Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Such over dramatic nonsense. First off, here are the last two notices about Volleyball.

Adult Co - Ed Volleyball
Sunday, September 21 at 10:00am
Delta Woods Park in Spring Hill, Florida

Who's joining us tomorrow? ?
Sep 14
Adult Co - Ed Volleyball
Sunday, September 14 at 10:00am
Delta Woods Park12 people went

Tabetha See you there
September 13 at 8:19pm · Like · 1
Tabetha Looking forward to seeing you all
September 13 at 8:20pm · Like · 1
Karen Yes me too Tabetha!
September 13 at 8:23pm · Lik

It goes on year round.

Illusions of granduer? Be real. The people who post on CD who "hibernate" in the summer are usually people who hate being here in the first place. Outdoor activity in the summer here is very active.
People play tennis, Bocci ball, volleyball, softball, golfing, basketball, biking, bird watching are all popular activities here.

Maybe you are a person who has an extra 50-150 pounds on them, I dont know. I could see where
those folks could have a problem. Anyone with normal health does anything they want. People mow their lawns, tend to gardens go fishing, crabbing, swimming. There are weekends where you cant get into Weeki Wachee springs (Buccaneer Bay) because of the crowds. They turn people away.

Just think of the other "hot" states. Southern Arizona, Southern New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi,
Alabama. Do you think that the people in all those places hibernate to escape the heat? Hardly.

Guess what: If you dont set up your picnic close to a fire ant hill you will have no problem with them.

You seem to be very hung up on temperatures. It makes no difference what the temperature is. After all, just above every single day from June to September is 90, 92. Yeah, we have humidity too. The answer to that is stay hydrated and wear a sweat band around your head and neck. A hat is useful too. Jeeze, how many layers of paint did you have on for it to slide off your face?

You would be surprised what environments to human body can withstand.

So you have no ants, spiders, mosquitoes, worms, snakes, flies, gnats, roaches where you live? They are a vital part of the environment. Just like we have possums, coyote, fox, racoon, armadillo, even FL cougars and a whole bunch of birds, manatees, dolphins, sharks, all kinds of wildlife.

How about Mayflies, stink bugs, grasshoppers, june bugs.

It is 87 here on my deck right now. Got the misters on which makes it feel much cooler.
Baby back ribs and corn on the cob on the grill.

November-April it will be 10-15 degrees or cooler. In the 70's. I will be here on my deck in shorts, sneakers anda T-shirt.

As it has been said: If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen."

Come see us in December, January or February when you're in the 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
LMAO!!! (Hold up for a minute, let me catch my breath......he's got me laughing too hard).

Ok I got it together now. Hello darling, I've been waiting on you, what took you so long cause I knew as surely as night becomes day you would come along & you did not disappoint me. As far as all that nonsense & illusions of grandeur you wrote..........how many, many times have people right here on CD wrote how they hibernate from the heat as much as possible, huh? Senior citizens in particular & I would imagine asthmatic people as well have a hard time breathing stifling air. Outdoor activities? With a relentless & overbearing sun combined with high humidity those outdoor activities are far & in between since no one's goal is to have a heat stroke, you have one over active imagination since it's not rocket science to understand the human body can only endure but so much oppressive conditions. No such thing as a sterile environment, God's creatures abound here too but not the type of critters you have (Thank God), we can have picnics, sit or lay on the grass without Fire Ants consuming us. Furthermore I don't have to take the word of posters I've experienced your weather on several occasions & know 1st hand the Hell it can be, saw my makeup slide down my face as soon as I got off the plane in Sept in Orlando, got splattered & drenched with Love Bugs all over our car in which we were in a state of shock cause up here in the northeast we never heard of such a thing. And yes, it gets hot & humid here as well but thankfully our endurance is 3 months tops as you know fully well being a former New Yorker. Now don't be jealous when I tell you our high for today will be 74*, overnight low 60's. Farewell until we meet again (and I know we will).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Such over dramatic nonsense. First off, here are the last two notices about Volleyball.

Adult Co - Ed Volleyball
Sunday, September 21 at 10:00am
Delta Woods Park in Spring Hill, Florida

Who's joining us tomorrow? ?
Sep 14
Adult Co - Ed Volleyball
Sunday, September 14 at 10:00am
Delta Woods Park12 people went

Tabetha See you there
September 13 at 8:19pm · Like · 1
Tabetha Looking forward to seeing you all
September 13 at 8:20pm · Like · 1
Karen Yes me too Tabetha!
September 13 at 8:23pm · Lik

It goes on year round.

Illusions of granduer? Be real. The people who post on CD who "hibernate" in the summer are usually people who hate being here in the first place. Outdoor activity in the summer here is very active.
People play tennis, Bocci ball, volleyball, softball, golfing, basketball, biking, bird watching are all popular activities here.

Maybe you are a person who has an extra 50-150 pounds on them, I dont know. I could see where
those folks could have a problem. Anyone with normal health does anything they want. People mow their lawns, tend to gardens go fishing, crabbing, swimming. There are weekends where you cant get into Weeki Wachee springs (Buccaneer Bay) because of the crowds. They turn people away.

Just think of the other "hot" states. Southern Arizona, Southern New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi,
Alabama. Do you think that the people in all those places hibernate to escape the heat? Hardly.

Guess what: If you dont set up your picnic close to a fire ant hill you will have no problem with them.

You seem to be very hung up on temperatures. It makes no difference what the temperature is. After all, just above every single day from June to September is 90, 92. Yeah, we have humidity too. The answer to that is stay hydrated and wear a sweat band around your head and neck. A hat is useful too. Jeeze, how many layers of paint did you have on for it to slide off your face?

You would be surprised what environments to human body can withstand.

So you have no ants, spiders, mosquitoes, worms, snakes, flies, gnats, roaches where you live? They are a vital part of the environment. Just like we have possums, coyote, fox, racoon, armadillo, even FL cougars and a whole bunch of birds, manatees, dolphins, sharks, all kinds of wildlife.

How about Mayflies, stink bugs, grasshoppers, june bugs.

It is 87 here on my deck right now. Got the misters on which makes it feel much cooler.
Baby back ribs and corn on the cob on the grill.

November-April it will be 10-15 degrees or cooler. In the 70's. I will be here on my deck in shorts, sneakers anda T-shirt.

As it has been said: If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen."

Come see us in December, January or February when you're in the 40s.
That poster is obviously a troll, desperately looking for someone to engage.....

Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That poster is obviously a troll, desperately looking for someone to engage.....
And you're not trolling? Your whole mission on CD seems to be attack or make snarky comments towards folks with a different opinion.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 AM

528 posts, read 867,114 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed. To each their own. There are several states where the summer weather is hot and humid.
If the air were unhealthy we'd have a lot of sick people here. People would be walking around with breathing apparatus. If someone has a problem breathing here they should consult a doctor. Bugs get bigger and bigger? What is the largest insect you have ever seen in FL?

For you it may be too hot for outdoor activity. For many of us its just another day. On Sundays there is a group who play volleyball in the park. The golf courses are busy year round. We ride bikes, jog, play softball and basketball all year round.

I'm here 25 years. I have never seen a tarantula in the wild. Love bugs are a twice a year phenomenon.
Red tide is controlled by mother nature are are the bugs and insects. The "giant flying cockroaches" you refer to are simply American Cockroaches. Can't say I've seen too many gators. On the rivers and the lakes is where they are normally found though sometimes they wind up in someone's swimming pool.
It's sad that you prefer a sterile environment instead of one where God's creatures abound.

Please do come visit us during our cooler weather. Not everybody can stand the hot weather and they should stay as far north as possible tp avoid exposure.
One thing I can say is the air is not unhealthy in Florida. When I first arrived in Sacramento from the Bradenton area, I got horribly sick trying to get used to it, I feel I even got bronchitis and worse allergies. The trees out there are some of the worst. I kid you not and there are bugs in California also contrary to what people think. They think FL has all these scary looking things and alligators everywhere but guess what, RARELY did I ever see them! That's the thing. I love how people from the left coast think FL is some living hell but to me its quite the contrary.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. Hey, there are thousands and thousands of people in NYC who earn $10 an hour and less. That is in the most expensive city in the nation. There are also people there who earn $250,000 a year.
And yet why are very few of them happy? Those who make 100k or more. They end up spending it and being broke and overworked, same with California. I hate being reminded of miserable overworked people. FL is more laid back on the whole and a life I want to get back to. The only workaholics seem to be those who buy mansions and live unlike most of the population.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree also. And for example, my husband works for county government. Several years ago we were playing with the idea of moving to CA central coast. I was searching for similar job opportunities for him, and looked from LA area up to north central Coast, and of the few opportunities available NOT ONE paid any better, and most were worse. In fact, the one in Santa Barbara had ads that were BEGGING people to work there despite the outrageous cost of living - LOL! No takers! I have read about people taking a job and living in a tent for weeks while looking for an affordable place to live, and then having to QUIT and move elsewhere! You have to have a million bux to afford a hovel there. In Sarasota we have a very similar environment to Santa Barbara (minus the mountains but better beaches) live in a waterfront community and actually have money to go out! And while it's true that coastal California has nicer summers than Florida, the rest of the year the weather there is highly overrated, IMO.

CA definitely does NOT pay better, and even where they do, you have to figure the outrageous cost of living there (like NY). Yup, again, I appreciate my little slice of affordable paradise here.
Yea I am glad he didn't take it at the end of the day. That would have been hell on earth right there. California may have the highest rate of poverty right now in this nation because of those statistics. Maybe even worse than some of the deep south. They always like to point at AL or MS as far as places being backwards and no benefits for workers etc and slavery but California gets highly overlooked for this often times. Its known as some liberal place yet you also hear gay marriage getting voted down there. Nowhere else in the south did you blatantly hear about that. Just Arizona and California.

Sarasota/St Pete are 2 of the best areas I've been in and at a fraction of the cost easily. I will do without all those diverse climates if it means cheaper housing and somewhat more jobs even if not perfect. People love bragging in CA how theyre an hr from skiing and the beach but it gets old real fast considering the circumstances.

New York City has some of the worst costs in America also no question. I found people of NY overall nice, more so than Californians whenever I went for sure whether it be Manhattan, Long Island, or even Upstate by Quebec. Some of the nicest people imo reside in NY and this comes from someone from the Boston area originally. My stepdad is from NY and I met his family, observed some of Nassau County and while it was nuts at times traffic wise, people didn't seem the worst either like in California. If I lived in NY, I would see myself maybe in Syracuse.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
That is part of the problem. Lack of appreciation for what we have available to us. If someone is having a hard time making a living in FL, they need to look into themselves and not into to FL to find where the problem is. Seems a lot of people believe that in other cities and towns people are earning $20 an hour for jobs that pay $10 an hour here. That is far from the truth.

Indeed there are places that have higher paying jobs and the costs of living in those places may be inline with the COL here in FL. However, there are just as many higher paying jobs here if you are qualified to do the job in the first place. Qualifications and ability to do a job is where the money comes from.

Also, keep in mind that where you find an abundance of well paying jobs you will be looking at a higher COL overall and a much larger part of the population in poverty.

The paychecks in Provo Utah are not much different than those in Tampa FL.
Yea like I once was BEFORE going to the West Coast and living and actually seeing how bad it truly was. I only was able to go because of a family situation otherwise I'd never voluntarily trade FL for CA. Even as bad as I thought FL was, I wouldn't willingly leave FL for California unless some other plan was in the works like going to another potentially affordable good place with weather I'd think suited me like I thought Portland in my case was because I like rain and clouds but then when I got stuck in CA where theres NO rain after Portland failed me and didn't work out for me, I factored in jobs, employment, and climate and found FL is the best possible place for me and would be grateful to be back if I could. So yes I recommend to those who think FL sucks, they need to re evaluate themselves or try living in another place for a bit.

Also in Utah period I keep hearing about how its one of the more low cost alternatives out west to move now for young professionals but for me its too far west and can still be prone to Californication. Colorado is more east and look at whats happening there.

Last edited by GoldCountry80; 09-17-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have dealt with that poster b/4. Just another confused non-Floridian.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Thankfully we have 50 states, several territories and possessions that people can choose from.
Some of them have the same climate, most have different laws. Populations vary as do the demographics.
People can choose based on all kinds of factors. Cost of living, types of work available, weather, all kinds of factors. It is up to each individual to research a potential candidate for a relocation based on their needs.

When we were looking to relocate from NYC, Florida was pretty high on the list because we had been here often and knew what was going on by subscribing to the Orlando newspaper. A second choice was Houston, Texas, a city I had only been to once but I would have gotten a job transfer to there. There was no internet then. The big source of on line information was CompuServe Information Service and we researched all we could there and had local contacts for advice. 25 years later, no regrets. No second guessing on where else we could have gone. When we sold our house in Orlando 9 years ago we had the cash to relocate anywhere we wanted. We wanted Central Florida.

What amazes me is the depths some people go to tell the world how horrible FL is. They come up with the most ridiculous commentary though little to none of it is valid, but continue to crow on about
the heat, bugs, traffic, weather over all, lack of mountains, no change of seasons, no jobs, low paying jobs, lousy drivers, lousy government, you name it, they have a complaint about it. A reasonable person would think that if someone had a bad experience, no matter what it was, they would want to put that bad experience out of their minds and move on. Chalk up the mistake of trying to live in FL to personal error. However, nobody wants to admit to their mistakes and it becomes their personal mission to launch attacks on a place through the only outlet they have, the internet. That is OK because any reasonable person could find out through simple research what is accurate and what is mindless nonsense. It's just a shame that people have to wade through threads that go back and forth with Floridians responding to the complaints some have.

What is really disturbing is those who got their wish and left Florida only to return to internet sites to
continue to voice their displeasure of Florida. Some use the excuse "I have ties there", "I have property there" "I have friends there". Why have any ties to a place that brought/brings such displeasure? And if they do have ties to Florida what is the purpose of continuing the rants? I think the answer to that is simple. Their lives are so empty and they have so much time on their hands, doing what they do is their only outlet for their frustrations of their day to day lives. Otherwise they would have something else to concentrate their thinking on.

Also, note that many of the FL detractors like to announce their alleged experience of being world travelers, having lived in various states and countries, having high levels of education, high paying occupations etc. Yet they find complaining about Florida to be the highlight of their day. Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Yea like I once was BEFORE going to the West Coast and living and actually seeing how bad it truly was. I only was able to go because of a family situation otherwise I'd never voluntarily trade FL for CA. Even as bad as I thought FL was, I wouldn't willingly leave FL for California unless some other plan was in the works like going to another potentially affordable good place with weather I'd think suited me like I thought Portland in my case was because I like rain and clouds but then when I got stuck in CA where theres NO rain after Portland failed me and didn't work out for me, I factored in jobs, employment, and climate and found FL is the best possible place for me and would be grateful to be back if I could. So yes I recommend to those who think FL sucks, they need to re evaluate themselves or try living in another place for a bit.

Also in Utah period I keep hearing about how its one of the more low cost alternatives out west to move now for young professionals but for me its too far west and can still be prone to Californication. Colorado is more east and look at whats happening there.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Thankfully we have 50 states, several territories and possessions that people can choose from.
Some of them have the same climate, most have different laws. Populations vary as do the demographics.
People can choose based on all kinds of factors. Cost of living, types of work available, weather, all kinds of factors. It is up to each individual to research a potential candidate for a relocation based on their needs.

When we were looking to relocate from NYC, Florida was pretty high on the list because we had been here often and knew what was going on by subscribing to the Orlando newspaper. A second choice was Houston, Texas, a city I had only been to once but I would have gotten a job transfer to there. There was no internet then. The big source of on line information was CompuServe Information Service and we researched all we could there and had local contacts for advice. 25 years later, no regrets. No second guessing on where else we could have gone. When we sold our house in Orlando 9 years ago we had the cash to relocate anywhere we wanted. We wanted Central Florida.

What amazes me is the depths some people go to tell the world how horrible FL is. They come up with the most ridiculous commentary though little to none of it is valid, but continue to crow on about
the heat, bugs, traffic, weather over all, lack of mountains, no change of seasons, no jobs, low paying jobs, lousy drivers, lousy government, you name it, they have a complaint about it. A reasonable person would think that if someone had a bad experience, no matter what it was, they would want to put that bad experience out of their minds and move on. Chalk up the mistake of trying to live in FL to personal error. However, nobody wants to admit to their mistakes and it becomes their personal mission to launch attacks on a place through the only outlet they have, the internet. That is OK because any reasonable person could find out through simple research what is accurate and what is mindless nonsense. It's just a shame that people have to wade through threads that go back and forth with Floridians responding to the complaints some have.

What is really disturbing is those who got their wish and left Florida only to return to internet sites to
continue to voice their displeasure of Florida. Some use the excuse "I have ties there", "I have property there" "I have friends there". Why have any ties to a place that brought/brings such displeasure? And if they do have ties to Florida what is the purpose of continuing the rants? I think the answer to that is simple. Their lives are so empty and they have so much time on their hands, doing what they do is their only outlet for their frustrations of their day to day lives. Otherwise they would have something else to concentrate their thinking on.

Also, note that many of the FL detractors like to announce their alleged experience of being world travelers, having lived in various states and countries, having high levels of education, high paying occupations etc. Yet they find complaining about Florida to be the highlight of their day. Strange.
I guess what puzzles me about these folks is why, if they dislike a place as intensely as they claim ( whether it's Florida, or anywhere else), they dwell on it, give it "rent-free" space in their heads, so to speak, to the point that they spend so much time commenting on their perceived negatives of the place. If I had moved to a location I found miserable, and didn't want to spend my life there, I'd do my best to move somewhere else, move on with my life, and not look back. I know this is a rhetorical comment, as these folks look at posting on forums as a game. Their exaggerated negative comments is part of that game, the better to engage others they hope will react to those comments and continue the game...

What they don't like is being ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida