Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:01 PM

136 posts, read 366,985 times

Advertisements

I have just graduated from College in Illinois where I currently live. I have an elementary education degree and middle school endorsements. I am looking for a job as a middle school teacher in Florida. I have filled out the online application for many different school districts, including, Palm Beach, Manatee county, Broward County, Lee County, Indian River county and Hillsborough. As you can see, I am not set on a specific area. I have been to both the gulf side and the ocean side of Florida and love them both.
Since I am not picky on location, how long do you think it will take me to find a job as a middle school language arts or social studies teacher?
Any response would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 05:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,941,355 times
Check the websites of the various school districts. I know that Broward posts all job openings on its website. It's easier to get a job if you are applying for a specific job than if you are just submitting your resumes into general HR people. It also helps because if you are called in for an interview and the principal likes you but hires someone else he may remember you for another opening.

Good luck. Just remember that teachers don't make all that much money in FL.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:09 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,950,539 times
I know of a job opening for a 7th grade social studies teacher in Sarasota county. The job opening is at my kids school Pine View School for the Gifted If you DM me I will give you the details that I know.

This school is ranked #6 the in the US by US News and consistently ranks among the best public schools in the nation.

Shannon

Old 01-01-2008, 12:19 AM

136 posts, read 366,985 times
Default Could you help?

Momma Bear,
You said teachers don't make that much in Florida, but from what I have found the average starting salary of a first year teacher in Illinois is between 29,000 and 35,000 and for Florida I have found about 32,000 to 39,000. I have read on many posts that teachers don't make much in Florida, but I don't undersand why everyone is saying that. If anyone knows, I would love to hear your views on the topic!
Thanks

Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
Momma Bear,
You said teachers don't make that much in Florida, but from what I have found the average starting salary of a first year teacher in Illinois is between 29,000 and 35,000 and for Florida I have found about 32,000 to 39,000. I have read on many posts that teachers don't make much in Florida, but I don't undersand why everyone is saying that. If anyone knows, I would love to hear your views on the topic!
Thanks
Look at the following link: http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/teacher/TeachSalSch.html (broken link)

You will see that the starting salary is not that bad at $38.5K, but after 10 years you are only making $41.7K. I am back in school at a local university studying music education. It is shocking to me how little experienced teachers make here, although starting salaries are ok.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 AM

139 posts, read 375,759 times
Quote:
I have just graduated from College in Illinois where I currently live. I have an elementary education degree and middle school endorsements. I am looking for a job as a middle school teacher in Florida. I have filled out the online application for many different school districts, including, Palm Beach, Manatee county, Broward County, Lee County, Indian River county and Hillsborough. As you can see, I am not set on a specific area. I have been to both the gulf side and the ocean side of Florida and love them both.
Since I am not picky on location, how long do you think it will take me to find a job as a middle school language arts or social studies teacher?
Any response would be great!
Have you checked out Lake County yet? There has been a slight shortage of teachers for the last few years.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 AM

23 posts, read 105,475 times
Palm Beach County pays fairly well too, but where you get hit as a teacher in FL is a combination of health insurance benefits severely lacking in comparison to other parts of the country as well as a higher cost of living in most areas.

So, the $35K you might start out earning, is equivalent to about $20-$25K in other parts of the nation. You can't look at straight dollars. Look at how the beginning salary compares to home cost and what the cost of insurance is, then make a decision and comparison.

With that said, the next two years is probably the best possible time in recent memory for people to make a move to teach in FL. House prices are falling hard, and you can now find decent places in nice areas to live for under $300K. You can actually find places now for under $200K, which is still more than other parts of the country but not bad overall.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool Junior View Post
Palm Beach County pays fairly well too, but where you get hit as a teacher in FL is a combination of health insurance benefits severely lacking in comparison to other parts of the country as well as a higher cost of living in most areas.

So, the $35K you might start out earning, is equivalent to about $20-$25K in other parts of the nation. You can't look at straight dollars. Look at how the beginning salary compares to home cost and what the cost of insurance is, then make a decision and comparison.

With that said, the next two years is probably the best possible time in recent memory for people to make a move to teach in FL. House prices are falling hard, and you can now find decent places in nice areas to live for under $300K. You can actually find places now for under $200K, which is still more than other parts of the country but not bad overall.
How can someone who is making $40K a year afford a $300K house? This is one of the problems teaching in FL.

Assuming a 20% down payment, and a 7% interest rate a person needs to finance $240K on a $300K house. Taxes are about $5250 annually and insurance around $1875 annually. The P&I on the loan is $1596. The total monthly housing cost is around $2190 per month, which is about 66% of their total income. Even a $200K home cost works out to about 44% of their total income. Traditional underwriting suggests that your housing expense should not exceed 28% of your monthly income.

Now, if the OP has a working spouse with additional income that changes the picture, but if he is hoping to buy a house in Broward County on a teacher's salary I would tell him to stay put for a while. I am really only familiar with Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties. I cannot comment on the rest of the state (which I think is cheaper than this area).

Real estate is falling hard but has not fallen to where a single family home can be purchased in a nice area for under $125K, which is about where you would need to be for a person with a $40K income (assuming a 20% dp and 7% interest rate). I did see some really small, old properties in dicey neighborhoods in that price range, but my guess is that a teacher would not be happy there. A condo in that price range could probably be had in a decent neghborhood though.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,950,539 times
North Port (Sarasota county) has some very nice, new homes in fine areas for around $125,000-$130,000. I do agree with your assessment though, Momma_Bear.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM

672 posts, read 908,328 times
Default My daughter is a first year teacher

Quote:
Momma Bear,
Thanks
in NYC. She is making $43,000 and her salary will increase in May to $45,000. Her fiance has been teaching for 3 years in NYC and this May will be making $62,000. My daughter is renting a one bedroom in Queens (downstairs in private house) for $750 a month.

I am a ESE TA. The teacher in the classroom where I work has been teaching for 10 years and said she doesn't even come close to what my daughter's fiance is making after only 3 years.

That is why we say teachers don't make much money here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida