Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Seems like we have gotten off topic a bit. Let's please keep the topic to Florida from this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
A lot of ignorance in this thread. Many south Asians are also recruited as doctors in underserved areas.
Yes, they are. However, it's not ignorant to notice that many hotels are run by people with a South Asian heritage. That's not an insult, is it? I'm sure there are plenty of Vietnamese doctors and teachers, but the majority of the nail salons are owned by Vietnamese-Americans. So what?

I mean, I'm Jewish and I resent it when people automatically assume things about me, but I also realize that some of the generalizations are true. For example, there are a lot of Jews in the entertainment business. If somebody mentioned there are many Jewish comedians like Billy Crystal and Jerry Seinfeld, it's not bigotry or ignorance, and I certainly can't take offense.

I've tried to be the most politically correct person on the planet, but watching every word you say becomes so stressful that it is difficult to enjoy a civil discussion with anyone.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Seems like we have gotten off topic a bit. Let's please keep the topic to Florida from this point.
Sorry, I just read your post. I wanted to answer/defend a post that referred to my comment as "ignorant."

Seems as if lately every thread has gone off-topic. It will probably get worse as we head into 2016.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:22 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Thousands of Syrian Muslims coming to Florida
I'm visiting Titusville and can't believe how depressed the area is - (d/t National Space Program/NASA cutbacks, I'm sure). Really sad to see. Bring the Syrians here. Let them take over all the businesses that are defunct, empty, run down -

Old 09-20-2015, 03:27 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
how do they decide where all the refugees go and which city gets stuck paying for everything? There has to be some sort of process? Does the city in FL even have a say?

Old 09-20-2015, 04:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm visiting Titusville and can't believe how depressed the area is - (d/t National Space Program/NASA cutbacks, I'm sure). Really sad to see. Bring the Syrians here. Let them take over all the businesses that are defunct, empty, run down -
Tbh, Titusville kinda blows as far as Brevard goes. Go check out cocoa village or downtown Melbourne.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
how do they decide where all the refugees go and which city gets stuck paying for everything? There has to be some sort of process? Does the city in FL even have a say?
The usual resettlement process involves giving grants non-profit groups that have been doing that sort of thing since the fall of Saigon led to massive Vietnamese refugees entering the countries and letting them do their thing. They're commonly Christian organizations that provide services in a non-denominational way, and have previously handled Muslin resettlement during the worst of the Yugoslavian civil war. (My old home town in Michigan ended up with a good-sized Bosnian Muslim population quite quickly in the 1990s.)

While there might be some Syrians who eventually end up in Florida, the bulk of them would go to metro Detroit, New Jersey and greater L.A. where there are large existing Syrian communities, and another cluster would end up in Minneapolis along with the Hmong and Somalis because every refugee population these days seems to have a good subgroup end up in the Twin Cities.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Tbh, Titusville kinda blows as far as Brevard goes. Go check out cocoa village or downtown Melbourne.
If you're going to place refugees somewhere, take the area that "blows" and needs a population surge. Wouldn't be surprised if Syrians would improve the area economically....

Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Is it not the Syrian Christians that need relocating? The religious minority in Syria is under constant attack. The Syrian Muslims should go to other Muslim countries....u know to be with other Muslims. There's a long and brutal history of Muslims discriminating and persecuting Christians in Syria.

We should agree to take in the persecuted Syrian Christians.... As they face discrimination and violence daily. Not the Muslims....as they can find other countries better suited for them and their religion.
Your comment makes too much sense to be taken seriously! Our "politically correct" nation does not want Christians from Syria- only muslims.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The usual resettlement process involves giving grants non-profit groups that have been doing that sort of thing since the fall of Saigon led to massive Vietnamese refugees entering the countries and letting them do their thing. They're commonly Christian organizations that provide services in a non-denominational way, and have previously handled Muslin resettlement during the worst of the Yugoslavian civil war. (My old home town in Michigan ended up with a good-sized Bosnian Muslim population quite quickly in the 1990s.)

While there might be some Syrians who eventually end up in Florida, the bulk of them would go to metro Detroit, New Jersey and greater L.A. where there are large existing Syrian communities, and another cluster would end up in Minneapolis along with the Hmong and Somalis because every refugee population these days seems to have a good subgroup end up in the Twin Cities.
The ELCA Lutheran Church has done a lot of refugee resettlement. Also, if the refugees don't like their resettlement site, they can move anywhere in the country they want to go. It's called a secondary resettlement. I see some of them heading for Dearborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida