Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 118,467 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all of the posts from Palm Beach County on up to Jacksonville-east coast to west coast and everyone seems to be saying that all of the towns we've been looking at-Palm Beach, Palm Coast, Naples, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Jacksonville, St. Augustine... the gamut.... are all not safe to live in, raise a child, walk on the street, etc.

Is there a community for a couple looking to rent a home, NOT BUY ONE, to enjoy the sun and snow-free winter while living on a modest salary and be able to not hear their neighbors blasting bass-based noise or beer bottles breaking with profanities shouted?

People who know about Florida and live there and are not completely biased against living there... can you please answer...

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 01:11 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,889 times
Smile I think there are plenty of nice areas

You should look to rent a home in Deep Creek which is in Charlotte County.
The neighborhood is safe and clean. There are alot of homes for rent that are brand new!!!! You can go to the malls, beaches, walk through Punta Gorda without worrying!

Old 11-05-2006, 04:30 PM

39 posts, read 273,424 times
Cool Safe Area

There are some safe areas in Florida. Yes, Florida has one of the highest crime rates. Who knows why, maybe because since 1960 the population of Florida has tripled. I have my thoughts about why the crime rate is high here, but I don't want to get into that arguement. But to answer your question Yes, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Florida. If you look at the stats the Crime Rate in Florida has drop since the 80's.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:48 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
Florida is very safe. Please take into consideration where some of these posters reside. We sleep with our doors open in Vero Beach. I walk the beach at night.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:53 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
Florida is very safe. Please take into consideration where some of these posters reside. We sleep with our doors open in Vero Beach. I walk the beach at night.
Big Plus 1...............................................

Old 11-05-2006, 05:56 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Big Plus 1...............................................
Translated this means what???

Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,090 times
I agree with Ponytail. I have lived in Vero most of my life and have always felt safe. I depends on where you live in town of course and I don't sleep with my doors unlocked but I do leave my doors unlocked during the day.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
I need to ask the ones that say that Florida is not safe.

Questions: How many times has someone broke in your home?

How many people kill in your block?

How many rapes with 5 miles?

How many times was your car stolen?

Now I live in Northwest Florida, town of Navarre for 8 years and have not had a problem. I lived in Satellite Beach for 4 years and did leave the door open and nothing ever happen (off base housing). Moved to Homestead and this was a bit strange town, but Hurricane Andrew got me a one way ticket to San Antonio Tx.

Florida is a safe state, all depend on your location within a town/city. Nothing different from NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, San Antonio, Vegas or LA. Crime is found in the whole country, but my fellow members need to answer my questions. Can something happen to YOU? YES, what are your chances, depend on your location, due your research and evaluate your options. Waiting on your replies....

Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 AM

92 posts, read 457,143 times
Default Coral Springs was named one of the safest cities in the country

Coral Springs in Top 10 survey of safe U.S. cities
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15889494.htm (broken link)

Last edited by SoFlaGuy; 11-06-2006 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: added title of article

Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 AM

11 posts, read 91,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsynner View Post
while living on a modest salary and be able to not hear their neighbors blasting bass-based noise or beer bottles breaking with profanities shouted?
Ok this is for sure a sensitive subject with a lot of Floridians so bear with me. I know you said you want to rent and not buy, but it is just as expensive.

I have lived in NW Florida all my life. I used to love FL. I grew up surfing Pensacola beach, graduated from a local university and had a great time and felt very safe. I never saw myself leaving. I have lived in Pace, Pensacola, Navarre and Tallahassee.

Unfortunately I am looking to leave this state due to the increasing cost of living. It seems that investors have purchased most of the housing market here and there is no way that on a modest salary you can live and work here. I have seen what appears to be an exodus of people leaving the area too. If you go on any other near by states forums you will see lots of people saying they are looking to get out of FL because they can't afford it. Pretty soon the middle class will be driven out of FL and there will only be rich and poor.

I refuse to pay $250k for some junk house built in the 70's in the bad part of town here when you can go to many of the surrounding states and get something brand new for a lot less, in a nice community that actually has a yard.

My wife and I are both college graduates, we have no children and earn a pretty decent income, but the housing market is way too expensive for us to afford a decent 3bdrm house in a decent part of town. I am not about to spend 75% of my income on a home. Where as when my parents were starting out they were half the age I am now, had two kids, no college degrees and they could afford to buy a 3bdrm house in a decent neighborhood. For sure the cost of living has risen since they were young and the hurricanes over the last few years have driven up the housing market also, but this big of a gap is ridiculous.

I am willing to bet that 90% of the people here that currently own a home couldn't afford to buy that house now if they had to purchase it again today. With the real estate boom here since about 2000 and the huge amount of people investing in real estate here, it is no longer a cheap place to live. If you bought a house before that you are set, but if you are looking to start out now, you are pretty screwed.

And as for the loud neighbors blasting bass and stuff you will get that anywhere you go. There are inconsiderate people everywhere and will always be kids that age and people like that, you will never escape that. You just need to check out the place you are looking to live first and check out the neighbors. Drive through there during different times of the day and on the weekends to make sure you are not living beside the party house of the neighborhood. Try to find some place where you actually have a yard and have a little privacy from the people next door. Most new neighborhoods seem to be these cookie cutter homes crammed in together where you hear everything that your neighbor is doing.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 11-06-2006 at 07:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida