.

FWC officers seize venomous reptiles, arrest Sarasota man
So what kind of penalty would you suggest?

It's already 60 days in jail plus $500.00 PER OFFENSE and the guy was charged with multiple offenses. 7 animals alone would get him over a year in jail not including other offenses.

Of course the dichotomy is, the LIBERALS who think GOVERNMENT is the solution to everything are the very same people who complain about harsh sentencing or "social inequality". Same with judges or juries who impose "slaps on the wrists".

So lay it out there. WHAT should the penalty be?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Yes, I have known NLF's agenda from his first post. He really believes that his nonsense is going to change the tide of people coming to live here. I would say the odds of getting murdered in Chicago is better than
getting bit by a spider here.

I worked for a lady who grew up in Cabrini-Green. One of the better public housing projects there.
LOL, I think his screen name might be a dead give-away in that regard!

Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So what kind of penalty would you suggest?

It's already 60 days in jail plus $500.00 PER OFFENSE and the guy was charged with multiple offenses. 7 animals alone would get him over a year in jail not including other offenses.

Of course the dichotomy is, the LIBERALS who think GOVERNMENT is the solution to everything are the very same people who complain about harsh sentencing or "social inequality". Same with judges or juries who impose "slaps on the wrists".

So lay it out there. WHAT should the penalty be?
For having cobras? One year and $10,000 per offense.

Why do you have to politicize EVERYTHING? Are you that insecure in your beliefs that every, and I mean every conversation has to turn into an attack on anyone who doesn't follow your way of thinking? I honestly can't imagine going through life being constantly pissed off.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

Why do you have to politicize EVERYTHING? Are you that insecure in your beliefs that every, and I mean every conversation has to turn into an attack on anyone who doesn't follow your way of thinking? I honestly can't imagine going through life being constantly pissed off.
Wish I could rep you again, but I must spread around first.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I think a year in jail is a little much and ten grand excessive for the crime of keeping an animal of any sort providing there was no negligence in the keeping. If someone follows all the rules but never got the piece of paper for it then the punishment should not be so great.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:

I think that is a lot better than what the law is now, but I think that might be a little lax considering the potential damage they can cause. Consider the damage that pythons are causing and the state seems to be doing little to control the problem. At the rate these snakes are expanding it would not surprise me if one day they become a problem for the entire Southeast.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
I think a year in jail is a little much and ten grand excessive for the crime of keeping an animal of any sort providing there was no negligence in the keeping. If someone follows all the rules but never got the piece of paper for it then the punishment should not be so great.
The very act of some half wit keeping cobras as pets is negligence. Getting that "piece of paper" proves that there is a scientific or medical reason to keep poisonous, exotic snakes. There is no reason on God's Green Earth why a layman should be allowed (or even want) to keep cobras as pets. What's next-some goober fancies himself an amateur epidemiologist and feels the need to keep Ebola and Typhoid viruses on hand?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:13 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
The very act of some half wit keeping cobras as pets is negligence. Getting that "piece of paper" proves that there is a scientific or medical reason to keep poisonous, exotic snakes. There is no reason on God's Green Earth why a layman should be allowed (or even want) to keep cobras as pets. What's next-some goober fancies himself an amateur epidemiologist and feels the need to keep Ebola and Typhoid viruses on hand?
Florida is all about personal freedom know matter how detrimental it is to your fellow man.

Think about the lax texting while driving laws that were just recently past, the freedom to put a gun range on your land anywhere in the state. I'm sure there are many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida